SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdddd82

Pennsylvania - evergreen privacy screen

birdddd82
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello,
Within the next 2 years, the next phase of houses will be built behind me in our development. I'm looking for some advice on a privacy screen (wind break would also be nice) in my back yard. A few that i've been considering are blue spruce, norway spruce, fat albert blue spruce, or green giant arborvitae, nellie stevens holly.

I understand I basically want the impossible, a tree that'll grow fast and max out at 20 feet or so. I was also considering spacing out the evergreens, then fill in the spaces between or offset with basically any deciduous tree instead of a full wind break/privacy screen.

The houses in the new plan will be a little lower in elevation...i'm hoping to block out the majority of their home, but still keep my view.

Any plant would need to be as deer resistant as possible. Deer at my emerald green arb's, so I'm worried about the same thing happen with the green giants. I've heard they're less likely to eat these, but i think i'd be very nervous every winter for the next 15 years. Correct me if you think i'd be okay.
The future size of blue/norway spruce is obviously something to think about. I was considering keeping these on the left side of the yard, or maybe in a row on the property line, as they're futher from any houses if they reach 50 feet in 50 years.

Here at 2 pictures, the one is an overview/property line map, other is me standing on the deck.
http://s8.postimg.org/6orlgzswl/yard2.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/57x8w0n93/property2.jpg
There will be a lot of homes directly behind me, but not the entire valley, and there should be about 75 feet from the back of my property to the back of their house. Towards the right side, there's a drop off, about 30 feet, then about 15 feet at the bottom of this hill. Not sure whether to plant on the top ridge of this hill, or plant on the 2nd flat part at the bottom. Worried it'd just take forever for an evergreen to get this tall. I'll probably mulch/plant some shrubs on this hill. On the left side of the property, basically to the left of the hose in the picture, this is all a slight grade, but i have grass there now and i cut with a push mower. I can do anything here, as it's not too steep of a drop-off, the entire yard just gets steeper towards the right. The left corner point is actually on the flat part of my yard.

Some facts on my location:
- Located in zone 6b (Pittsburgh) with very windy winters
- picture is facing the west
- I've done the rest of my landscaping and i plan on installing the back on my own as well.
- Soil type - clay, but not too much
- I like more of a formal landscape
- full sun

I plan on being here forever so i want to be sure i'm happy with the decision.
Thanks for your help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!