Have you ever done this after reading a book?
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (33)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Have you read The Historian? Could you rec'd a Book?
Comments (16)Thanks Bestyears! Really!! I haven't read it but of my list, Poisonwood Bible is the most incongruous. However, I will read it although it seems realistically "gritty" from Amazon reviews. I read fast and have a hard time finding books I Iove ..so I'll read a bunch of books I dislike then give up...again and not read new books again until the feeling passes. We don't all have the same tastes in reading, The Kitchen House is beloved but I didn't like it at all ( sorry Sue!) and I really disliked the "letter" aspect of the Guernsey Potato book. It was unsatisfying and annoying. I thought I would like Game of Thrones saga, yet, again, I hated it. Love McCalls #1 Ladies Detective Series....See MoreHave you ever been insulted about reading?
Comments (54)When I was in my 20's, single and working in an office, a co-worker picked up the book (Oscar Lewis' La Vida)I was currently reading, looked at the price, and asked in a loud voice "You paid $-- for THAT?) She had announced earlier that she and her husband had just purchased an expensive new car with all the bells and whistles. Differenct strokes. . . When my boys were young I would read aloud to them during dinner. Great for the diet! I would stop in the middle of a exciting passage, and leave the book on the table while I cleaned up the kitchen. It was fun to see which boy got to the book first to take up to his room and finish that chapter. I've never worried that my boys, now 38 and 40, would not be readers. They're both still single and have very active lives, and I was pleased that on one weekend day each called me from the city they happened to be visiting, one to tell me he had met an author of a book we both loved, and the other to announce he had found an old book I had been looking for. Reading aloud has so many benefits. Years ago my late brother, who was 15 years older than I enjoyed reading each other passages from Robert Paul Smith's Where Did You Go? Out. What Did You Do? Nothing. For those that may not remember this lovely little book there are passages about how a child spends his idle time, including the wonders of the empty lot nextdoor. This book sparked conversations about how my brother and I each looked at our childhood experiences from different angles, and without a doubt, brought us much closer together. I certainly will treasure those times. I see I've strayed from the original topic of being insulted about reading, to more speaking in defense of reading. Sorry about that, but I guess defense of an action naturally comes after an insult....See MoreWhats the Best fiction book you ever read?
Comments (15)I'm not sure that I can really choose a "best book" ever read either. Because when I start thinking about it, then more and more books enter the competition, and then I start reading the thread, and books discussed by the rest of you (like The Pillars of the Earth ) need to be seriously considered. I think I prefer to answer the question as if it had been worded, "If I were to ask you what is the best fiction book you ever read, which book comes to your mind first?" It is always, for me, The Count of Monte Cristo. The language is elegant. The story captured me and wouldn't let go. And finally, it is exquistely constructed. There are no superfluous details that are there to distract the reader from the story. It all comes around at the end, there are no leftovers, and nothing seems awkwardly stuck in to make it fit.Whenever I think of it, I can remember small details as well as the main themes. And thinking of it still takes my breath away....See MoreWhat is the scariest book you've ever read?
Comments (104)Rosefolly, I totally agree about The Road being depressing. Terribly depressing, and terribly annoying in its writing style. I fear, though, that reading a lot of apocalytptic scifi has rendered me somewhat immune to the scariness of that particular book. However, looking back, after reviewing some of the old comments here, I remembered that Poe's "The cask of Amontillado" and (I may have the title wrong) "The Black Cat" were so horrible that I try not to recall their contents and have practically succeeded in the case of the latter story (remembering only that it was horrible). But decades ago, I had a year of teaching English at a girls' school, during which I unfortunately had to take up "The Cask...," and now much more of it than I like has taken up residence in my long-term memory! I avoid reading anything by Poe. [Edited the next day to echo Woodnymph's "I have avoided McCarthy's other books as well." Oh, I sure have done that, too!] Also awful (for me, though I know it is highly-regarded by some) was Where the Red Fern Grows). It started out pleasantly enough about a boy and his dogs, but there are some horrific gory scenes that I would never want to expose a child to. I detested The Day No Pigs Would Die, too, for the idea behind it. Again, I am sure many people would disagree with me. Fairy tales and some other children's stories can make me feel sad--like The Little Mermaid and The Little Match Girl--but not scared. Sci-fi is also not generally scary, although many episodes in the Lord of the Rings were enjoyably scary. So I offer the latter book, and--I just remembered another thoroughly enjoyable book that was also scary, The Thief of Always by Clive Barker--for the reading pleasure of Jennmonkey, who started this thread nearly 12 years ago. It was a shock to see that ancient date! And Kathy t: Oh, yes, I remember the scariness of Cape Fear, even though it was decades ago that I saw it. Very scary--partly because you knew it could happen; it wasn't just a fairy tale or fantasy....See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESThe 4 Stages of a Remodel: Happily Ever After
At last your project is coming to a close. Well, almost. Don’t forget these final steps before you settle in
Full Story
MY HOUZZMy Houzz: A Seattle Bungalow Goes From Flip to Happily-Ever-After Home
Once intended for a quick sale, this 1930s house now bears witness to its remodelers’ love and marriage
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES8 Ways to Live Happily Ever After With a Colorphobe
Appease your partner while satisfying your color cravings with these win-win decorating maneuvers
Full Story
FURNITURE6 Decades-Old Designs That Look Better Than Ever
After getting a few nips and tucks, some favorites from the ’60s and ’70s have made a stylish comeback
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGThree More Magic Words to Help the Housekeeping Get Done
As a follow-up to "How about now?" these three words can help you check more chores off your list
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGGet It Done: Clean Out Your Bedroom Closet
You can do it. Sort, purge, clean — and luxuriate in all the extra space you’ll gain — with this motivating, practical how-to
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEGet It Done: How to Clean Out the Pantry
Crumbs, dust bunnies and old cocoa, beware — your pantry time is up
Full Story
MEDIA ROOMSGet It Done: Organize the Media Cabinet
Ditch the worn-out VHS tapes, save valuable storage space and find hidden gems with this quick weekend spruce-up
Full Story

pipsmom49