angela_shults

Does this table vignette work?

J Kildman
8 years ago

I'm not totally sure....

Comments (112)

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I don't have time to read through all the other posts, sorry, but I would center the wreath, put the bird figurine on one side, and the picture on the other. I would also take the frame off the easel stand and just prop it on its own stand. It looks too fussy IMO with the metal stand.

I would also put the bird cage elsewhere and paint that metal register the same color as the wall so it blends in and you don't feel the need to hide it.

• User
    8 years ago

Wow, that was fast! ;) I like the wreath. I would try raising it and putting the photo back in the center.

• Related Discussions

Gardening table vignette

Q

Comments (30)
    Kathleen, My DH doesn't even know how to turn my washer or dryer on and I'm sure he doesn't want to! LOL And when he says he's cooking I know it's either breakfast or on the grill and when it's on the grill it's only the meat. Secondhandrose, Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check the dollar stores. I bet your gift was really cute with the flowered gloves as a bow. That's a great idea. Sal, Thank you for the tip on the antique medium. And I wanted to let you know that I received your email tonight, but still can't email you. I love the mailbox and milk can you painted. And I'm checking the website for the paints. I used the gardening vignette on the kitchen table tonight for dinner and DH thought the daffodils (Narcissus?) were silk flowers. He had to pull one out before he would believe me. All of the flowers are blooming in my yard right now.
    ...See More

St. Patrick's Table and last year's vignette

Q

Comments (5)
    I checked the blog crawl last night..what fun! And of course your St Pat's table is darling. What a great tablecloth! Gosh, looking at the stump house (which I LOVED last year also) gave me one of those lightbulb moments! Now if you'll just PLEASE remind me NEXT St Paddy's. LOL. In my garage stash of stuff for Garden Junk is a ceramic stump house I found at GW a year ago! I was going to work it into a new fairy garden and never did. Now you've made me want to use it for my leprechauns a vignette! Thank you. (just wish it was this year) hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Art above the LR side table. Does this work?

Q

Comments (8)
    Red - Yes that's what I meant. I'll cut out some poster board tonight and check it out. I have a few other things in the attic that I have no place for because they don't coordinate with anything. I'm finally ready to get rid of the stuff but that clock still has a hold on me. It's just different and I really like the face. I hope you eventually find a place for your favorite treasures! Brownysmom - I do agree that spot could use a bigger table but that one will stay. (At least for now until I find a table on CL I like better......... :) I'm trying not to look.) Out of all the furniture I own that one is close to the top of my favorites. I think it would be nice to have a lamp there. I'm going to try doing some rearranging again this weekend. I'm open to other suggestions as to what or how many items to stick on that table! Jen - I know what you mean. I think sometimes it can be pulled off and look nice. Maybe if another item is added? Usually it looks like you forced it to work. I appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions guys. Thanks!
    ...See More

Does this console table work?

Q

Comments (73)
    It's been a couple of years and we're finally getting around to addressing this room. We purchased the console table a few years ago and love it. Now we're going to paint shelves and beam white and replace the current mantle with an updated shaker mantle surround. We're also replacing the mosaic travertine stone with ledger-stone. I've been reviewing everyone's advice on pulling the couch closer to the fireplace and chair. I agree it'll look better and cozier. We're going to also add a coffee table. My question is... will it look funny to have 2 feet of space between couch and wall?
    ...See More
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

More (sorry). Still not right to me... I raised the wreath too.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Your hubby is going to hate me but I think the mirror is hanging too high and having so much 'bare' wall is affecting how the vignette looks.

J Kildman thanked k9arlene
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh no you think? It's 6" off the table.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I think the photo/frame looks SO much better without the stand.

J Kildman thanked Bunny
  • MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

I think that looks great! I suggested the Audubon prints because you kind of have a bird theme. The cage, the bird on the table and you have another bird on the adjacent bookcase. Here's an example:

You could do something like this:

J Kildman thanked MagdalenaLee
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow that's so pretty MagdalenaLee! :-). Thank for showing me that. My ONLY concern... I have so much going on in the bookcases right next to it. Will it look too busy because of the bookcases?

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

Frankly, in my opinion, given the complete wall area (not just your pictures of the immediate area), I would (if mine) completely forego the mirror and, instead, put a big "something" (print? mirror? textile?) hanging from up close to the level of the railing above and hanging down toward the table. I wouldn't try to combine it with the table. Please show (again?) a picture of the room with the top of the wall down to the bottom. I think that whole space is craving for something and to just focus on the chest and what's on it, and the mirror directly above it, separates things too much. I'd like to see a big wall hanging, bringing the 2 areas together.

J Kildman thanked Suzieque
  • User
    8 years ago

I think the height of the mirror is perfect.

J Kildman thanked User
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Suzieque - here are more angles of the room. Please excuse the mess on the coffee table and decor on end table and pillows. All a work in progress lol

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

I think some prints would look fine next to the bookcase.

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

BTW, your room is very warm and inviting!

• User
    8 years ago

Mirror height is fine. I like the wreath better. Glad you brought it back. Also agree with ditching the easel - I had that suggested in my first comment, but think I ended up deleting? While I like helping, I feel like too much at once can be taken/read the wrong way so I try to avoid. :) I don't think art to the right of mirror would be too much. Maybe hanging in a more random pattern to keep the mirror and bookcase lines from becoming overpowering, and soften the area. Doing this with various sizes art would soften the lines even more.

J Kildman thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

You're room is very pretty! Bring more color from the FP art to the accessories on the chest. Exact or complimentary.

J Kildman thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'll be the odd man out. I think prints next to the mirror would be too much and would take away that "breathing space" that your eye needs as it travels around the room. And what a pretty room it is too!

EDITED: I do think a floor lamp behind your chair would be a nice way to complete this area though. Perhaps a swing arm that one could read by if desired.

J Kildman thanked User
  • oaktonmom
    8 years ago

I think the mirror is an inch to high. I don't think you need anything else on the wall next to the mirror. Lovely room. I have mirrors all over my house and am picky about the heights. Depending on what the mirror is above will dictate how high it should be. You'd be surprised what a difference an inch could make. Even seeing the mirror before it was hung, just proped up on the chest, I like seeing less bare wall between the two.

J Kildman thanked oaktonmom
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A lamp like this? In between the chest and chair, right?

• User
    8 years ago

Yes. That's a pretty one!

J Kildman thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

After looking again at the height of your mirror and where it is in relation to the doorway, I agree that lowering it just an inch would be an improvement.

J Kildman thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Agree with Jen about the prints. This room is getting fussy. I saw in the mirror's reflection that you have at least three shelves filled with family photos. Lots and lots of small things throughout the room.

I would remove the chair and center the chest and mirror. Large upholstered chairs need a little breathing room. Can the chair be pulled into the seating area or is the cocktail table too large? Then chest and left bookcase can act as a backdrop to the seating. Otherwise I'd look for a smaller chair without rolled arms and in a color that won't blend with the wall and carpet. Or a chair with wood arms and upholstered seat and back, along with a taller back. It doesn't look like this chair would be the first choice for seating so I would treat it as an accent instead of a cozy reading corner.

J Kildman thanked User
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are adding wood and refinishing the main floor with medium brown hardwoods in the future so the carpet will be going. You still think the chair would need to go? It doesn't fit anywhere else in the room. The room's layout with the fireplace and entryways limit my seating options.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mayflowers - I'll need to take a pic of that gallery wall of family photos. Maybe I should move them to the upstairs hallway? I definitely do NOT want a cluttered look. I'd love to love inside a Pottery Barn magazine (drool). ;-)

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is on the wall opposite the fireplace...

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's one more pic set if this helps to show more of this room:

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Disclaimer: I have zero design credentials and it's much easier to suggest changes in another person's house than my own. :)

If that chair is going to remain in the corner, it needs lighting of some type. I like the idea of a floor lamp. I think the chair is a little too large for that corner, esp. when viewed from beyond the stairs.

You have a very warm home and lots of nice things to display. I do think that less is more and I would consider subtracting over adding.

J Kildman thanked Bunny
  • katrina_ellen
    8 years ago

I think simple is better, the wreath looks good, the bird needs to face the other way, towards the wreath. I don't like the photo as much anymore. Maybe try something you have that coordinates colorwise with the flower art as Allison mentioned. Nice home!

J Kildman thanked katrina_ellen
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

it's looking nice! I still think having the single subject photo is better than the trio on the table because it looks better from far as well as near-- and less 'busy'...

I probably would have left the candle sconces- don't think I would add any more pictures to the wall.... maybe a floor lamp will look nice there- tho I think you would have to put it in the corner rather than in between the table and the chair- i don't think there's enough room there for it to look good...?

J Kildman thanked busybee3
  • User
    8 years ago

After getting home and seeing your pictures on my laptop, I don't think you need more art in the corner. The view of that corner from front door into room will look extremely crowded if you add art.

I agree with the floor lamp, and that is a pretty one you posted. Just double check the height. Doesn't have to be between chair and chest - I would pull the chair out just a tad and put it behind the chair. Try it on the chest side first, then more towards the corner.

I would also push the sofa closer to the wall and down from the corner/edge of wall so that it isn't overlapping the entrance or past the opening. There is plenty of room on that wall to do both. Also, if/when you decide to buy new pillows for the sofas, go brighter so that they do not blend into the leather.

J Kildman thanked User
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok sounds great! Actually the sofa isn't sitting out of the wall. It's inside the wall. I think it just appears that way in pictures. I'm definitely going to buy new pillows. My current ones are flat and awful. Lol

I'm assuming I should remove the images behind the sofa and keep that wall blank?

Thank you everyone again and again! As you can tell, I'm clueless and very much appreciate all your incredible advise. :-)

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOVE Home Goods! That's where I recently purchased the one on the chair (down filled). I bought a ton of them the other day and returned them as they just didn't look right which is why I started asking about the bookcases, vingettes etc because I knew there was something wrong with the room.

• User
    8 years ago

The pillow on your chair is gorgeous! And don't worry about finding just the right pillows for the rest of the room -- you'll find 'em!

You're a lot of fun to work with here, because you ARE so good natured and kind about all of the comments made. You've gotten a lot of unsolicited advice! LOL!

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awe thanks aunjen! :) You're very sweet too. :)

• User
    8 years ago

I like the chair pillow also! The hunt is part of the fun (at least for me!). It doesn't have to be done in a few days. The display over the sofa doesn't bother me - I like seeing family photos. Agree about the crosses. At least in the photo, they appear to crowd the space. But I also have a friend that has a collection much larger than yours in her two story foyer and they look fine. Sometimes it is hard to tell in photos!

Auntjen is right, you are fun to work with!

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Allison - your so sweet and helpful too.

Do you honestly think the wall behind the sofa would look too bare if I removed the family photos? Reason being, after I removed the chunky mirror from the upstairs hallway (now incredibly bare looking) and put it over the chest, I thought it would be nice to display those photos there. But.... I don't want to move everything and then be disappointed. Those shelves were a booger to put up. lol

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks for the additional photos. Beautiful windows! Every wall has something interesting so not much is needed. You do need something over the sofa.

Is your sofa spaced away from the wall because of a placement issue? Was it to center the other sofa on the window? If you put your sofa against the wall, will you have room for your chair in the grouping? I think when you get your hardwoods, you'll want a rug, and then the corner chair will not be a part of the group. So you might want to think about how to include the chair into the group.

I would add a lamp to the table between the sofas since there are none in the room that I can see.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Why don't you put the smaller mirror up in the hallway to replace the one you brought down? I'd leave the shelves with photos behind the sofa, but I'm not sure I like the configuration and the two top ones seem too high. I'm a stickler about things being too high on a wall and I know that those shelves are a pain to hang.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another perspective from foyer and both of my dogs happened to step inside. Front door is open in the first pic (that's the outside wreath)

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Your room is so pretty and inviting. You have a chorus of different voices making suggestions, some opposing, so I agree that you are being very patient and accommodating. I like your photo wall and if you take them down to move them, I'm sure you'll want to hang some art or something there.

I don't mind your couch away from the wall at all. I think it gives some more dimension to the shelves behind, with no worries about bonking one's head on them! I would just be sure the sofa is centered below the shelves.

Your chair looks fine in that corner. It could use a couple more inches of space if you had it, but since you don't, I would just leave it. If the chest and mirror could move a couple inches to the left without interfering with the register, that might work. I'd play with the placement of the chair, forward, or back, a little angle this way or that to find the best place for it. I like the lamp you pictured and think it would complete that little corner. I vote "no" on more art on that wall next to the mirror.

• User
    8 years ago

If you move the photos upstairs (and shelves, I'm assuming) then you'll need to replace with something. The crosses are on a wall you'll see coming down the stairs, so it needs something. I would leave the photos and crosses for now. Someone just posted you will be getting hardwood installed? You'll might want to change and/or add a few things then - the ol' while-we're-at-it.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok I'll just leave the wall of kids pics. The coffee table can't be centered perfectly because otherwise the sofa will move into the walkway. Here are pics and again excuse the very messy table. Yes hardwoods in the spring.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Can you scoot all of the seating closer to the bank of windows? Tv viewing would be better from the love seat it you did.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok I'm officially driving myself looney with this vingette. How do you like this here? (Still need to lower the picture one inch):

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or maybe this layout?

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

I like your your last photo best, but if you have one in your arsenal of accessories, I'd like to see what it looks like if You replaced the bird with something low such as a decorative box or a candy dish.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I would also make myself crazy with this. Here's what I'd do: Take every single thing off the table and put it somewhere, even if it's in a closet, just out of sight so you're not tempted to futz with it. Live with the space blank for a day or more. I wouldn't worry about the mirror's height for now. Or take it down too. What's that space trying to tell you? Maybe it needs to rest a bit.

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

No opinion on all the various suggestions, but it looks as though you've been 'chasing your tail.' Accessorizing shouldn't be taken so seriously, it should be fun! Of course it's helpful to have opinions of others, but in the end, do what appeals to you. Some prefer the look of simplicity, others like a variety of several items, ask yourself that question, first. It's not about others validating what you do, it's about YOU liking what you do. I truly enjoy accessorizing, and while some may see it as over the top, it's what I personally like, and failed to hop on the downsizing 'train' trend. In my world, more is less~It's a good thing!

I'm surprised no one has posted ideas from pinterest, but maybe its viewed in the same category as blogs, many of which I find to be very inspirational, entertaining, as well as enlightening in the area of DIY projects. Anyway, here's one of the links for tabletop vignettes. If you're not confused enough, this might help push you over the edge. lol

https://www.pinterest.com/lynnesgiftsmore/table-top-vignettes/

• eld6161
    8 years ago

You have lots going on all over the room. Personally, I don't care for the mirror there, because for me, mirrors are first for function and second for decor. I would like to see a large piece of art there.

But, with the mirror, I would just put the vase with the flowers and center it in the middle.

I also like the idea of a floor lamp for a cozy reading corner.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

I like the mirror there, a lot, but wonder if what may be driving your dissatisfaction is the impact of what else is going on in the room which we really don't take into full consideration when viewing an isolated element. For me personally, I like a little 'more', for example, I have a lot going on in glass door bookcases, so I keep very little on my tables to make up for it, to create breathing room.

BTW, this has been a fun and interesting thread, and as stated previously, you've been such a good sport!

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company