SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
englishable

Addition layout brainstorming

Lindsay 5a
8 years ago

My fiance and I are planning a renovation/addition to our home, and while we definitely are going to hire an architect, I'm trying to come up with some very rough ideas to take with me so we're not starting from a blank slate. I kind of have an idea of what I want, but have no idea where to put things or how it would all come together. I've seen some of the mockups other users have come up with, that are just pure genius, and was hoping some of you could take a stab at my house?

The house is a small cape cod on a ridge, overlooking a river with a walkout basement (facing north). It has a tiny kitchen, two bedrooms downstairs and two up, and 2 baths (one down, one up). It lacks a true foyer or a mudroom, but my biggest complaint is that the living room is on the south side, facing the road, while the kitchen (with one small window over the sink) and dining room (that does have a sizable window) face north - the best view. Ultimately, I'd like to swap these so that the living room is on the north side with a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows. Here's basically what it looks like now, missing a lot of details though:

Because of the walkout basement to the north and the well being to the west, the only real place to add on is either east or south. The chimney used to have a wood stove before we bought the house, but no longer serves a purpose so we'd like to remove that. I'd like to add a wrap around porch on the south, west and north sides, and turn the flex room into a mudroom (there's a barn to the west, so that's actually a good spot for a mudroom). I'd also like a much bigger kitchen (at least 17 x 17 - could be the biggest room in the house) and a formal dining room. I'd like to add on a master suite upstairs as well, probably over the addition and also facing north.

Here's our view (from the east deck), that we'd like to take full advantage of from the living room:

Our house:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Comments (3)