SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenchristine

Recommendations for foundation plants in front of porch

ellenchristine
8 years ago

Hello, I just recently bought my first house and am looking for recommendations for plants to put in front of my porch, on either side of the stairs. I'm also pretty new to gardening so bear with me. :)

I live in St. Louis, which is plant zone 5-6. The house faces almost directly south, so anything that goes in this spot will need to be able to tolerate full sun, including hot afternoon sun (originally I had hoped to put some rhododendrons or azaleas here, only to realize that they would fry in the afternoon sun).

Someone at the local garden center recommended knockout roses, but I don't like the fact that this area would be bare in winter. I'd prefer something evergreen for year-round foliage, but even better would be if it flowers at some point during the year to add some color.

So I'm looking for something that fits the following criteria:

• Evergreen (preferably with blooms at some point)
  • Won't grow too much higher than the height of the porch foundation (5-ish feet)
  • Can tolerate all-day sun and hot St. Louis summers

Another person at the garden center recommended English laurel. I'm intrigued by the rhodo-like leaves and blossoms in spring. What do you all think?

Comments (3)