SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
deckat648

Are we working out and do we have goals?

Bonnie
7 years ago

This topic has been sorely missing here lately. I will admit that my gym attendance has been awful and I do miss it. Oddly though, I feel great and don't miss the difference the gym used to make in my mood. DH and I have been doing moderate carbs and have both dropped some lbs.-he more than me....agh...men! However, I am down a size and am happy with that.

Had my annual physical a couple of days ago and am waiting for blood test results.

Where do you stand and what are your goals?

Comments (71)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Way to go, Lynn! I'm always surprised when I get involved in medical stuff for whatever reason to see how many nurses, techs, and other health professionals seem to be overweight and obese. If anyone has access to information on the dangers of that, it would be them. My GF works at a hospital and tells me about one gal there who is a diabetic, overweight and has a really horrible diet and wonders why she can't control her sugar. Go figure.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I did want to mention HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training as there's evidence that it is beneficial for your heart, fat burning, blood lipids and other things, and it's fairly efficient so it accomplishes a lot in a short period of time. I've done HIIT walking and notice a huge difference in how I feel even though I'm walking for less time over a shorter distance.

Bonnie thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Related Discussions

we are working on a plan of all the food we have to plant UHHH O

Q

Comments (2)
    Check out my blog....I have researched what herbs/flowers would be good companions or insect repellers for various vegetables. www.howmygardengrows.wordpress.com There is a blog there on compantion planting. Let me know what you think...if you have found any other good matches.
    ...See More

How Many Grandchildren Do We Say We Have?

Q

Comments (5)
    I tell them I have 13 and would redirect the questions back to them if it was awkward for me. Where are your grandchildren living or how old are yours? Then find someone else to talk to. I have a different outlook than most. It is nothing to be ashamed of. I had rather say I don't see them because of family problems than let them hear gossip and rumors about the situation. This post was edited by EmmaR on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 10:42
    ...See More

Are we still working out? Hope so!

Q

Comments (52)
    Annie, I have seen some 10 minute stretches and mini workouts for runners but that isn't likely to be what you need. The ones I saw recently took 10-20 minutes and were meant to improve both running form and additional fitness. I'll have to find the link again if you are interested. I bookmarked it at work I know. BTW I ran a 5k Saturday morning and really had a great race. I won my age group (65-69)! Really got a good start and had an 11 minute first mile and a little over that for the second. The 3rd mile I slowed down a bit but the course was really rolling hills and there was a hill just before the end of mile 3. I finished in 35:40 so very happy with that.
    ...See More

Are we still working out/seeking healthy lifestyle.

Q

Comments (11)
    I joined a new (to me) workout facility that has small groups with a trainer, 20 minutes of weights followed by about 1/2 hr of cardio, 3 times a week. Food plan and weigh-ins every week. In the 5 weeks I've been going, I have lost..drumroll please...2 pounds. However, this was during the Epic Birthday celebrations and several weekends away, so if I hadn't been at least sorta following this new plan, I probably would have gained 5 lbs. And even though the scale says I've lost only 2 lbs., my jeans fit as though I've lost more. What works for me is that I have an appointment 3 times a week so I HAVE to show up. And then there's the weekly weigh in, so there's a lot of accountability. The only negative is that the trainers try to force a sort of social thing that I'm really not interested in. I have plenty of friends and not looking to make new ones at the gym. I'm friendly, but I'm there to get a job done! Health wise, I have some looming appointments that aren't all fun. Because my mom died of ovarian cancer, I have had annual pelvic ultrasounds since I was about 35 (I just turned 50). In all that time, they have been normal. A few weeks ago, I went for the usual u/s and there was "something" on my ovary. They want to check again in a few weeks to see if it was something cyclical and may just go away. If it's still there, I'll have an MRI. Since my mother died at 55, I have always had a "thing" about entering the 50-something decade, so having "something" found on an ovary 3 days after turning 50 has messed with my head a bit. But I'm trying not to worry about it. We are having a higher degree of stress than usual with oldest DS, who has provided a steady stream of stress during his 22 years, and I am trying to take care of myself in ways to help alleviate that stress so it doesn't bring me to an early grave! Massage, escapes with friends, exercise, etc.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I want to be able to stand on my hands sometime next year. My arms used to be strong enough but they aren't now.

I can stand on my head and if I am at a wall to assist my balance, I can balance just on my head, and I can stand on my head and lower my legs into different positions.

I have a strong core which I think is from doing surgical procedures and sort of locking in a certain position at work, and I can do planks for long period of time and talk at the same time, but I am not that strong overall. And the core strength has made me very inflexible.

So, increase flexibility and hand stands. I don't know if the handstand thing is even any sort of real goal, but I want to do it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I haven't tried a handstand in years...I doubt I could do it. With 2 herniated disks in my neck, I don't dare try headstands or even neck stands any more.

You can't beat yoga for adding flexibility...

• outsideplaying_gw
    6 years ago

Pal, are you doing any form of Pilates or do you have access to a Pilates studio? Handstands against a Yoga wall are actually quite easy and can be done with assistance knowing how to use your core. You might try it there rather than on your own, just for safety's sake.

Lynn, I admire you for taking an active role in supporting your DH's practice in the way you do. And bravo for being a part of the 'preventive' side of the practice. It's maybe not the easiest way to go, as evidenced by the shape so many people are in today, but clearly the best way.

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Lynn.....would you be interested in posting here the info you post on DH's website...cut and paste or some such......of course if there is a way without revealing yourselves or the practice. Or a blog perhaps.

The info and recipes would be very welcome and useful to many here. Am I correct that you follow a mostly low carb diet?

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Hi Joanie, yes, it's basically low-carb. Eliminating empty carbs as much as possible. That includes, although some may not agree with them all: white flour, white rice, wheat flour, brown rice, corn, sugar, etc. One of the things DH and many other docs and nutritionists (who aren't on some company's payroll) stress is that by eliminating empty carbs, and substituting grains such as quinoa, farro, and oats, nuts such as almonds and walnuts, and some veggies such as fresh spinach, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, you can actually eliminate the plaque build-up in your arteries. Not overnight, but it slowly does decrease. I can start a new thread and pop in some healthful substitutions and recipes. My only concern is those who might want to debate it. I am not wanting to get into that. But, I'll try to start something tomorrow if I can. My mom has taken a turn for the worse this morning and I'm just back and forth with phone calls home today, hoping that she'll pull through once again. That, and numbly vegging here. (And I mean that in a good way)

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Please do Lynn and I will share a great success story about my friend and her husband! That is pretty much how we try to eat too although I we do brown rice now and then. I should start subbing quinoa more. Prayers for your mother - please keep us posted!

• marlene2007
    6 years ago

Lynn, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. It's never easy to go through this with our parents. :-(

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Lynn......so sorry to hear about your mom....do tend to her and don't worry about posting. I hope she is OK.

Yes, I had thought about the "debate" issue and I get it. What really struck me in your first post was that your DH has seen Type 2 diabetes patients no longer need meds. It runs in my family too. Low carb seems to be the way to go but most people do find it difficult to sustain long term. Thanks again.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

I started doing yoga about a month ago -- I had taken random beginner classes here and there, but now I am committed to going 2-3 times a week. I love it. The studio is fairly new and the owner/head instructor is so nice. This feels so much healthier than the program I had gone to for a year, which was all about weight lifting and cardio -- and we got scolded if we wanted to walk outdoors instead of on their treadmills so they could monitor us. At my age, I need motivation but not scolding. I know some degree of weight lifting is good for us, and I will get into it again -- at home, on my own -- but for now, I am happy with my routine of yoga 2-3 times a week and walking (OUTDOORS, while I still can!) 3-4 times a week.

I have no doubt (and I am proof) that exercise has little impact on weight loss, which is why I need to get a handle on proper eating again. I was doing well, but with a stressful late summer/early fall, I fell under the spell of sugar once again. I am getting back on track as of this week!

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Totally agree that weight loss is not dependent on exercise. Case in point.... last January I lost my appetite. About the same time I lost my energy too. For a good six weeks I pretty much laid on the couch. A 20 minute trip to the grocery store would wear me out. About the most I could do each day was throw dishes in the dishwasher and laundry once or twice a week. I was nauseous but forced myself to eat...usually just toast, soup, etc.

Well, in six weeks of not eating as much as usual and laying on the couch...no exercise other than walking around the house only as needed.....I lost 12 lbs.

Of course we all know exercise has other benefits and kudos to those who are sticking with a program....you're motivating me to get back in the groove.

• Errant_gw
    6 years ago

MagdalenaLee, I also lift heavy. Or I should say, used to LOL I've been slacking off for about a year, as renovations have eaten up all my free time. We are the opposite as far as sciatica goes, though. I have RA, and as a result, frequently suffer awful sciatic and ulnar nerve pain. Both of those disappear when I'm lifting regularly, but are bugging me know that I've quit. I really need to get back into it.

• awm03
    6 years ago

errant, our renovations ate into my time too. Also I spent the summer preparing the other parts of the house for a reunion weekend with 7 college buddies since my new FR wasn't going to be ready in time. The most exercise I got was going up and down step ladders :( Hey, at least I could go up and down a step ladder! Some 60-year-olds can't do that. DH & I did some biking on vacations, but nothing regular. Plus my spin instructor was out with a hip transplant, and my kettle bell trainer was out with Lyme.

Anyway, renovations & reunions are over. The bike awaits & the fall is glorious. Spin & kettle bell teachers are bouncing back. We are all crawling our way back to fitness. I ran up a hill today with Madame Kettlebell!

• beaglesdoitbetter
    6 years ago

I third the recommendation for stevia. We go through a LOT of stevia because I drink a lot of tea and I like it very sweet. I've gone through a huge number of brands to find one that I really like, and this one from Amazon is the best I've ever found. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLT2CQ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Not only does this one not have the aftertaste that some of the stevia's do, but it also doesn't come from China and has no fillers at all and is non-GMO. They offer a money back guarantee so I would highly recommend trying it. A little goes a VERY long way.

(I'm not affiliated with this company at all! Just passing on the benefits of lots of Stevia tries!)

• LisaD82
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I began researching stevia more than 10 years ago when looking for non-chemical sweetener alternatives for my father, who had developed diabetes. Its earlier import ban that coincided with Monsanto's development of aspartame products is some good conspiracy theory reading. (wink)

My local nurseries sell stevia plants in the spring. My neighbor grows it like a herb and then "harvests" it. (She both dries the leaves and boils them in water for a syrup). I will say it looks an awful lot like sage and the stems are very, very sweet. I snipped the wrong herb last night to add to chicken soup and had to toss the whole batch.

Editing to add a few links for growing stevia. My neighbor had great success with her plants:

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/growing-guide-stevia

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/herbs/stevia-plant-zm0z13fmzkin.aspx?PageId=1#ArticleContent

• 4kids4us
    6 years ago

I need to get back on track. In my younger years, I was very active at the gym, doing strength training, taking classes, running, etc. My gym closed and for years, I bounced around from gym to gym never finding one that I really liked - I missed the comradery of my "gym" friends. About that time, I started doing more distance running and got pretty involved in that and my attendance at the gym pretty much ended, tho I did start taking TRX and barre classes during that time. But the last year, my running partners aren't as reliable, my TRX instructor got a full time job so no longer teaches, and I got bored with barre. Over that time, despite running regularly, the rest of my body is flabby and I've noticed weight gain (or movement, I should say as I haven't really gained any weight) around my mid-section. Since I've only a few years until menopause, this scares me as I know it's just harder and harder to lose weight as I age. I really just need to suck it up and join a gym - I find that I'm more accountable to myself when I go the gym, especially if I'm meeting friends there. I also need to sign up for more races - when I'm training for something, it forces me to stay on track. I do have a 10K coming up, but need to find a few more. Thankfully, I much prefer to run in cold weather. This morning was the first run since last spring where I needed a long sleeve shirt. Not only was I running a faster pace than normal, but I noted I had more energy to run farther - plus, I was running alone, something I don't do often. I love this cool weather!

I also need to work on my diet. While I don't eat much junk or processed foods, I need to cut back on things like cheese and home baked goodies. And not that I drink much, but wine. I love a glass of wine a couple of times a week, but need to substitute with tea instead. Too many extra calories that I don't need!

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Joanie, I don't think weight loss is dependent on exercise, but I do think it helps. At least it does me. Of course being ill like you were would almost guarantee a weight loss. I had a low grade kidney infection several years ago and was SO sick to my stomach. It took them a while to figure out the problem and in just a couple of weeks, I lost almost 20 lbs.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

When I lost weight I already had a well established exercise program which I didn't increase or change in anyway. I think both exercise and eating properly for weight loss are really important for different reasons. But, I also think that it would be really difficult, and asking a lot of someone, to implement both at the same time.

If I could offer advice to someone who wants to lose weight I would suggest paying attention to what you're eating and work on that aspect of your health first. Look at calories, fat intake, added sugars, processed foods, cooking methods (stir-fry vs deep-fry) etc. When weight loss occurs through diet changes (as opposed to going on a diet) it will be easier to exercise, even walking will be easier.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

IIRC, studies showed that those who exercise are better at maintaining any weight loss vs. those who don't. Of course, as hard as losing weight may be, maintaining the weight loss is the bigger nut to crack.

• kkay_md
    6 years ago

I've always been pretty trim, and I have seldom dieted or worried about carbs or fats. I enjoy cooking, and we always have interesting, abundant, and fresh meals with an emphasis on vegetables. I have never ingested artificial sweeteners. About 4 years ago I stopped eating anything with added sugar (baked goods, processed foods, desserts, sweets of any kind, including syrup, honey, agave, etc.) just as an experiment. Cutting out the sugar has made no apparent difference in my weight, but my doctor has been amazed at my blood labs. I never weigh myself (we have no scale at home since our daughter became anorexic at the age of 12), so I really have no idea how much I weigh, but I do know how my clothes fit. After a longish period of fitful and intermittent exercise after years of being very active, I have taken up walking. In the last 4 months, I have been walking vigorously about 4.25 miles a day on a hilly route, 6-7 days a week. And boy, the inches have come off. I had always subscribed to the theory that it was food, and not exercise, that made the difference--and I have always exercised more for well-being than anything else. So, I'm quite surprised at this development.

• anele_gw
    6 years ago

I have a really hard time eating healthy food as I honestly don't know what to eat. I know what's "bad"-- processed foods, those high in fat (especially certain kinds of fat), diets lacking variety, etc. I feel like it would be easier for me if I weren't a vegetarian-- so many vegetarian foods that are easy to prepare with readily-available ingredients rely on dairy, which I (unfortunately) love. Any suggestions for vegetarian meal plans?

Last year we had a nice group going here for exercise. Exercise made a huge difference for me. The numbers on the scale didn't change but I became much more fit. My clothes looked much better and I felt good wearing sleeveless shirts, because I had muscle definition. I really enjoyed exercising overall-- until my knee pain (part of my motivation to exercise) started worsening instead of improving as it had been originally. I started researching and doing exercises to help with sore knees but then it just became too much of a project and I gave up.

I have lost my motivation. I don't know why it's so much harder this year vs last to find time, except that I have a dog now, and he doesn't like long walks. They get him too overstimulated. Part of why I got a dog was for long walks!

I bought another Fitnessblender.com ebook last month. 4 week fat-burning workout, but this one is low impact. I think the high impact is what affected my knees. Of course, right at that time, the computer connected to our TV stopped working. I guess I could use my iPad for the videos. . .but that seems too hard to see.

Also adding-- it was a real challenge for me to increase my difficulty level of exercise at the right speed. Too easy and then I wasted my time. Too hard and it was too hard. Didn't want form to suffer. On Fitnessblender I learned that the body tries to take the easy way out-- we are efficient-- so we are fighting against nature when we get stronger!

• MagdalenaLee
    6 years ago

Sandra Aamodt: Why dieting doesn't usually work.

This is a really great Ted Talk. She is a neuroscientist talking about how our brains work in regard to body weight. I think understanding weight "set point" is very important and explains why it is so very hard to maintain weight loss.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

anele, you might want to look into HIIT. It allows you to get more intensity out of shorter walks. Skip Orem's podcasts for HIIT are free to download. I put the ones I wanted on my ipod and then I go take a walk. Some of the music is corny, but it helps you keep pace. It also allows you to define for yourself what your level of intensity is so it would be very easy to ramp up gradually.

kkay, I agree about the impact of exercise on body shape. Many years ago, I would nordic trak in my basement as my aerobics and my saddle bags just kept getting more prominent. Then I switched to walking including hill climbing and my saddle bags went down by a lot...especially as when I walk (and when I remember) I try to walk with one foot in front of the other. This way all the 4 major muscles of the thighs get exercised.

• pippiep
    6 years ago

Another heavy lifter here. My goal is to deadlift over 200; I made it to 195 this week! Barely. It was really hard. I haven't been able to do more than one workout a week since we decided to move, which was around Labor Day. I've been too distracted with packing, cleaning, etc. I can't wait to get back to 3x/week. I also plan to start daily walks after the move. I don't like walking where I live right now; I'm in the middle of the woods, and I don't like bugs!

The combination of lifting heavy and changing my diet (logging everything on MyFitnessPal) helped me lose 40 pounds very quickly a couple of years ago (Jan --> Sep). I know the same thing doesn't work for everyone, but I had tried everything before then. I'm still amazed at this change, every single day. I will never take this body for granted again. My plan is to keep myself healthy as long as it's in my power to do so.

• busybee3
    6 years ago

the easiest way for me to keep pace is to walk with a fast and motivated walker, but they are very hard to find! I try to focus on doing intervals sometimes, where I really try to vary my pace- even the dogs like it! pace (and hills!) really do make a difference in how fit I feel... wearing a stop watch might help if you don't have an app.

even just walking with my ipod playing upbeat/energetic music really can help me set a pace and maintain it...

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

I mentioned up in my original post that I work out at a private gym that specializes in adults fifty and over. My trainer is a physical therapist and he's shown me a safe and effective way to work on my abs. He says crunches are not safe for people over 50. DH told me that, too, but I didn't listen and ended up hurting my neck. I wanted to share this new way he taught me, in case any of you are interested in tightening up your abs, as well. This is NOT for anyone with shoulder problems, though! But, it's easy on your neck and back, which is a good thing for me. Oh, and it's also helping to tone up your arms, as well!

You take 2 hand weights, 4-8 pounds each. Your call. I use 8 pound weights myself, here at home ( just because I already had them) and 6-pound weights at the gym.

Lay flat on your back on a bed. It's important that your entire body, except perhaps your ankles and feet, are on the bed for support. You'll need your head close enough to one side (or the bottom) so that your hands can drop over the edge as you do this exercise. So, entire body on the bed. Hold the weights, one in each hand. Tighten your abs. Raise your arms straight up (at the same time) towards the ceiling and then slowly, let your arms drop straight back further. Tighten your abs as you go. When you get back far enough that you're feeling it in your abs, bounce the weights gently up and down a bit more. It's important not to do this quickly. Rest and repeat.

It's working for me . . . just be careful not to smack yourself in the head with the weights (LOL)!

• sas95
    6 years ago

I have found Pilates to be the best way to work on my abs. My whole core, actually, but especially the abs.

• anele_gw
    6 years ago

Annie, thank you! I used HIIT for regular workouts and it's what contributed to my knee issues worsening, but on walks I would think it would be very different. I will see if I can get some walks in-- definitely more challenging since it gets dark early and I'd have to take along some kids otherwise!

Thanks to this thread I decided to make a schedule and I got up really early this morning to get a workout in. Day 1 of the 4 week program. It was easy, but better that than go too fast and injure myself!

I'll have to try your ab workout, Lynn.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Sas, I agree with you about Pilates being the best core workout. I find I can incorporate many of the techniques into things I can do at home (floor work for example) if I can't get to the gym. Many routines now recommended for runners (and I suspect other athletes) as part of cross training are based on Pilates core exercises.

• Errant_gw
    6 years ago

195 is amazing, pippiep! I really need to get back into it :o

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Lynn....a private gym that caters to the over 50 crowd with a PT on staff? What a great idea.....sure wish they had these in my area.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

DH and I have always said there should be more gyms that cater a segment to the baby boomer generation and have trainers that specialize in specific exercise that targets over 50's, over 70's, etc, depending on beginning fitness level. Crunches, in general, are so yesterday, and usually not done correctly.

I passed a big milestone this morning. Did a 15k race and came in 2nd in my age group (60-69 for this race). I actually did a little over 10 miles because our training group did a warm-up of about 3/4 mile. Feels pretty good right now.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

OutsidePlaying - I completely agree with you. I do go to a strength conditioning gym and the trainers do concentrate on things such as balance, quick foot work, core strength - their philosophy is based on functional fitness. When we are doing weight work we can choose our own weights.

They actually just hired a physio as well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Well done, outside playing! You must be very proud!

• marlene2007
    6 years ago

Way to go Outsideplaying! I barely finished at 5 miles today :-).

• rococogurl
    6 years ago

DH was sent to pulmonary rehab a couple of years ago after a bout with congestive heart failure. It's fully monitored gym associated with a hospital and there are nurses on staff. They started him in a 6-week program 3 days a week for an hour. They had him doing 600 arm exercises with 1 pound weights plus gentle cardio on the stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical and rowing machines. It made a huge difference and helped him gain back upper and lower body strength. He has never exercised and had no idea.

It's a gym for anyone who has had heart surgery or lung issues or surgery or who have ongoing issues. They come in there with walkers, oxygen tanks and one woman pushes a laundry basket. There are people with orthopedic issues as well and one or two sightless.

It is amazing to see the people who come in there who know nothing when they arrive and have been ill and leave in great shape. Some stay on although I'm surprised that most don't. There is a core group that have been going there for a long time.

Anyone can join this gym btw. It's reasonable and definitely geared to over 50. Major medical centers may have similar facilities. It's a great place for seniors to start.

Additionally, if anyone has Medicare, check into the Silver Sneakers program. It's a discount gym membership available through some Medicare programs. Often there are special senior classes. Community senior centers sometimes have them as well.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Thank you Annie. When I started this training, I honestly didn't know if my knees could take it. So far, so good.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

In my MB-eat class, one of the first and primary things she has us monitoring is our sleep patterns. We are to aim for 7 hrs a night. The night before I only got 2 1/2 hrs... a really bad night. So yesterday, after a stressful day with no sleep, trying to control my eating was impossible...it was total carb craving. Last night, I went to bed early and got an amazing 8 1/2 hrs and not only do I feel far more human, I've got the energy to prep and focus on the right foods. So, IMHO, sleep is as fundamental as diet and exercise when it comes to health and weight control.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I have been swimming for the last several months but need to stop because I'm getting too bulky on top. I seem to gain muscle fairly easy. It's time to get out my large collection of Mat Pilates and ball CD,s. I have a gym membership that I haven't been using but think I will go twice a week with home Mat work in between. Low weight with extra reps for upper with ball or Pilates for lengthening is my next goal. I can do the same for lower except heavier weights. I need to watch my portion control.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

I've inherited blood pressure and cholesterol problems and also had a severe reaction to Crestor, so I'm strictly on my own when it comes to managing the cholestrol.

I've learned, through trial and error, that avoidance of empty, starchy carbs and sugar makes a huge difference in all of my numbers. I typically start my day with a "sludgie" made in a NutriBullet with lots of leafy greens, some fruit, yogurt, nuts, seeds, and a liquid of my choice.

I do not avoid fatty foods at all; no fat-free or low-fat anything. Bacon is my friend. But there's no processed food in my pantry, no hidden sugars, no breads, or cereals. I guess I follow a modified Atkins program, with lots of vegetables added to the meat, eggs, and dairy foods. I don't count calories; I'd probably be horrified. Carbs are what I keep track of.

I have to watch my weight.....in order to not lose any more. I'm never hungry, that's partly due to the fat in what I eat but also to the absence of sugars and any breads, pasta, cereal. Those foods always made me hungry for more, more, more.

Once I more or less recovered from the Crestor issues, I was left with what has been diagnised as fibromyalgia. My body failed me rapidly. Fortunately, I am able to take advantage of nearby fitness center where I participate in water aerobic classes, yoga, pilates, muscle machines and training, and just plain swimming for fun.

I initially used a trainer (PT) to work with me on my strength and muscles, and she was a huge help.

The difference between how I felt and looked before I started going to the center and now is incredible. I was feeling weak, frail, unsteady on my feet, all of which made me feel helpless and very, very old. I'm just old....not very, very! ;-)

Oh, my blood work is stellar....no more meds of any kind.

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Rhizo.......is there a way to message you? I've had issues with Crestor as well.

• awm03
    6 years ago

OutsidePlaying, you are an inspiration.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Thank you awm03, but this 90-year old woman is truly an inspiration!

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2015/10/08/senior-runner-breaks-world-record/#.VhsN3zc8LCQ

Rhizo, I am glad to hear you are on track to better health! A success story for sure.

• marlene2007
    6 years ago

OSP OMG! She is amazing! She's who I want to be when I am 90 (or 70 :-)).

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Joanie, I sent you a message via houzz. I can be contacted that way, too.

• deegw
    6 years ago

Every time I skim the forum I read this thread title and think it says "Are we working out and do we have GOATS?"

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Rhizo....thank you....I just sent you a message.

• Bonnie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Funny, dee_gw! If we had goats we'd be getting a good workout! What an interesting variety of responses and suggestions here. I always take away a few pointers (like Annie's Pilates link to YouTube.) All my blood test results were good, with total cholesterol being 184. After a brief hiatus, while getting acclimated to a new job, which really is NOT an excuse, I am back on track with the workouts. As I age I find strength training at the gym to be an essential part of keeping the muscles toned. My gym has a 30 minute circuit, combining weight machines with cardio/step. After that I make my way to the "ab" room. Ick! Hate every minute of it, but need to do it.

Keep on doing what you can to keep active, stay toned and maintain/attain a healthy lifestyle.