SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Water pressure loss after a recent well tank project

baymee
8 years ago

I'll try to keep it brief. The history: 40 years ago I drilled a well and put a pit around it and installed a large Welltrol tank. It is located between my and my neighbor's house (my brother's house) and we live about 100 feet apart. For the past 40 years we have used the centrally located Welltrol tank to supply both houses with water. Never a problem.

About 10 years ago I noticed the tank in the pit was rusting and we bought separate smaller Welltrol tanks but only I installed mine. My brother continued to mooch off of me with only a pipe going into his house, using the pressure from the two Welltrol tanks Never a problem.

Recently I went into the pit and heard hissing. The pressure in the empty tank was now 18# instead of the required 38#. My tank was at 38#. I told my brother that he better get his tank installed because the old tank was failing. He reluctantly installed it. Until now, the pressure switch and electricity was operating off the tank inside my house. The old tank in the pit was just a buffer.

After he installed his tank and pressure switch, it was his turn to pay for the water. But since then, my high pressure reading on my house gauge has dropped by 10# to 50# on the high side and about 15# on the low side. We checked the tank in his house and the empty tank has 38# of pressure above the bladder and the pump shuts off at 60# and restarts at 40#.

So, what's the deal? There are no obstructions between the house piping. How can a straight pipe from his house to mine cause my pressure to drop so low (15#) before his tank switch kicks in at 40#?

Some thoughts: Is my Welltrol tank, charged to 38# causing the issue? Is the old tank in the pit hissing air causing the issue? Should I chnge my tank bladder pressure? He has lots of pressure in his house and I barely get any water at 15#. When the well pump recharges the tanks, the pressure (50#) is fine, but when it drops to 15#, I can barely take a shower. The check valve, and only one check valve, at the top of the well pipe, seems to be holding. We aren't having phantom pressure loss. It's probably a simple physics issue.

Looking for any suggestions as to what I should do. Thanks.

Comment