SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shay_burmeister

HELP NEEDED ASAP

Shay Burmeister
8 years ago

my 6 month old blue pit has been sick for almost 72 hours! First day he was still very playful and using the bathroom normally he just wouldn't eat but he was still drinking water. Yesterday started having runny stool and still not eating but drinking still. Now today he has done nothing but slept and throw up a yellow mucous flem. I have syringe fed him warm chicken broth and pedia lite but he is not keeping anything down! Please give me some suggestions or information that can help me save my dog! Please and thank u

Comments (18)

• Kessala M
    8 years ago

Get that dog to the vet! He's only a puppy and been ill for three days. By now he's very dehydrated by the vomiting and diarrhea. Scary stuff for a young one.

• Shay Burmeister
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't have a lot of $$$ for the vet

• Related Discussions

Siding color help needed-asap, please!

Q

Comments (10)
    We’re actually adding a garage and getting new siding for the whole house. And our siding color is remarkably similar to the Tuscan olive (it’s not up yet or I’d post a picture to help you). We have pewter gray for our roof (new as of last week!) I'm aiming for a plum-colored front door for some fun. Post pictures of the progress, we love updates!
    ...See More

HVAC Design Help Needed ASAP!

Q

Comments (2)
    Somewhat. We think we've resolved it after meeting with them just now. Most will go in toekicks and interior walls. Crazy that their first approach is in the floor, but putting holes in our new hardwood is NOT happening. haha. Note - this is a complete gut, with contractor team moving quicker than we expected, so the HVAC decisions are also happening quickly.
    ...See More

New Yorkers!! Help Needed ASAP

Q

Comments (10)
    "Moving Right Along" helped me in a move at the last minute, my original mover canceled. Their number is (718) 738-2468. There is also, "Man With a Van" but I have no personal experience. The number is (212) 242-1500. Many family members use "Big John's Moving." They are used to moving things in Manhattan co-ops and condos. The number is (212) 734-7300. There are many more companies, these are just a few I know. I would stay away from "Moishe's Moving" they have a bad reputation as quoting one price then refusing to unload till you pay more. They were investigated several times.
    ...See More

Help needed ASAP - agreeable gray/pure white/gauntlet gray

Q

Comments (2)
    This is Gauntlet Grey and Agreeable Grey. I love the combo in my bedroom— hope this helps. It’s nighttime in my room now so the agreeable grey looks very taupey now. It’s a chameleon color depending on light and decor.
    ...See More
  • Kessala M
    8 years ago

Your puppy cannot be diagnosed by non-professional people on an online forum. Pets are expensive. Ask friends or relatives if they can help with the expense. Best of luck to you.

• annztoo
    8 years ago

Nothing you can do at home will help your puppy at this point. He's dehydrated and needs fluids by IV or Sub-Q. Hopefully he has an illness that can be easily treated, but it could be as bad as Parvo. If you can't afford a vet that will treat him, at least take him to the vet for euthanasia so he doesn't die a slow, painful death. Sorry to be so blunt but that's what it's come down to. Ideally, he should have been taken in the first day he stopped eating........no healthy puppy loses its appetite.

Most vets will work out a payment plan so call and ask before you take him in. I suggest you take him to the ER now simply because I'm not sure he'll make it thru the night.

In the future, remember that (usually) the sooner a pet is treated the less costly it will be.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You don't have much choice but to see a vet, he sounds very sick and is getting worse. I can't say I understand when people say they can't afford a vet visit, since sooner or later any animal will get sick or injured and need to see one, you just have to plan for this. Can you put it on credit card for example? I worry if you leave it any longer your options will not be good.

• arkansas girl
    8 years ago

I have a lot of rescues on my facebook and believe me, Parvo is so common with puppies! You must take him to the vet...like yesterday!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

He's got to get to a vet. After this visit, look into getting pet insurance if you don't have a lot of money but want to own a dog.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

TREATING PARVO AT HOME

better chance of surviving if infected. Parvo is marked by an immediate loss of appetite, vomiting, bloody and foul smelling diarrhea followed by weakness and lethargy. Puppies are likely to die of the dehydration parvo causes as much as from the virus itself. Puppies that get parvo have an extremely high risk of dying even with treatment, and this is why you must act swiftly.

Home Remedy for Puppy Parvo - Some Facts

Several home remedies and holistic treatments have been tried and refined by breeders and kennel owners. They recognize the devastation of parvo not only to the animal, but also to an owner both emotionally and financially speaking. There are many good suggestions and workable remedies. They all have some commonalities to them.

1. Remember, parvo is contagious. Remove the puppy to an indoor cordoned off area. Clean the area's floor first with a bleach solution; layer it with wee pads, newspaper and a solid layer of kitty litter.
    2. Parvo requires around the clock, immediate attention. Be prepared to take time nursing the pup in order to save itss life. This may take a few days to a couple of weeks.
    3. Parvo mimics other diseases. Let your vet know if you think your puppy has parvo and allow your puppy to be tested. Even if you cannot afford the vet fees, etc. for treating your puppy, it is highly likely your vet will understand and may even provide you with the benefit of his or her experience while you treat your puppy at home.
    4. If you are treating your puppy at home, be up front with other family members who are old enough to understand. You will need their support, help and understanding.
    5. There is no free treatment for treating parvo. This is going to cost you in terms of supplies and time.

A Home Remedy Plan

WolfCreekRanch.com offers detailed suggestions about how to care for a puppy with parvo at home. This site covers treatments for puppy parvo based on Wolf Creek's claimed experience in successfully treating 34 out of 35 puppies with the disease. Keep in mind, the folks at Wolf Creek are not veterinarians; they are an animal rescue and rehab sanctuary located in California.

Since one of the main symptoms is dehydration, Wolf Creek suggests giving your puppy fluids every hour or half hour. These fluids could be administered orally, injected under the skin or administered via enema to the puppy using a child's enema kit. Dehydrated puppies will not expel the fluid and will retain it. An expulsion of fluid means the intestinal system of the puppy is twisted and that pup should immediately go to the vet.

The site recommends the use of Parvaid and Pedialyte for hydration and a form of Colloidal Silver as an antibiotic. They also list where you can purchase these supplies.

Your Puppy - Your Friend

Puppies are the babies of the dog world. Treat the puppy as a sick child and provide around the clock attention. You must remain calm, be prepared to clean up messes and keep your puppy warm and as comfortable as possible. After your puppy recovers, it is crucial that you completely clean his hospital area with bleach and that you bag and dispose of contaminated bedding and supplies. While your puppy is sick, you will need to frequently disinfect your hands and throw away any personal supplies like latex gloves, aprons or any other clothing protectors.

Parvo is a virus, and it exists virtually everywhere. Veterinary treatment usually gives your puppy the best chance for survival, but if you truly can't afford it, providing at home care may still help your pet recover..

• clara_sophia
    8 years ago

How is the puppy doing? I agree he needs to be seen by a vet. Not eating is never a good sign. I hope he's getting treatment and doing better.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

If you have not already done so, take the dog to a vet. Most vets will work with you on expenses or treat the dog and find another family who can afford proper care if he gets well. If he does get well and you keep him, keep in mind that he will need an annual visit to the vet just for routiine care and accidents can occur anytime.

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

OP - you say you don't have "a lot" of money for a vet - does that mean you have SOME?

Im not one to call a vet for every little sniffle but you must recognize that 3 days of this is sounding very serious. Indeed, you yourself are phrasing this in terms of "saving" your dog. No one on the internet can do that for you - YOU need to do that.

Once you have a diagnosis then yes, people here will help you work through decisions about that and provide info based on their own experience.... but no way can anyone diagnose through the internet.

Call around - you can find one who will work with you on the financial aspects. If one place seems snooty and you don't get a good, caring vibe from them, keep calling - go down the list until you find someone who will talk to you. Look for vet schools. A good vet in my experience is one who cares about the human as well as the animal patient. Tell them the symptoms and be straightforward about your finances. You will have to pay something for the initial appointment and exam and they may require tests for an accurate diagnosis Every inch of the way a good vet will lay out several options and cost estimates ranging from minimal intervention to maximum.

There is no shame in being too poor to afford top of the line medical care. God knows a lot of us have been there and it doesn't mean we love our pets any less than someone with tons of money. But here's the thing - you take responsibility for a pet that means you must DO WHAT YOU CAN for that animal...... and if WHAT YOU CAN DO means that you spend money that youd rather spend on something else, if it means asking friends and family for a loan, if it means as a last resort surrendering the animal.... then THAT IS WHAT YOU DO.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I don't get it, if you had a child would you do this with them? When a person takes on the responsibility of a pet taking care of them includes when they are sick! A young dog will become dehydrated in a short time period. They need IV hydration. My dog has reflux she has times of vomiting and as soon as it is more than a day I know she needs IV hydration. I don't hesitate to get her to the vet. Most vets will work on a payment plan.

• clara_sophia
    8 years ago

OP, how is your dog?

• Oakley
    8 years ago

Since it's been three days, I have a feeling the outcome wasn't good. :( Shay, please check in if you can.

• Shay Burmeister
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok first of all let me say thank u to all the people who were trying to be helpful I really appreciate that! With that being said u judgemental people who are telling me I shouldn't have a dog just because I don't have money u guys are rude and disrespectful! I was just trying to find out if anyone else had ever had an experience like this with their dog! Is was NOT parvovirus and I did not have to take him to the vet! I went to the co op and got him some penicillin and have him two shots and some nausea medicine and wouldn't u kno the next day he was up and moving around and right back to his old self! All u people who were downing me because I couldn't afford to take him to the vet please so not write on my post! And FYI my mother has 8 dogs and plenty of money and she doesn't rush them to the vet everytime they get sick!! She treats them herself! For everyone else Bruzer is alive and well! Right back to his normal self! I just wanted to say that the vet is not always the answer sometimes u have to handle it urself because I for one can't afford insurance for myself let alone my dog. I'm glad u may have the money to piss away tho! But thank u for ur feedback!

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago

Shay, based on your post your mother must be proud.

Why did you post here if your mom is such a resource?

Crimney!

• eliz630
    8 years ago

No, someone does not have to be wealthy to own a pet responsibly. But you should see a vet when your pet is sick. If you don't have the cash then there are other options... Care credit, borrowing from friends or family, sell something to raise the money, hell.. Go to a pawn shop with some random stuff from around your house.

Finances have nothing to do with responsible pet ownership. Both incredibly poor and very wealthy people can responsibly own pets, and I most certainly do not think one must have tons of cash on hand to be a good pet parent. BUT when your pet is sick, you come up with the money one way or another and take the poor animal to a PROFESSIONAL... A licensed vet... Not some random self diagnosis at home with random meds you bought. Sorry, but that is not responsible pet ownership.. I'm glad your dog is ok, but you really need to consider saving or planning for pet emergencies, just like you would for emergencies with your children or yourself.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler