SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avinashveer

How to grow and make soild for lithops

Avinash Veer
8 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have totally fallen in love with living rocks and I really wish to have few growing in my house. So I've ordered some lithops and Pleiospilos seeds from eBay which I'm planning to plant soon. Oh this will be my 1st time growing them.

I just have some questions about lithops hopefully someone will be able to answer them.

I live in Mumbai, India and we don't have plant zones here. However, I have googled and found that I stay in zone 13. I'm not really sure if I'm in zone 13 but that's what Google says; anyway, my questions are as follows:

1. Here in India it's really difficult to find cactus mix, pumice, gravel, it's even difficult to find sand here I mean I can get sand but it's playing sand, and if I'm not wrong it's something that's not suggested to use for lithops and Pleiospilos as it gets sticky. So please suggest me what can I do to make a good soil for growing lithops.

2. From what I know south facing window is best for lithops. And I don't have a south facing window. Now I don't have south or east facing window as my father is in government service and we can't make any alterations to the house without special government approval, which can take ages in India. I got west facing window where I get uninterrupted sunlight from around 14:30 hrs to 18:30 hrs sometimes till 19:00 hrs. Summer temperature in Mumbai is aound 35-38°C sometimes it crosses 40°C. Even now as I'm writing the temperature is 30°C and it's 5:30 a.m. now. Winter temperature never goes below 17-18 degree. Now me being in zone 13 (as per google) will that much light and temperature be enough for living stones to grow on west facing window?

3. I'm aware of growing lithops by baggie method. However, any tips on growing lithops from seeds, i.e. what to do how to grow them, when to open the bag and how to open the bag will be appreciated.

4. Also, watering needs as per zone (13) any suggestions/tips will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Avinash

Comments (3)