SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arielleeve

Help! Range hood height vs. venting

arielleeve
8 years ago

So my husband and I are in the middle of our kitchen renovation in our 1930s co-op apartment. We found out during demolition that at some point many years ago the previous owner was actually able to get a wall cut in the building so that the under-cabinet range hood actually vented outside. I was pretty excited to learn that because I had always assumed we'd have to have one of the recirculating ones (which I've heard are mostly useless).

Keeping the outdoor (rear) venting, though, meant we had to put the new range hood in the exact spot where the old one was. Which is only 24" above the stove. I didn't realize how low that truly was until the cabinets started going in today, and now I'm concerned that it's too low. We purchased a Bosch under-cabinet range, which sticks out fairly far. You can't really push it back, because it has a grill on the top that would get covered by the cabinet (if that makes sense). I'm worried that with the height and depth, it's going to be extremely annoying for cooking. I'm only 5'1", but it still seems quite low.

So my choices are: a) leave as is, preserve the outdoor venting and keep my lovely Bosch under-cabinet range; b) patch up the outdoor vent, move the cabinets higher up so the hood is 30" above the range, and just use the hood on recirculating c) return the lovely Bosch range for one that is less deep (I think Broan makes some; that was the kind that was in here pre-reno and had a much smaller footprint) .

Here are some pics -- hard to get a good one of the set-up now, since my husband had to just hold up the hood while I quickly snapped. The before pics give a better sense.

(And yes, we are bringing the other cabinets to the height of the range hood, we like them to look flush instead of having the range be higher).

Your help is appreciated!

Comments (23)