SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indytim640

Looking for a replacement power relay

indytim640
8 years ago

I have a GE Monogram dual-fuel oven. It's got a blown power relay, and I've come to find that GE no longer stocks that part, nor will GE provide any specifications for the part or any substitute. I've scoured the internet - I'm a pretty effective internet-scour-er, btw - and can't find the component for sale anywhere. Well, except for a guy on eBay who has apparently cornered that market and is asking 4x the price. Buying one from him would be my last-gasp, dying act (curse him).

I'm trying to identify a workable replacement. I've got everything figured out except for the coil (solenoid) amperage. The switched power is 240V, 5000W (21A). But the coil power... I do know that it's on the 120V side of the range. But I don't know what the coil amperage is.

I need to be able to pick the correct power relay which will be effectively operated by the existing coil circuit in the range. I'd rather not mess too much with modifying that circuit to adapt a different relay....

Here is what I think I can do:

1. Plan A) calculate the amperage required to activate existing relay, based on its coil measurements
  2. Plan B) just order what I think will work (about a $20.00 part), and see if it will activate if I plug it into the circuit. Obviously, I'd leave the 220V unconnected for this little experiment.
  3. Plan C) turn the range back on, and stick an ammeter in the coil circuit and measure it. carefully.

Any other thoughts? Are there industry standards for these sorts of things? Looking at all the relays out there, they seem to typically use 1-5 amps.

Comments (76)