SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skoooooba

Do I have to pay for it? Light switch installed on wrong side.

skuba
8 years ago

Hi. Originally we were going to have a pocket door to enter bathroom, but upon finding out it was a shear wall we had to switch to a regular door. Which would swing in towards the bathtub. The architect forgot to change the location of the light switch, so now it was installed behind the opening door, which is a terrible design.

Right now, the job is not finished, but the switch box rough in is installed and the drywall. We noticed this issue today and GC says it will cost me $1000 to move light box to the other side of the door.

Should I pay for this alone? Even though Architect messed up and GC missed noticing it? I missed it too as the owner.

You might say, swing the door the other way, towards the toilet. Yes that can be done, but it's not what I wanted, it will be an awkward flow. Every time walking into the bathroom to use the toilet, you need to squeeze between the vanity and the door and go behind the door to use the toilet.

The only other option would be to swing the door out, which in general is not done to avoid hitting people or blocking flow, but in this case it's opens towards the closet hallway

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. And should I have to pay for moving the light switch alone?

Thank you very much

Comments (8)