SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

"Bucket List Recipes" - those that intimidate us

Funkyart
8 years ago

I caught a link to Joy the Baker's blog post today and it really resonated with me -- it put into print a discussion I've been having with myself and a few people close to me.

I have always preached that good cooking is as much about confidence, curiosity and creativity as it is about technique and skill. Fearlessness results in crazy new favorite recipes like Meatloaf with Walnuts, Portabellos, Spinach and Parmesan... or Frozen Pumpkin Creme Fraiche Sandwiches. Of course, fearlessness can also lead to colossal failures-- but I view the failures as a step towards an eventual success!

This approach to cooking is admittedly a bit cocky-- I'll read many recipes but I follow few to the letter. I love to play with flavors and techniques. I constantly strive to improve flavor and streamline preparations.

And yet... like Joy the Baker, I have recipes that intimidate me. Many of them are basic-- you'll read them and think, "oh my gosh! That's so easy! Funky can do that!" And I am sure I can learn to do each of them but I have a mental block. There's something that holds me back. I make excuses "I don't have the right equipment", "I am a cook not a baker", "who will eat all these desserts" but in reality, I am afraid to fail. I am afraid it will look bad-- or worse, that it will taste bad. And if I am perfectly honest, it's not about the waste or expense, it's about my view of myself as a "good home cook". How can I call myself a good cook if I can't master ____?!

Also like Joy, I've talked about going on a mission to master the "bucket list" of things that intimidate me. The thing on my bucket list aren't just things I havent made- they are the things I WANT to make but shy away from for one reason or another. I can't tell you how many times I've said "this is the summer I learn to make pie crust".. and here I sit in October, pieless and every bit as scared of them as I was last October!

So what is on your Kitchen Bucket List? Here's mine:

Pie Crusts - seriously. Far and away the thing I most want to avoid/master. I have only ever made a pate brisee to use in a rustic tart and it was awful. The bf ate and loved it but it looked a hot mess! Until their later years, my grandmother and great grandmother both made lovely flaky crusts but I never asked them to teach me! Nothing less than a heavenly puffed flaky golden crust will make me proud.. and I have visions of a tough, overworked, anemic crust.

Roasts - I am not a big meat eater and as such I don't know how to buy a cut of meat for a roast or how to cook it to the proper temperature. I am totally comfortable with how to flavor it-- it's the physical cooking that intimidates me. I never had an issue with roasting a chicken or turkey-- and in the last few years, I have become very comfortable with slow cooking meat-- I make excellent beef stew and slow cooked pork (on the grill)... but no oven roasted red meats. I am not as driven to overcome this particular fear but it is definitely a big hole in my skills and experience.

Indian Food - I can't completely explain my fear of cooking indian food. I've made a pretty broad range of asian and middle eastern recipes that call for spices and ingredients that are new to me. I have had a range of success with them but even if they didn't taste authentic, they all have been very good to eat. But as eager and excited as I was to try the other eastern/middle eastern cuisines, I am timid and hesitant to try the Indian dishes. I suspect it is because the spices are so much stronger. I did make a curried cauliflower and chickpea stew that was great-- but even with that success under my belt, I am slow to move on to another. We had a great spicy potato dish at a Himalayan restaurant a few years ago that the bf keeps asking me to make-- and I keep putting it off. I guess this will be the dish to get me started over the hump!

Comments (88)