SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Wise quotes that help with life & gardening & happiness

strawchicago z5
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My kid's English teacher has her students write essays on wise quotes ... I shared with the English teacher some quotes from my Pinterest board, which help with one's happiness. I pass them on here, gardening is more enjoyable when I'm happy. The best quote is "Take time to smell the roses."

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life become"

"Treat yourself with love and respect, and you will attract people who show you love and respect."

"Stop worrying about someone that isn't worried about you. Never leave your key of happiness in someone's else pocket."

"Most people think happiness is about gaining something, but it's not. It's all about getting rid of the darkness you accumulate." Carolyn Crane.

"The only keeper of happiness is you. Stop giving people power to control your smile, your worth and your attitude."

"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us,, but by how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life."

"Judging a person does not define who they are .. it defines who you are."

"Protect your spirit from contamination. Limit time with negative people." Thema Davis.

"Respond to a negative energy and you'll invite evil."

"If we don't forgive people, we are bound to them for life."

"When people are negative, it's their problem, and not yours."

"You will accomplish more by kind words and a courteous manner than by anger or sharp rebuke, which should never be used except in necessity." St. Angela Merici.

https://www.pinterest.com/clonewar/wise-quotes-wisdom/

https://www.pinterest.com/clonewar/catholic-saints-quotes-beliefs-and-bible-info/

What are your favorite wise quotes? Thank you. A good quote from Gertrude Jekyll: "

A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.

Below is Stephen Big Purple bloom, seen from my window with screen. Pic. taken last year in mid-October. The window screen represents life's canvas. Without flowers & roses, life is dull & empty: a blank canvas.

Comments (39)

• User
    8 years ago

Straw

I like the screen picture.

I bought my mom a garden sign "The Earth laughs in flowers"

Oct 1 , 2015 Wedgewood.

Its gonna be 35 degrees tonight and 38 tomorrow night. Ha where is the rose midge? They can't eat all the Wedgewood roses. Haha

The rock in the top of the picture is from 2010 (first year I went to the Pocono Raceway)on the Northern part of Pennsylvania Turnpike. The red color is Iron , good for the Roses.

• Related Discussions

Name That Favorite Gardening Quote, or any favorite quote ...

Q

Comments (29)
    I love this thread, How about this one, I have a sign in my garden and it is wearing out wish I had another one. It say's, Free Weed's Pull your own, so cute it makes people laugh. always catches a eye, and we have one that say's God's signature written in flower's. I just love the one you see everywhere, Live well, laugh often and Love much. One says welcome God Sunshine and Flowers or could put friends. Love the quote's this thread made me chuckle.
    ...See More

Another Happy Soapstone Customer! or, Life After Pickled Cabs

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for your comments! charlikin: the paint is Muralo Prairie Path. It is a mellow greenish/gray. It is the same color in both the before and after photos. The room gets a lot of light (two huge windows/western and southern exposure) and I've found the quality of light very different between summer (before photos taken then) and winter (after photos). The wall color, cabinet color, and soapstone all look different depending on the time of day/season! It makes it hard to photograph. I'm really happy with the wall color--it picks up the green tones in the soapstone. americancolleen: the refrigerator was here when I moved in, so I don't much about it. It is a GE Profile, and the manual lists the following model numbers: TCX18/TCC18/TDC18/TCD18/TCS18. It is 30" wide and about 28" long. Hope that helps!
    ...See More

12/15/15: Wise quotes, roses or what gave you health & happiness?

Q

Comments (49)
    Sam: Agree with you that biochar is low-level oxygen and slow-burning. Here's an excerpt from below link: "Without sophisticated kilns and ovens to produce modern biochar, this ancient material was likely made by setting alight a pile of organic material before covering it with dirt to eliminate oxygen but hold in the heat from the fire which, in turn, baked the organic matter. http://www.azocleantech.com/article.aspx?ArticleId=183 The above link is worth clicking, it shows vigorous plants grown with biochar, versus without. The reason why biochar is better than wood-ash? It's like cooking food with a slow-cooker (crock-pot), versus burning food on a hot fire. Slow-cooking retains more nutrients, versus LESS nutrients with fast burning & lots of oxygen. When my neighbor burned wood in a open-fire-pit, the heat was so intense that it converted our heavy-black-clay into reddish clay. Nutrients in foods are destroyed at high temp, same with wood-ash: less nutrients than biochar.
    ...See More

Share your Travels.... Gardens, Roses, History & Culture world over

Q

Comments (133)
    Straw: I would rate the climate of Amman close to 9a or 8b of USDA standards with few big differences. It has cool and wet winters with lot of rains and some snow and warm (but not very hot) summers with no rains. I think this aspect also plays an important role in the size of roses here. The roses grow huge in the Northern Areas of Pakistan as well and it also has cool summers with almost no rains along with very cold and wet winters. Additionally, the ground bed naturally has little soil in Amman area as it is mostly composed of limestone rock. Most soil put in the gardens for growing roses / other plants is brought from other places and looks like a fertile well drained soil to me. best regards to
    ...See More
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Nice pic Sam! I like that saying... "The Earth laughs in flowers" :-)

Cool rock Sam! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 30's....

Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.

Luther Burbank

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you.

Richard Brinsley Sheridan

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.

Alphonse Karr

God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.

James M. Barrie

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is.

Albert Camus

"Never lose an opportunity for seeing anything that is beautiful; For beauty is God's handwriting -- a wayside sacrament.

Welcome it in every fair face, in every fair sky, in every fair flower, And thank God for it as a cup of His blessing."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end,
    a person is only known
    by the impact they have on others."

- Jim Stovall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Laughter is good medicine for the soul.
    Our world is desperately in need of more medicine."

- Jim Stovall

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Live an honorable life. Then when you get older
    and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time."

- Unknown

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

strawchicago z5 thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Jim, for all those great quotes .. love the last one !!

Sam: That's the prettiest pic. of the Wedgewood Rose, and I like the quote too. "The earth laughs in flowers."

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm gathering quotes that help me to put less in my mouth & help with losing weight. Some quotes on gluttony:

"Gluttony is wrong. It's wasteful" Alton Brown.

"Gluttony is a lust of the mind" Thomas Hobbes.

Proverbs 23:2 " And put a knife to your throat if you are given to appetite. "

Proverbs 25:16 " If you have found honey, eat only enough for you, lest you have your fill of it and vomit it. "

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. "

Proverbs 23:21 " For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags."

Psalm 78:18 " They tested God in their heart by demanding the food they craved. "

1 Corinthians 10:31 " So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

Romans 13:14 " But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. "

Proverbs 23:20 " Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat."

Galatians 6:7-8 "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life."

*** From StrawChicago: In the old days people sniff roses to enjoy life, now young folks are doing drugs. Roses are much cheaper than drugs and grocery-bills. So sad on the shooting of Oregon campus. Both recreational drugs and anti-depressant medications have violent side-effects. Many past shooters were on anti-depressant medications. That's why I promote growing roses, nature's beauty is a healthy gift from God for us to enjoy ... and NOT some man-made chemicals that mess up our minds. Below is a bouquet, pic. taken Sept. 30, pink Sonia Rykiel, dark-pink Pink Peace, yellow Tchaikovsky, and orange Pat Austin:

8 years ago

Great quotes Straw! Nice roses! :-)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I love these ones!!

Never leave your key of happiness in someone's else pocket."

If we don't forgive people, we are bound to them for life."

That picture looks awesome with the screen. You could probably use that as a pattern and do a needlework project on that!!

The Earth laughs in flowers

Oh Straw!!!! Those roses - gasp!!!

Carol

strawchicago z5 thanked rosecanadian
  • User
    8 years ago

Straw

Love your quotes. Rock on

Rosey Sunday

strawchicago z5 thanked User
  • KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

I don't have any wise quotes to share but I absolutely enjoy all of the quotes posted above esp. those related to gardening and roses. It is so wonderful of you all to take the time out to share them.

• User
    8 years ago

Hi Karen

Glad you like them . Carol calls us "Rock" stars. Haha

I can't wait to get pea gravel Azomite and rock phosphate next year and also I get Iron oxide color rocks from along the PA turnpike. Haha

8 years ago

psssssss... watch out for those Pa State Troopers Sam.... lol...The secrets that our Pa rocks possess are closely guarded...ha ha

• User
    8 years ago

Next year June can't wait.

I usually go down to NYC and over across 80. Next year I can visit family in Scranton then down the 476 Turnpike where the good rusty rocks are. I hope I don't get caught rusty rocks rustlin. Or else I will see the Iron bars for sure.

• User
    8 years ago

The Pocono race got better in June they announced a added raceday series for the first time next year. The Xfinity series on Saturday June 4 as well as the cup series Sunday.

8 years ago

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rose has been a favorite flower of poets since poetry began. Maybe it's because like a poem, a rose can say so much without saying much at all. The soft silky feel of a fresh rose petal evokes tenderness; the fragrant scent of a fresh spring rose brings refreshment; the vibrant colors of red, pink, peach, purple, orange, yellow, and white roses remind us of the dazzling beauty of creation; and getting pricked by a thorn causes pain. Roses are a reflection of life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted.

Henri Matisse

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns;
    the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious to the rose

Kahlil Gibran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not watch the petals fall from the rose with sadness, know that, like life, things sometimes must fade, before they can bloom again.

unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True friendship is like a rose: we don't realize its beauty until it fades.
    Evelyn Loeb

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.’ Gertrude Jekyll

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Jim. I love the quote "True friendship is like a rose: we don't realize its beauty until it fades." Evelyn Loeb.

Some quotes of Catholic Saints & wise people that I collected for my Pinterest, see below:

"God gave Himself to you: give yourself to God. " -- Blessed Robert Southwell

On worry: "For pity's sake, don't start meeting troubles halfway. " St. Teresa of Avila

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." Saint Francis of Assisi

"Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." C.S. Lewis

We would do ourselves a tremendous favor by letting go of the people who poison our spirit.

“He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.” ― Socrates

DON'T LET YOURSELF GET HURT BY OTHERS' SINS ... LET THEM PAY FOR THEIR OWN SINS.

Create your own happiness, rather than depending on others for your happiness.

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. —Unknown Author

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

So, unless you express your charity, you are locked inside your greed.” ― Noah Benshea, Jacob the Baker: Gentle Wisdom For a Complicated World

You don’t have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is. - Red Haircrow

If you can’t be a pencil to write anyone’s happiness then try to be a nice eraser to remove anyone’s sadness.

If you want to fly, you have to GIVE UP the things that weigh you down.

The first step of getting what you want is having the courage to get rid of what you don’t want.

"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent." St. John of the Cross

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ― Mother Teresa

“What you are is God's gift to you, what you become is your gift to God.” ― Hans Urs von Balthasar, Prayer

Below is my Pinterest collection on wise quotes:

https://www.pinterest.com/clonewar/catholic-saints-quotes-beliefs-and-bible-info/

8 years ago

Great quotes Straw! I really like:

DON'T LET YOURSELF GET HURT BY OTHERS' SINS ... LET THEM PAY FOR THEIR OWN SINS.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Agree Jim: That's my favorite quote. Before then I used to get hurt when someone is nasty, but after making a Pinterest board of "Stop bullies, help for the hurt", I realize that bullies make others pay for their actions. From that time, I refuse to accept anyone's responsibility to their actions ... I refuse to get hurt, and let them pay for their own sins.

My favorite quote from the above is: You don’t have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is. - Red Haircrow

That's what going on in other forums: bullies would insult & put down others to hold their ground, it's like people who have nothing solid to contribute, would nit-pick on others' info. I like this Organic rose forum, since we are secure & honest enough to share about our own gardens' & to post pics. and to speak for ourselves.

8 years ago

Yes the below quote that you posted is also a very good one!

My favorite quote from the above is: You don’t have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is. - Red Haircrow

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love your last quote: We are for such a short time, so leave a beautiful lasting impressions. I really enjoy JessJennings' visit ... she has a great personality, like the quote said "charming gardeners who make our soul blossom." JessJennings remind me of when I was first into roses ... so excited about new blooms. Somehow the nit-picking, jealousy, and Bayer-pushers in other Rose forums killed that fun ... for a few years I HATED roses, and gave away many. It's so nice to find that enjoyment again, in your joy in new blooms' opening, and in Jess's joyful & gracious spirit.

• User
    8 years ago

Here is my favorite quote.......

karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

June 15, 2012 at 11:24PM

Gee I've completely eliminatated fungicide spraying in my garden. . Sure I have some blackspot but I can live with it. I grow mostly disease resistant varieties but don't feel I've given up anything except my weekly spraying.

I got over my perfect leaf phobia long ago.

Gave all my pesticides away

.....................................................................................

,,..................................................................................

This quote was found on an old post about Organic methods. After the sprayers stated how they can't imagine eliminate spraying.

It's the people that make this organic rose forum good. I am enjoying my rose journey very much. I didn't set out to go down this path. I got steered this way. I am happy met Straw (Thanks Straw) and Karl Bapst and The people from Cornell and Mike McGrath and Elaine Ingham.

As I look back I see that everything I needed was right here where I live, there is no place like home. Like Straw says nobody knows your own soil and conditions better.

All I need is sharp streams of water toads on the ground birds in the air and local made compost.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Sam, for that quote from Karl Bapst. The root of all diseases? Imbalance of nutrients (Examples: not enough potassium, not having anti-fungal trace-elements, or too much of one element). Or Imbalance of water (too much or too little). Spraying on leaves doesn't fix bad soil, it only benefit chemical-pushers and Bayer corp. (who gassed 6 million Jews).

I like what you wrote: "I never needed corporate Bayer Also I don't like ( Mulch and Soil council) pushers. Or synthetic fertilizer made from haber bosch and natural gas."

I was the only poster in Organic Rose for a long time .. and I didn't mind. It was peaceful, and I was safe from being put on trial (for using molasses), or nit-picked. Remember Germany in WWII? A vast crowd in that country followed a dictator with wrong ideas. Or this country: lots of people are on drugs. Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean it's right.

My favorite quote is from Jesus Christ "The Narrow Gate
    13"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."

*** From Straw: I was on the wide-path and it didn't work. Decades ago I sprayed weekly with Bayer, it was a total waste of time and money. It benefited Bayer, but hurt my soil and killed life: no earthworms, no bees, no butterflies.

8 years ago

I'm street smart but dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to being book smart...lol

So I'm glad your doing the experiments and finding all this science stuff out....lol

I used to burn my fingers in chem class...lol...Things would fizz when they were not suppose to also..lol

I once turned my gold class ring silver with I think mercury.... I freaked out but static eletricity in my pants pocket zapped the mercury back out and the ring returned to a gold color...lol

• stolenidentity
    8 years ago

Thyme in the garden is well spent :)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Benjamin Franklin quotes

Think for yourself and question authority Timothy Leary

The Bible also advise to think for oneself, rather than going with the crowd: Romans 12:2 " 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If you spend all your time worrying about what others think, you will eventually forget how to think for yourself Nishan Panwar

Let go, let God.

"You are always responsible for how you act no matter how you feel."

If you are not happy being single, you will never be happy in a relationship. Get your own life first, then share it.

“Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.” – Raymond Lindquist

Never force anything. Give it your best shot, and then let it be. If it’s meant to be, it will be.

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. (Proverbs 29:11)

What we want or desire is not necessarily what we need. - Dr T.P.Chia

"He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done. " – Proverbs 19:17

Fly from bad companions as from the bite of a poisonous snake. If you keep good companions, I can assure you that you will one day rejoice with the blessed in Heaven; whereas if you keep with those who are bad, you will become bad yourself, and you will be in danger of losing your soul. -- St. John Bosco

Greed has taken the whole universe, and nobody is worried about their soul. Little Richard

The only thing we can take along when we die is what we have given to others.

*** From Straw: I also researched on real-life Near-death-Experiences (NDE) and put in my Pinterest board:

https://www.pinterest.com/clonewar/hope-for-the-suicide-near-death-experiences-nde/

"The being arrived and showed me part of my past and some of my future. In particular, my little brother, Tim. Well, Tim is very hyper and a bit of a brat, so my response to the angels when shown some "footage" of Tim acting up and not being nice to me was, "Well, yea, Timmy's a brat." as if everyone in the Universe already knew that ... I was told by the angels, "Do not make their problem, your problem, Dear One."

Peter Russell's amphetamines NDE "The Spirit said "it was your fault that you died, because you were not looking after yourself. That is considered a form of suicide, and there is a penalty that must be paid. The Spirit then communicated; "YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO HURT YOURSELF OR ANYONE ELSE, BECAUSE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE ARE THE PERSONAL PROPERTY OF GOD"

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Having a rose garden can impact future generations. When I was 13 years old, I walked everyday from school, and passed by a house with a gorgeous rose-garden in front. That was the highlight of my day, that garden comforted me from a long day at school, everyday for the entire year. What I am doing in this Organic Rose forum is to repay the favor of that house.

The roses we give to others can enrich their lives. My best memories was of an old Christian couple who helped us. The lady made the best dinner rolls, and the guy picked Peace-rose from his garden to give to us 9 girls. I still remember the wonderful fragrance of Peace .. that was 40 years ago.

From my Pinterest board on NDE (near-death-experience), everything we do or say have a "ripple-effect" across the miles, and across generations.

https://www.pinterest.com/clonewar/hope-for-the-suicide-near-death-experiences-nde/

Alon Anava's NDE "When you are standing in front of those judges, everything is just weight. Sometimes a small deed is worth so much. Some small deed that you do in this world can change completely how you are being judged. There are so many little things that you can just do. Just give a smile to another person, be nicer to your wife, be nicer to your kids, be nicer to another person. Be honest… Whatever you do in this world, echoes in eternity.”

Alon Anava's NDE from secular to devout: "In the Mishnah, when you do a good deed you create yourself a defense attorney. When you do a sin, you create yourself a prosecutor. I only had prosecutors around me ... they showed me my whole life from the beginning through my whole life. It’s as if I lived my whole life again. Every second of my life."

Alon Anava's NDE "I had done bad things. This was payback time ... Every time I saw my sins there are no words to describe the fear, pain, or shame. I saw every sin that I did; it came to revenge. It came to take back what I took. It came in a form that was extremely negative, scary or painful ... You create your own destructive angels ... painful, scary… I knew I created this for myself. I started screaming, “God! Get me out of here! Help me!"

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm a worry freak, esp. when I'm short of sleep. My guardian angel whispered in my ears yesterday when I felt so bad about my daughter's crying, "Life is so hard, don't make it harder by taking it so seriously."

Here are some quotes on worrying, from below link"

http://www.quotegarden.com/worry.html

If I had my life to live over, I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I'd have fewer imaginary ones. ~Don Herold

Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday. ~Author Unknown

Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. ~Leo Buscaglia

People gather bundles of sticks to build bridges they never cross. ~Author Unknown

People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them. ~George Bernard Shaw, "Family Affection," Parents and Children, 1914

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe. ~Author Unknown

Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. ~Swedish Proverb

We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday's burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it. ~John Newton

A day of worry is more exhausting than a day of work. ~John Lubbock

Worry trades the joy of now for the unlikely catastrophes of later. ~Tim Fargo

As a rule, what is out of sight disturbs men's minds more seriously than what they see. ~Julius Caesar

Don't shoulder the burdens of others!...
    Each man has his own special troubles,
    His worries and problems and woes;
    Give aid when you can to each mortal,
    But try not to feel all his blows!
    For you, too, have burdens to carry;
    And, if you just wear yourself out
    In agony over all others,
    How can you, your own troubles, rout?
    ~Gertrude Buckingham, "Good Advice"

It is not the cares of today, but the cares of tomorrow, that weigh a man down. ~George MacDonald

Some of your hurts you have cured,
    And the sharpest you still have survived,
    But what torments of grief you endured
    From the evil which never arrived.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Worry is a prayer for what you don't want. ~Cultivate Greatness Blog, August 2008

There are people who are always anticipating trouble, and in this way they manage to enjoy many sorrows that never really happen to them. ~Josh Billings

Love looks forward, hate looks back, anxiety has eyes all over its head. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due. ~William Ralph Inge

There are more things, Lucilius, that frighten us than injure us, and we suffer more in imagination than in reality. ~Seneca

We are more disturbed by a calamity which threatens us than by one which has befallen us. ~John Lancaster Spalding

We are, perhaps, uniquely among the earth's creatures, the worrying animal. We worry away our lives. ~Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail, 1979

Do not be afraid of tomorrow; for God is already there. ~Author Unknown

Real difficulties can be overcome, it is only the imaginary ones that are unconquerable. ~Theodore N. Vail

No man ever sank under the burden of the day. It is when tomorrow's burden is added to the burden of today that the weight is more than a man can bear. ~George MacDonald

Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff. ~Robert Eliot

He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears. ~Michel de Montaigne

No human thing is of serious importance. ~Plato, The Republic

Fear can keep us up all night long, but faith makes one fine pillow. ~Philip Gulley

Every evening I turn my worries over to God. He's going to be up all night anyway. ~Mary C. Crowley

• User
    8 years ago

here is a the sign I gave my mother for her small flower bed 20 years ago. (She had to repaint)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I love that sign!!!! Wonderful!!

Carol

• User
    8 years ago

My mom sent the picture from facebook in Las Vegas , they are house sitting. Different places for winter taking care of pets. I asked her if she could find the pictures on her camera phone. She found it! I am so glad to show you guys. It fits in the little flower bed at the entrance of their wooded mountain Adirondacks home.

In the 90s, I bought this sign at the new garden center in our small hometown on the Lake. way before I had my house or garden in my small city. I never thought I would have my own flowers. Ha. Now I need a sign of my own.

Thanks you guys for making the Organic rose forum so good.

Rocks sand silt clay and pebbles.

Elaine Ingham says any soil has enough nutrients for 100 years, just need the biology.

8 years ago

Nice looking sign Sam! Thanks for sharing!

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks for spending time to gather all these inspiring quotes.

• User
    8 years ago

In teaching others we teach ourselves.

8 years ago

The Greatest Teacher of All...

Parables of Jesus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4q_4rbl9X0&list=PL67B151CAF32FB3E4

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The book of James in the Bible is my favorite ... James focus on ACTION, rather than what one believes in. James 2:19 "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder !!"

I subscribe to Verse of the Day, where Bible verse are sent to my e-mail daily. Really love this quote sent today "For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. "— James 3:16