SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

50 Shades of Gray, TKO version

lisa_a
8 years ago

(disclaimer: I haven't read the book or seen the movie but I think its title describes my kitchen quite well.)

After 7 1/2 yrs of planning and nearly 8 years from that starting point, my kitchen is finished! It went through multiple renditions in that time.

Initially, we planned only a cosmetic update: reface or paint the existing cabinets, replace appliances, replace counters and backsplash. And then (can you guess where I'm going?) I wandered into the Kitchen Forum, began my kitchen educational journey and came to the realization that a face lift would be money poorly spent. There was more wrong with my kitchen than a dated look.

So we waited and planned and saved until we finally began our remodeling journey on April 27th this year. Many of you followed along (buh bye old kitchen! Hello, new kitchen!) and cheered when things went well and offered comfort when the remodel hit a few hiccups, mostly due to our cab makers' snafus on the hutch. We were supposed to finish in 7 1/2 weeks; it was 10 weeks before we were done (not counting the miscellaneous, minor things left to do, including glass for the upper cabinets). I lost 20 lbs in the process. I'm thrilled about the weight loss but I *do not* recommend the method. =)

But the wait, the money and the angst were worth it! I love my new kitchen! Love, love, love it! It functions so well and not only do I have more storage (still have empty space in my cabs) but it's heads and tails more functional than my old kitchen's storage.

Drum roll, please....

I'll post more photos in additional threads so that I can replace the less-than-stellar phone pics with pics taken with my new camera (the photo above was taken with my new camera before the battery died).

I have so many people to thank and I know I'm going to forget someone because the journey here was literally years long. Remodeling does a number on the brain but I'll do my best to remember everyone who helped me along the way.

Without a doubt, rhome410 was the most helpful when I was working on my lay-out (you new people may not know her, she doesn't hang out here as much these days). She not only gave me feedback on ways to improve my lay-out, she provided 3D versions of my kitchen using ChiefArchitect.

My heartfelt thanks also goes to bmorepanic for additional lay-out feedback, gooster and plllog for willingly answering questions and providing photos of their Modern-Aire hoods, beekeeperswife for inspiring the idea to add glass to an upper's side panel, mayflowers and sixkeys who not only answered questions about their Pentalquartz counters but invited me to visit their homes to see their counters in person (lovely kitchens!) ... oh, no, my brain has already drain a blank about the others who helped me plan. So sorry if I've forgotten to include your name.

I can't end this without also thanking all you GWers who cheered me along and commiserated when things went wrong: cpartist, benjesbride, autumn, funkycamper, mayflowers, sjhockeyfan, rebunky, buehl, lavenderlass, blfenton, romy, a2gemini, Jillius, mgmum, Annkh, stephanj, tmy_jax, chelsiyarger, santabarbaratara, beth09, Mama Rachel, jmarino, bmorepanic, mdln, susanlynn2012, bbtrix, desertsteph, amber, oasisowner, anitamo, laughablemoments, sena01, artemis_ma, isable98, Maine Susan, elatsch and aries61. Phew, did I forget anyone? Your support through my remodel was so helpful!

Details and more pics to follow.

Comments (113)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County