SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Have you built a cabinet to form a "hidden pantry"?

pippiep
8 years ago

We're moving and buying a new fridge, which we're 99.999% sure will be the Frigidaire twins. They'll take up a chunk of wall that currently would not be used efficiently as-is (built-in desk area, too much blank space). My husband will build the cabinet, and we'll have room on the sides for some shelving/cabinets. The pantry door is on the end of that wall, so I'm toying with the idea of removing the door and jamb/casing, and having him build cabinet doors that lead to a hidden step-in pantry, similar to this.

My main reason for wanting to do this is to make the (new) cabinet on that wall seem less intrusive and more natural, instead of having it extend partway and then stop before the next hallway. I want it to go from door opening/hallway to door opening/hallway. Right now, there are a couple of feet of space on either side of the desk/cabinets that are installed. Wasted space, IMO. The kitchen is wide open; no island.

Has anyone here done this kind of thing?

Disclaimer: we're not going to do anything for at least a few months! Still just gathering ideas, so we can move around the new kitchen with these different ideas in mind.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz