SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xx0morgan0xx

Recovering Ginseng Ficus - advice

Garnet Ruby
8 years ago

BACKGROUND

Picked up a Ginseng Ficus Bonsai from Walmart (I know, a death camp for plants!) and I knew that she would have root rot. Regardless, she had BRIGHT green leaves, ALL over. When I scratched off the top of the bark, all bright green--everywhere. So I decided to give her a home. I just fell in love with her.

THE PROBLEM

Went to repot her to get rid of fungus gnats and because the 'soil' was watery gush-- and those god damn glued on rocks had to go. Sure enough, I was right--she had massive root rot. Total gush and a smell once I took her out. Needless to say, I cut off all of the infected roots. I put her in a new pot in barely moist soil, and let her stay that way about a week.

Now her problem is very slow growth. Some leaves have dark green veins and are threatening to turn yellow. I know this is an iron deficiency from using a fertilizer with no micro-nutrients (miracle gro quick-start: 4-12-4).
I've sprayed her with a better fertilizer (miracle gro bloom: 24-8-16) and have then fertilized her with this instead, because it also contains micronutrients. Quick-start does not.
Only very bottom leaves have turned yellow and fallen off (about 6 in the last two weeks). Otherwise, super healthy top half, and the bark is visibly green.

INFORMATION

Repotted in - Miracle Grow Regular Soil ((09/05/2015))

Top Dressed - nonclumping sand to forbid fungus gnats

Fertilized - 1st & 4th week with Miracle Gro Quick-Start (recommended use on bottle)

6th week with Miracle Gro Bloom Booster (to remedy nutrient deficiency)

Fungus/Insecticide - 1x treatment of neem oil, leaves, bark, and soil

Oxygen - I keep paper towels under the drainage hole to whick moisture

Light - Kept 4-5 hours a day 6in from leaf canopy ((just started two days ago))

MY QUESTION

1. Can I repot her even though it's been one month?

2. Suggestions to help her overcome iron deficiency and leaf drop? Suggestions to help root rot recovery? ((I know neem helps with root rot recovery, but I still want to check...)

3. Any way to check to see if she's recovering?

4. Am I using the right fertilizers?

Bright Green leaves
Green trunk and stem up top

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES