SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Odd behavior

moonie_57 (8 NC)
8 years ago

My mother, who is in assisted living and under Hospice care has had a couple of weird incidents. The first time they sent her to the hospital and she was a bit dehydrated. The 2nd incident has been occurring this week.

Although she answers all your questions, most of the time she just doesn't seem to be "with it". When she speaks, it's in a small whisper that you can hardly understand. She's not much involved in activities and can no longer feed herself.

Back in July, all of a sudden she began speaking aloud, playing bingo, including helping a lady that sat next to her. She just talked and talked, bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Then suddenly she became almost in a zombie type state, and they sent her to the hospital. That's when they said she was a little dehydrated. Over a couple weeks time, she was back to her old self of just whispering, answering when spoken to, etc.

Now this week, she is once again all spunky and talking loudly, asking many questions about the family and such. Then today, she was hardly even able to open her mouth to be fed.

Has anyone experienced symptoms such as this? She has been diagnosed with dementia (possibly Lewy's Body) and Parkinson's.

I realize this is just a part of the disease but it's very unsettling. One of these times I'm afraid she's not going to come out of it and will no longer recognize us. Actually, I KNOW that will eventually happen, it's just the "spunk and down-slide" that is so odd.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz