SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_100850

Advice for overwintering fig trees

Joe F
8 years ago

Hi - I'm new here and new to growing figs. I planted two Chicago Hardy fig trees in spring and want to protect mine. I’m hoping for some advice on a few things:

No Fruit - My barber’s tree was planted at about 12” tall, the same that mine was when I planted it this past spring. In his case the tree bore fruit in its first year. Almost 20 figs. In my case, while the tree grew to well over 3 feet tall, I didn’t get a single fruit or see a hint of a bud. Would anyone know why neither of my trees would show any sign of fruit?

Pruning before winter – I’ve received different advice on pruning from “cut back half of the tree” to “don’t cut anything, just tie it up and cover it.” We had a couple of cold nights recently and the leaves are now curled up and wilted, yet they’ve not fallen off. They’re even still pretty green. So, should I be cutting these leaves off before they fall naturally? And should I be cutting some of these branches off? Or just the little suckers?

We’re getting to the point here where nights are dipping to freezing temperatures so I’m thinking I need to act sooner than later....BTW - My plan to over-winter is to build up the soil around it to effectively raise the frost line under the tree and then to tie up in burlap and cover with large black garbage bags, Hoping the black will gather a bit of heat.

I welcome all thoughts.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm