SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austin_bozarth

Carrara vs. Calacatta Marble

Austin B
8 years ago

We are deciding on our countertops. In our last kitchen we wanted Marble, but were scared off and went with White Fantasy. This was nice and strong, but not marble. We are doing the kitchen in our new home and we did find a slab of Mont Blanc (leather finish) which is quite nice. So we asked for pricing and this came in at over $12k. We have a price for Carrara for just $5k. what a difference. I do really like that leather finish, it was very cool to be able to actually feel the veins. With this cost difference, I think we are definitely going Marble. Why pay over twice as much for something that is a a substitute for Marble when I can get the real thing and have it fixed if I need to many times. So my question is now, what type of marble should we get. I have read a few of the articles here, but I wanted to know some particulars which I have not found out. I am thinking that we really just want to look at Carrara and Calacatta as we want a white/grey marble

1) Is Calacatta harder than Carrara and thus more resistant to either staining or scratches? I think I read that this might be the case and wanted to check.

2) I understand that Calacatta is rarer than Carrara, so what is the general price difference?

3) I am thinking that I would like a leather finish, with honed being our second choice. Are there any real concerns with a leather finish?

Comments (4)