SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nontoxspot

Cement/Encaustic Tile Maintenance

nontoxspot
8 years ago

Looking at cement tile for our bathroom floors, and on a shower wall in one bathroom. I'm seeing installations outdoors, in restaurants, bars, showers, floors, etc. and wondering if you can't use bleach or vinegar on it, what do you clean it with and how does it hold up?

I have some on reserve but I'm concerned about maintenance.

Thanks!

Comments (150)

• leemag68
    6 years ago

Thank you!

• bernerlover33
    6 years ago

I would love to get any advice on how to fix my problem. I have a light gray and white cement tile, with a light gray grout. I'm not sure my installer properly cleaned out the grout and it appears "dirty". He then sealed in the dirtyness from the grout. Any recommendations on how to repair this problem. Not sure if sanding will help. These tile were sealed prior, but apparently the sealer did not completely penetrate.

• Related Discussions

Encaustic cement tiles - need recommendations for where to buy!

Q

Comments (2)
    As far as I can tell we have the best price and quality in the industry. I know that would seem to be biased. But it is not without research. Handmade Encaustic Cement Tiles. They do look pretty and the bold designs, just love them. This is Atlas black and in 2018 it is $10.95 a Square Foot and Free Shipping. Here.
    ...See More

Encaustic/cement tile backsplash

Q

Comments (4)
    I will find at least one example in a minute. RMKitchen, whom I miss terribly, used to post here. She did a laundry room floor with them and said that they require multiple coats of sealant. Villa Lagoon states they ship to "North America," and I understand the owner is very helpful if you just want to ask her fir information. http://www.villalagoontile.com/patchwork-tile-floors.html Here is a link that might be useful: [One example[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cement-tile-backsplash-ideas-phbr0lbl-bl~l_9156) This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 12:13
    ...See More

Cement/Encaustic Floor Tile

Q

Comments (3)
    We purchased through the Cement Tile Shop about three years ago. We used them for kitchen backsplash tiles and installed and sealed them ourselves...no issues or problems since install, but they were just in a backsplash. Our experience with ordering: no problems, just ordered in stock as we were in a rush. One thing to know:. They delivered via freight to our house...you are supposed to inspect for broken tiles and have them note it on the delivery slip. A little awkward making the guy wait for me to open each box and lay them all out! He was nice about it, but it could have gone poorly had he refused to wait. The tile shop was easy to deal with in terms of replacing broken tiles, but we did "follow their instructions." This was a while ago, maybe policy is different now. Overall, i would order from them again, but plan on being present (and having helpers to help check tiles) on delivery day. Can't remember how many were broken- maybe 1/8 of our order- they weren't packed tightly or with any padding. All were replaced quickly and without problem. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Cement/Encaustic Tile

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you saltnpeppa. Great link. Aimeekm, I'm building a craftsman style house and want the tiles for the rear entry/friend's entry, which also leads out to the pool. The house I eventually purchased has a beautiful kitchen that needs nearly nothing. Only people on gw can understand that is a little disappointing! OMG. I do feel for you. My DH complains that I find something wrong with every home I walk into. He just doesn't get it. Thank you april. I'm hoping they'll be ok for my friend's entry and not too slippery. I'm assuming by the time people get out of the pool to come into the house to use the powder room, they'll have dried off enough that it will be ok. (Finger's crossed) Aimeekm, here is the front exterior of the house we're building. Colors aren't quite set yet. Once we start building, I'll be posting a thread in the building a home forum.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

berner,,,yes, the tiles can be sanded but I have only heard of it. why don't you contact the company where you bought them and ask their advice in this manner? I gave my tiles at least 5 applications of sealing prior to grouting. when I grouted, I only did the joints (as opposed to spreading the grout all over the face of the tile like you would normally do). I also cleaned up the grout as I went.

• lwfromny
    6 years ago
    Bernerlover33 are you saying the grout looks dirty? Or that there’s grout on the tile, making the tile look dirty?
  • rachelchris33
    6 years ago

I did start my own thread but didnt get responses. So, here's my question. I had cement tiles installed as a fireplace surround. The installer did not seal and let them cure for 3 days and then grout. Installer cut corners and installed, grouted and one sealer for 5 -10 minutes. I felt as though it needed more sealer so I also applied impregnating sealer for 5 - 10 minutes and wiped off. Fast forward, my tiles and brown from heat damage, have hairline cracks in entire front row, have brown sap stains and black soot smudges. I have been to two hardware stores and bought too many products and sanding blocks to mention. I have brought the tiles back to an "ok" condition and have just placed sealer on them. Since they never got the 3 day cure, is this why they are not sealing? They are still incredibly porous looking and I am just at a loss as to how long to leave on and how many coats to apply etc, etc. Just trying to save these beautiful tiles and the $1,300.00 cost of them.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

rachelchris,,,I had to give mine 4 coats of sealer. they really suck it up. which sealer are you using? You will know when they are completely sealed when the sealer just sits and doesn't get absorbed. Ditto water. spray some water on the tiles. does it bubble up on them and sit there? or does it absorb the water, even after 5 mins? if the latter, needs more sealer.

your installer should have sealed them first (multiple times over the course of a few days,,,or should have told you to do so). On day of install, he should have dunked them in water and then laid them on the thinset. This prevents them from pulling all of the moisture from the mortar and drying it out too quickly.

as for soot and such, that's to be expected. after using the fireplace, wiping them down w/a stone safe cleaner should help to keep them clean

• bernerlover33
    6 years ago

Katherine, what kind of acid did you use and what grit sand paper to remove the sealed in grout stain? I am a little worried about using the acid, but can see how the sanding would be helpful.

• Janelle Wallace
    6 years ago
    Great string and loving seeing the variety of tiles and uses.
    Wish I’d looked this up before we laid out very expensive bathroom tiles. I think the timer only sealed once so we must do ours twice more. Is there something we should clean them with before sealing? Thanks
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

beautiful tiles. just wipe them clean and dry before applying the sealer. Don't let it pool and dry. when water beads up on the tile, you know it's sealed.

• PRO
    Michelle Chlebek
    6 years ago

We installed cement tiles in our bathroom and we really regret it. We only use soap and water to clean, but inevitably spilled toilet bowl cleaner one day and there are horrible splash stains. Even though I wiped it up immediately, it lightened the floor in every spot it spilled. It ate through that finish in seconds. The manufacturers recommendation is to sand the floor and refinish it. Also, they said after 1.5 years, it is probably time to refinish the floor anyway. Really!? I definitely didn't anticipate refinishing the floor this often. My wood floors are more durable than this. Additionally, there is a small stain on the floor under the floating toilet bowl from urine- presumably when we have drunk guests "miss" and dribble down the toilet and hit the floor in that one spot. I tried to scrub it and it wont go away. Gross! They look cool on day 1, but I wouldn't recommend it for any space that is subject to cleaning suppies or urine!

• Kate Reno
    6 years ago

What a brilliant thread! I've just bought really beautiful moroccan cement tiles to use in my bathroom (both for floor and walls). I see loads of people have used them for walls/showers. My tiles are 1.25kg each (so 36.25kg per sq metre plus about 4kg of grout/adhesive) and when I looked into it (obviously AFTER I bought the tiles!), plasterboard walls can only take about 32kg per meter square (including grout and adhesive). Did you guys use a special adhesive? I am really hoping you did because I'm using these tiles!

My plan is then (based on all the tips) to lay them all out, seal them over a few days and have them ready for my tiler. I really hopes he knows how to work with them!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Kate,,,you should not put these on drywall. is that your plasterboard? you will need cement board or other CBU wall products in wet areas. cement board is also far sturdier. the tiles get applied w/thinset/mortar. make sure you seal them first,,just the tops. advise your tiler to dunk them in water before he lays them on the thinset and NOT to grout like he would regular tile. only put the grout in the joints and clean immediately. tell him not to spread the grout across the faces of the tile like he would on others. you can't grout these like you would others. grout stains (especially if using a dark color) and if not cleaned up quickly, could stick to the face of the tile. Make sure you're there when he does this part. you basically have to pipe in the grout into each joint.

• User
    6 years ago

The instructions I got from Schots said to seal the sides too. But Beth may be right. Importantly thing is definitely the top and I would seal 3 times if you can. They stain a lot in the bathroom.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

no. you never seal the sides of any tile,,,grout will not adhere well if the sides get sealed.

• Kate Reno
    6 years ago

Thanks so much guys- great advice! Just in the nick of time too... cement board is now ordered. I missed the dunking point so thanks for pointing that out Beth!

I’ll post a photo...if it’s a success!

• jellohouse
    6 years ago

This is such a helpful thread. I really love the look of encaustic cement tiles and want to use them on my bathroom floors, but now I'm scared to! If you seal them properly as described in this thread, do they still stain? I have a toddler who will pee on the floor (sometimes) and spill things (daily). Will sealed cement tiles hold up to that kind of use? How often do you need to re-seal?

• User
    6 years ago

Hi Jello!

This is controversial to say, because these tiles are beautiful and everyone in this thread is passionate about them, but be honest, if I had another option, I would probably consider a different tile in my bathroom. I have had mine in for less than a year and they are somewhat stained and faded already. I wouldn't describe them as low-maintenance unless you don't care about how they look or wear in. You won't be able to keep a 'newly renovated' look for long and have to be okay with that.

Here in Australia, there is such a limit to what you can get with interesting patterns; I don't know why. I wanted bright patterned colours and encaustic was the only option I could find at the time. I'm not sure where you live, but if there are other options I would look into them if I were you.

There is one brand I have become aware of here called Artisan that is an encaustic tile 'look' but I think it is ceramic or porcelain: http://www.southerncrossceramics.com/ProductsDefault.aspx?ProductRange=Artisan

No idea if it is any good. I think more expensive than encaustic maybe (and encaustic is already pretty pricey!)

I think there are more options in US and UK.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

jellohouse,,,there are a ton of porcelain look-alikes now.

the cement tiles are expensive, unless you happen to live close to the manufacturer and can pick them up yourself. shipping these things is expensive because of the weight.

as for the pee,,,prob not as bad as having a marble tile floor. these cement tiles get sealed numerous times until water beads up on them. so if baby had an accident, as long as you didn't let it sit for 30 mins or more, you should be ok. the sealer buys you time to wipe up any spills or stains.

I've had mine in my shower for over a year and they still look perfect.

Talychka,,,how well did you seal yours? you know, you can get them sanded and refinished?

• User
    6 years ago

Hi Beth (and Jello)

I sealed three times and am thinking to sand and seal again soon. We recently celebrated the Indian Holi festival (where everyone throws coloured dyes) and when the kids came home to wash some of the stains haven't come out (they also stained the leather car seats lol, I definitely learned my lesson about cleaning up quickly - you are right that it should be done within 30 mins if you don't want stains, both car seats and tiles apparently!!).

I love the feel and look of the tiles, just saying that they are high maintenance and don't stay looking as they first do when you lay them, unless you continue to maintain them, including, as you say, cleaning up any messes quickly (I've never had marble floor so can't compare to that).

Photos attached - 'scuse the dirty floor which I haven't washed this week!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

oh my. I'd have given them the hose outside! lol. yeah,,that would have stained any porous material.

I have a deep cleaner that my stone restoration guy recommended for my stone and marble (you know, cement tiles are pigmented w/marble dust and coloring) try this one and use it at a stronger ratio.

after it's clean, seal again. if water is not beading up on the tile, it's not sealed enough.

• Janelle Wallace
    6 years ago

We love our new cement tiles but already after 3 months I'm getting they are not low maintenance. What non toxic cleaner can I use for washing them?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

uh, i just posted a pic of it in the comment right above yours.

• Janelle Wallace
    6 years ago
    Search only showed this in US. Just found a similar product in AUS that says regular use will reduce sealer life so not really what I’m looking for. Thanks though
  • User
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tip Beth.

Woodlands: for regular weekly cleaning I use a few drops of ordinary liquid hand soap in a bucket. Best to use Ph neutral type, e.g. aloe vera or Vit E. (don't use citrus or other acid type of soap). It works great for cleaning.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

woodlands,,(a similar product isn't the same) ,This one is completely safe for marble, and therefore cement (which has marble dust on top) . my stone restoration guy gave it to me to use. I use it weekly over my sealed marble. it doesn't reduce the life of it. Stone Pro also has a Daily Cleaner. they're on Amazon.

you could also try a little baking soda water and soft brush,,maybe a little neutral soap. alkaline is ok to use on the stone, nothing below 7.2 pH.

• rachelchris33
    6 years ago

Thank you Beth H for all of your comments! With your help on my previous question, I was able to properly seal the tiles. However, I really want to share with the community that (in my opinion) these tiles are NOT appropriate for use around a fireplace. My tiles are cracked and browned from the heat the fire gives off. No amount of sealing is going to prevent that from occurring. I wish I had not seen photos of these tiles used as a surround on Pinterest. I think it only right that sellers of this product get educated on this and warn against using these tiles for this application.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

rachel,,really? I'm surprised. these are cement and marble dust. no reason why it should crack and brown. what sealer did you use? have you checked w/the manufacturer to verify it's use around fireplaces? do you have a pic of those tiles?

• rachelchris33
    6 years ago

Beth, I used the impregnated sealer and additionally the 511 Porous Plus Sealer. I verified with the Seller that it was for use around the fireplace. I will work right now on figuring out how to take and attach a photo.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

rachel,,,I would contact the seller and show them what happened. however, I'm thinking the sealer is the item that actually cracked and browned. I'm guessing that sealer isn't heatproof. you could contact 511 and ask them if the sealer is safe to use on stone/cement tiles around the firebox.

• rachelchris33
    6 years ago

• rachelchris33
    6 years ago

Beth, this install was just 4 months ago. I will contact both the seller (again) and sealer company. Thanks again for all of your input on this thread.

• Kate Reno
    6 years ago

Aren’t they beautiful???? Thanks for the great advice guys!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

wow. very nice. love those tiles Kate

• Kate Reno
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth, I can’t believe how well they’ve turned out!

• Maggie
    5 years ago

Beth H, my head is swimming from Thanksgiving and all the comment threads haha. will the cleaner you posted a pic of above remove dirty looking spots from brand new cement tiles on a shower floor? We thought when we moved in that the contractor’s cleaning crew had just missed it, but realized when we went to clean it that it looks like dust/dirt dried on it during installation

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

maggie, I really can't answer if it will or not since I don't know what it is. but it won't hurt it. were the tiles sealed well before installation? could it be dried grout? or perhaps the something stained it? any cleaner safe for natural stone/marble will be ok for the cement tile. you might also contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend.

• bardzil
    5 years ago

Will darker color cement tiles be more durable and look new longer than a light color? I am considering using a blue cement tile with a pattern in a kids bath. There is no white or light color on the tile.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

bradzil...no difference. just apply a good sealer to the tops, multiple times over a few days until water beads. be careful when grouting, wipe up promptly.

• tals713
    5 years ago
    I hate to be negative..but we installed gorgeous cement tiles from The Original Mission Tile in all our bathrooms. My installer followed their instructions. Put two coats of miracle sealer and my bathroom floors are a nightmare. I’m seriously stressed out about it. I’m including some photos. Some good some bad. Anyone have any advice? Is sanding and resealing the only option? Will it even remove those stains? And after I sand is there a better sealer out there? I’m so so sad about this. Any help us appreciated.
  • rachelchris33
    5 years ago

Sorry to see this Tals713, I have given up on my tiles. I sealed them many times, and yet the tiles are cracking and staining continually. I hope you find a remedy, I have not. If you scroll up you will see my photos.

Rachel

• Chelsea Williams
    5 years ago

@rachelchris33 I saw your pictures and just a few months ago laid the same cement tiles in my bathroom. They are staining and starting to crack with very very little use. Where did you purchase your tiles from?

• bamy
    4 years ago

@tals713 Did you ever figure out a solution to your tiles? Ours have only been in a few months and are horribly water stained (amongst other issues). Multiple coats of sealer were used but I’m guessing it wasn’t enough. Wondering if it’s worth trying to refinish them. They’ve been a nightmare. Never again. I’d rip them out and lay a different (non-cement) tile but our vanity has legs. It would require ripping out our wall mounted faucets, stone, and vanity to re-do the floors.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

bamy,,what kind of sealer did you use? they shouldn't be water stained. I have mine in my shower and don't have any water stains at all. If you used a topical sealer, I'm guess that's the problem.

yes, you can have them refinished. call in a restorer who does marble floors. they should be able to get them back to new. Then contact the company and get the sealer they recommend. follow directions to a tee.

• aramimara
    4 years ago

We had our cement tiles installed three weeks ago— after the first couple of days I noticed water spots and asked the contractor if he sealed them. He said yes, and did another seal and explained that was the nature of cement. Well 20 days later and the floor is looking super smudgy, won’t go away with cleaning, and water spots everywhere. I’m beside myself. Went to the tile shop where I got them and they said the contractor used the wrong sealant— one for natural stone. He recommended something called 502 cement sealer but I googled that and nothing comes up? Also, does anyone know how I can get rid of these water spots? Do I need to refinish the floor?? Thanks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

ara,,,,, It's not the nature of cement. I have cement tiles and I sealed them 4 times before they were installed. yes, 4. cement tiles are very porous.

Also, which cement tiles are yours (brand) ?

For instance, Cle'Tiles cement tiles come pre-sealed and can blotch if you use something else.

what sealer did he use? Did you ask him? do you have a picture of it? You can use a sealer that's meant for natural stone. just depends what he used and how he used it.

502 is a silicone sealant. never heard of it for cement.

maybe he means 511? This is ok for cement. just make sure you get the matte finish (enhancing sealer is an option if you want the colors to deepen)

The tile shop doesn't know poo. (obviously not since they recommended this 502 stuff) Who makes the cement tiles? which company? Contact them and ask which sealer they recommend. I've got cement tiles from CleTile and The Cement Tile Shop. Both specify certain sealers.

it's possible the tops may have been etched by something else.

(cement tiles are made with marble dust)

what happens if you dribble some water on your tiles? does it bead up and sit there?

you could have a marble floor restorer come out and refinish the tops for you.

• aramimara
    4 years ago

Hi Beth! Thanks so much for your response. We got our tile from a local tile store in LA. We ended up buying the sealer that Cle recommends and I just tried to seal some of the tiles an hour ago to check if that goes well. The tile looks really dull overall now. The water never sat on the tile; the drops would sink in. Do you have anyone you recommend who could fix this mess who’s based in LA? I saw that you’re in Diamond Bar.

• aramimara
    4 years ago

And our contractor did use the 511 impregnator sealer and an enhancer but somehow it didn’t seal well!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

ara, if water was still being absorbed, then it was not sealed. like I stated, i had to do mine 4 times. can you post a picture? maybe a before and after (before sealer and now, how they currently look) send me private message (click on my name) and give me your email.

• PRO
    Restorationers
    4 years ago

I didn’t read all the comments but we used ceramic-look porcelain tile from tilebar in our powder and it looks amazing and no issues with care whatsoever (I forgot the brand name)

• Nathan Reich
    2 years ago

No matter what anybody says here, if you hold up a light to cement tile you will see tons and tons of weird stain marks caused by all kinds of things like uneven sealing to grout residue. My tile guy is a 20 year master who has worked with these materials many times and they ALWAYS stain no matter what you do. We have tried everything in the book, every cleaner, every technique and using the company reccoemnded materials, THEY ARE ALL WRONG and mislead you. I promise you sanding will do nothing but get very very surfance level scratches out but then you will see new scratch marks from the sand paper haha, its a JOKE. The good news is from normal eye level and normal lighting you cant really see any of this. Learn to love the weird water colory/cloudy imperfections of these tiles or you will GO INSANE. Have fun.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths