SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

Where do you put the tornado of crap that comes in with the kids?

rebeccamomof123
8 years ago

I'm talking about backpacks, library books, the random prize they won from the school prize box, hats, gloves, you know....all the crap.

My front hallway is small. For the 10 plus years we've lived in the house, I've had the same console table there from Pier 1 clearance section. It was the first new furniture I bought for the house. Under it are three baskets, one for each kid, for their shoes. I've trained them when they walk in to remove their shoes and put the in the basket. Shoes are not worn in the house.

Front hall closet is really small, which is barely enough for jackets for all 5 of us and a small shelf up top where i have baskets for hats, gloves, scarves.

What about backpacks? I don't want them up in their bedrooms because they do their homework at the island or dining table, not in their rooms. They usually just wind up in a heap I front of the table there, and I try to lean them next tot he table. But as kids get bigger (11, 9 and 5) the backpacks get bigger and heavier.

Would it be weird to put three hooks at their arms level, along the wainscoting, maybe with a wooden initial for their name above it? Should I get rid of the table all together and get a full entrance 'system' built in? My hallway is narrow so I don't think that would work.

This is an old picture (I spy my pre-remodeled kitchen) in it. But, the space and table is essentially the same. The red thing on the wall is where we hang keys, and it has little cubbies in it where we stick sunglasses, ear buds, etc. I'll try and post a newer photo tonight when I'm home from work.

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus