SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodstea23

Another yard to manage

WoodsTea 6a MO
8 years ago

Recently my mother, who's in her 80s, had a stroke and is spending some time in a nursing facility doing therapy. We don't know yet whether she'll return home, move to an assisted living facility, etc. In the meantime I've been managing the house and yard, which are a couple of hours away, out in the Kansas Flint Hills.

It's been interesting to suddenly have a mostly non-native type yard again to work on. The other day I found a note on the door that said the local lawn chemical company had come by to spray the yard with this and that, plus one from a pest control company that apparently comes around once a quarter or so and spray the perimeter of the house to kill off evil spiders, crickets, etc.

I've been slowly adjusting the irrigation system, which used to be set to water the fescue and the beds of impatiens, etc. shallowly every day. Now it just runs once a week and will soon be turned off for the season.

From time to time I am tempted to think about what opportunities there would be to bring in some native plants, but I'm pretty much burned out on gardening for the year and wouldn't have the time for it anyway. A huge sycamore in the front yard there keeps me busy enough with its debris.

Looking forward to a winter rest and then a new year of planting in 2016...

Comments (3)

Sponsored