SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jopardue

Need Help with Kitchen Design Layout

missyjo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are doing a complete kitchen remodel. New cabinets, countertops, flooring and appliances. I am attaching the most recent design from the KD. We are relocating our dishwasher from the right of the sink to the left, but the sink must stay where it is and also the cooktop. We are getting rid of a peninsula and replacing it with an island. On the refrigerator wall we are taking out a pantry closet and replacing it with a tall pantry cabinet and more counter space with uppers. The wall oven will stay where it is now.

My big dilemma is the refrigerator wall. Because we have a peninsula now, access to the frig/pantry/ovens is unobstructed. I want the island for a lot of reasons, but am trying to avoid it becoming a barrier island.

This latest version does have the island blocking the frig a good bit. We tried flip flopping the frig. and pantry, but the frig closes up the oven access too much (btw, the doorway next to wall oven is to a formal dining room which is seldom used, so that is not a high traffic area).

KD strongly recommends not making pantry less than 24 inches wide...she prefers 30 inches for our house in our neighborhood. With that in mind I was thinking of reducing the pantry that she has drawn to 18 inches (to the left of frig) and adding another 18 inch pantry to the right of the frig.. making a total 36 inches of pantry space (just split up).The counters on the end would go from 48 inches to 36 inches...which is okay with me...but I'd prefer for it not to go much shorter, if possible. Is 18 inches too narrow for a tall pantry to be useful.

Any other thoughts? We can flex the island some too. I would like it to be at least be 5 X 2.5 as that is the approximate size of the peninsula I have now and don't want to lose that in this re-design.

I want to keep the kitchen in this footprint and not extend into the breakfast area or formal dining room.

The house is a 3000 sq ft, 4 bdrm, 3.5 bath house in upscale neighborhood. We bought the home when we were a family of 6, but now it is just my husband and me. We plan to sell in the next 5-10 years. I am the only cook except when my children come to visit, which is about once a year.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida