SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samohtep

Repairing/Restoring Aluminum Storms

samohtep
8 years ago

Looking for any information on how to extend the life of my storm windows.

The 7 original windows (single pane glass/ 6 over 1) on the second floor of my house all have aluminum storm frames attached to the exterior. All have 3 tracks - 2 sliding glass windows (upper and lower) and a sliding screen panel. I've been able to remove and clean the glass and screen panels and the tracks (they pop out in two pieces once window panels are removed) But it's really time consuming to do this every year and if it isn't done, within a few seasons, the aluminum corrodes enough to make it very difficult to open or close any panel, especially during the winter.

They don't see a lot of use, usually the screens are down from Spring-Fall and I only lower the glass during the winter as a windbreak and to prevent the single pane windows from frosting over.

I've been using Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish to remove the corrosion and polish the tracks but the easy sliding doesn't last long. Is there a better way to go at this? Something I can coat the panel frames or tracks with to prevent the corrosion and binding or is this par for the course with aluminum storms?

Also, the exterior framing is chipped and peeling on all , what's the best way to "strip" aluminum and repaint? I haven't really inspected the exterior closely other than while cleaning the gutters in the Spring/Fall, but it looks like they are only held on with sheet metal screws. Should I just remove them one/two at a time and refinish them?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH