SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shalieanna

Jenn-Air Induction cooktop review JIC4536XS

shalieanna
8 years ago

When I first overpaid for this unit I tried to use the 'so called' bridge element that sales person told me would heat up across the two smaller elements into one larger element by connecting the two elements with a bridge. My understanding was that the centre part between the 2 smaller elements would also heat up to make for even grilling. but this is not the case. The elements only heat up at the same time and at the same temperature. which is kinda useless to me since I like to use a rectangle wrought iron pan to grill sandwiches and specifically bought this unit having being told that they connected in the centre to create even heat. Then...

12 inch centre element:

the centre element doesn't heat up as fast as it should and is temperamental. One day it didn't even turn on and I had to use one of the smaller elements to cook my dinner. the day before that it cooked for short periods and would cut-out so I never really reached the temperature I need to get a fried coating. The smaller elements heat much faster than the centre element which I thought was the more powerful element. Also when boiling water the element only heated in the very centre and did cover the entire circumference of the 12 inch pot (which I checked was flat to the cooking surface). The Jenn-Air repair people sent out a repairman to fix it and he only made it worse. He came several times (the first couple of times they told me that there was nothing wrong with the unit) before they eventually agreed that I had a faulty unit and replaced it. This took 6 months.

My new unit works a little bit better, but I still cannot use my centre 12 inch element. I even bought a special induction disc to see if I could start to use the element but again it works for a while and then starts to cycle on and off. So you cannot get a continuous heat in order to cook a meal to completion. I know it's not my pans, as I tried many different ones and the same thing keeps happening on the centre element and not to outer smaller ones.

One more thing, the store where I purchased the cooktop agreed to replace the unit with another brand, but unfortunately for me the Jenn-air cooktop requires a smaller opening in the countertop (which I had made to fit) than ALL the other brands. So even thought I could have changed my cooktop, I couldn't because I would have had to cut my countertop to make room for another brand.

If I had my time again, I would never buy Jenn-air.

Comments (11)