SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nootherids

Seeded Heavily, Then It Stormed Heavily... Now What Do I Do?

nootherids
8 years ago

Transition Zone: 7?

Soil: Mostly Clay (and huge rocks from builder)

Grass: Pure Tall Fescue (specifically "Combat Extreme Transition" blend)

New Top Soil/Compost: Orgro

Site: about 2,700sqft not counting backyard and full sun on a slight slope <10 degrees

Situation:

I decided to revive my entire front lawn due to many bare spots mostly caused by me not watering properly and letting the grass die out by the hot summer sun. So I scalped it, aerated it pretty heavily, spread Orgro at about 1/8-1/4" throughout and leveled the patchy dirt, heavily spread about 30lbs of seed, and watered every day maybe twice.

The weather forecast went back and forth on whether it would be overcast or occasional showers. Well by day 6 or 7 after seeding we got Torrential Downpours for like 8 hours straight. What happened was exactly what I was afraid of...

The saturated ground allowed for mini rivers and lakes to form. But not only did the seed get pushed into patches but it also created an environment reminiscent of mini rice fields where the soil flattened and bunched together at an edge creating a "stepped" appearance with all the seed on the edges and none in the step.

Fortunately/unfortunately it kept raining moderately for the next 4 days and the grass decided to start sprouting. It's already a bit taller than an inch now.

My solution was originally, before the grass grew, to take the soil level and reapply a bit more seed. But now I don't know what to do. I'm assuming that raking the soil will destroy the current growth of grass. But just adding more seed and leaving the soil would also create a "stepped" lawn which I'd assume it'll be hell to mow and not nice to walk on.

So what should I do? 1) Rake current soil/grass and reseed, 2) apply new soil to level and reseed, or 3) let it take its course and see what I can do next Spring?

I'm definitely gonna have tons of crabgrass next season so I was hoping to apply pre-emergent in spring, but now I'm thinking I may need to work the lawn again next spring meaning giving up the weed battle to reseed instead.

Any other options would be w

elcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)