SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
cnettrouer

Rockin Horse Farm by DE Wiggins

C Nettrouer
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Looking for feedback on "Rockin Horse Farm" by DE Wiggins.
Planning to build on 5 acres in NE Indiana for the wife and I within the next 2 years. We have no kids and are in our late 30s. Our parents are in good health, but do foresee grandparents needing help here soon. The wife's GPs are in their late 80s, early 90s and living on their own. They live in a 2 story house and still do most of their own yard work. I do want to offer them a place to stay when they are ready.

Our current home is 1800 sq/ft ranch, 3 bed, 2 bath on a crawlspace. Nothing special, just a typical builder-grade tract house on a quiet 1 acre lot. We do like our location and the house is adequate for 2 people but would be tight for future guests.
The 2 biggest issues with our current home is it lacks storage space (basement) and does not fit with my work lifestyle.

I work as a locomotive engineer and am unfortunately on call 24/7. Many say working for the railroad is a "lifestyle" instead of a job, because your life revolves around the railroad. I receive numerous calls throughout the night related to work which disrupts the wife's sleep (very light sleeper). Getting ready for work is also an issue as she usually can hear me in the kitchen or typing away at the keyboard in the next room. Our previous house was a 2 story (w/ basement) and allowed me to get ready on a different floor to prevent waking her.

The short list of our requirements:

- 4 bedroom (3 bedroom + office)

- 3 bathrooms (at least 1 per floor)

- main level master bedroom & guest bedroom

- 10' poured basement (unfinished)

- over-sized 2 car side load garage

- radiant hot water heat

- energy efficiency and low maintenance exterior are higher priorities that interior finishes

- budget $400k

I do plan on contacting an architect when I get further along to polish the design and make sure there are no glaring mistakes. So far I'm drawn to "Rockin Horse Farm" by DE Wiggins because of the main level layout. I'm not a fan of the vaulted family room / foyer. I would also like to change the second floor layout after the vaulted family room/foyer are removed.

Right now I'm just concentrating for suggestions on the main level.

"Rockin Horse Farm" by DE Wiggins

- 1953 Sq Ft ( First Floor), 461 Sq Ft (Second Floor) + 529 Bonus.

My list of changes for the main level:

- Remove vaulted ceiling in family room & foyer

- Change garage to side load (10' wide garage doors)

- Add a foyer closet if possible

- Change master bathroom toilet door to a pocket door

- Standard size refrigerator instead of built-in

- Add windows to front of garage

- Remove the perimeter step in the garage

- Add linen closet by main level bathroom (cut into master closet)

- Increase size of master shower

- Remove door to basement steps and open stairway.

Comments (151)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars79 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area