SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

I think I have it now? Thoughts?

cpartist
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are going to hopefully build this house. (We get the final numbers in a few hours. If you hear a big thud, that's me hitting the floor. LOL) It's myself, DH and DD (dear dog). This is not our actual plan but I have been trying to get something workable that fits our needs.

Cooktop will be 36" and yes, hood will be 42". Single wall oven, with microwave above. DD's area will have a garage so we can hide all her stuff behind it. DH now leaves it all on the counter next to sink which drives me nuts. I put the prep sink there so DH can use it when he makes DD's food, and when he fills his coffee pot. Plus it's on the same span as my cooktop so I don't have to carry cut up food across the aisle.

Then we'll have a built in fridge (DD eats raw so food is in fridge) and next to that a 24" cabinet I call the coffee cabinet. Inside will be DH's coffee maker (I rarely drink coffee), all the mugs, his k cups, sugars, toaster oven, etc. It will also have spoons and knives for him. :) Plus all his bar stuff for his occasional martinis and/or glasses of wine. Again so when he's done he just has to close the cabinet and the mess is gone until I get around to wiping up the crumbs.

Then a 24" wide pantry which is plenty for us since most nights we walk into town to eat, and then the broom closet.

Cabinets will be 42" high with 18" glass cabinets on top.

What was bothering me about the original idea of having just the 3 high windows was then I couldn't have the cabinets go up to the ceiling on the window wall where the cooktop was. (Full plan shown) I can't stand the idea of dirt and grease on top of cabinets so I prefer when they go to the ceiling. Plus I felt that I needed more light coming into the kitchen.

In the full plan shown, to the right of the pantry was going to be a built in china cabinet. In plan b, I lose the china cabinet but would gain a broom closet.

The logistics in terms of how wide the island will be, aisle width etc still need to be determined. I'm not concerned because the KD was telling me how I needed aisles that were a minimum of 42" but that 48" are better. :) I just sent her off this new plan with the windows today.

The windows would be 54" long windows on either side of the cooktop.

So what are your thoughts? Does it work? How do you think it will look in the dining area? Obviously I need to get cabinets decided on and then make sure that my stuff fits where I need it to go.

Comments (38)

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

Will cleanup on the island, combined with seating be visually problematic for you: dishes & pots & pans, etc., waiting to be washed/put in DW while folks are sitting at island. or even at dining table?

cpartist thanked Carrie B
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nah. I tend to clean as I go and then I'm also planning on getting a farmhouse sink. Those sinks can hide a lot. :) Also the majority of my entertaining will wind up being outdoors as this house is in SW FL. I doubt I'll have many, if any sit down dinners. Except of course for DH and myself.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I like the two windows (one on either side of range) but what do you plan to have for the coffee/pantry area? You have such great living room features/built-ins....and the glass above the upper cabinets. Anything 'special' planned for these areas facing the living room?

cpartist thanked Lavender Lass
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you LL

I like the two windows (one on either side of range) but what do you plan to have for the coffee/pantry area? You have such great living room features/built-ins....and the glass above the upper cabinets. Anything 'special' planned for these areas facing the living room?

Um, uh, pretty white cabinets??? That's the tradeoff. Before I was going to have the cabinet next to the pantry be a glass cabinet 30" wide. However by moving everything down like I did, it really doesn't allow me enough space to put in a 30" wide or even a 24" wide cabinet. Right now the distance from the pantry to the door is 6' I think. Maybe I can do it?

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Would 4' be enough space to enter from the back hall and not feel like it's squashed? I could then put a 24" wide glass cabinet there? I'd lose the broom closet, but I have other areas I could add a broom closet.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Maybe something like this? Just a suggestion....if you don't like it, ignore it! LOL

And have this in dog and coffee area, with prep sink at end (ignore rest of picture).....

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

I'll add comments about kitchen later (bad, fuzzy brain day) but the one thing that popped out at me is the "Hers" closet location. I'm assuming the plan is to keep the pocket door closed for privacy but if your DH is like my DH who often forgets to close the bedroom door behind him when I'm not dressed yet, I think it would be nice if you had direct access to the Hers closet from the MBTH. Or is this one of the parts of the plan you're trying to correct?

Fingers crossed that any thudding is minimal and has a soft landing.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks LL. I didn't want the coffee station to be with garage doors like that. I have it now and DH complains the coffee machine doesn't fit under the cabinets. Definitely can show it to the KD and maybe she can come up with a way for it to work, but the idea was to have a full pantry cabinet so DH could keep it like he likes. I could still have glass cabinets above though? I do like that look.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lisa where's your reveal? It's the end of the month!!!! LOL

" I'm assuming the plan is to keep the pocket door closed for privacy but if your DH is like my DH who often forgets to close the bedroom door behind him when I'm not dressed yet, I think it would be nice if you had direct access to the Hers closet from the MBTH. Or is this one of the parts of the plan you're trying to correct?

Fingers crossed that any thudding is minimal and has a soft landing."

99% of the time it will just be DH and myself so I'm not worried about it being closed. The few times we do have company, I'm lucky that DH is good about remembering to close doors so I don't put on a show. In fact, he's better at it than I am. LOL.

As for direct access from the bathroom, it is something I personally did not want. However even if I did, I cannot even add one inch more of space to the house because of zoning restrictions. I'm at my absolute limit.

I'm hoping I can add a small bench in my closet for getting dressed but we'll see.

And I'm still waiting for the pricing.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

ha, I knew someone would give me grief about my delayed review. Trust me, I'm so ready to post it but we're still waiting on drapery rods. They were supposed to arrive the end of last week. I suppose I could just nail the drapes up and call it good....

Glad your plan is going to work so well for you. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing your progress and then your reveal pics. I hope you don't make us wait nearly as long as I've made you all wait, lol.

cpartist thanked lisa_a
  • ImWithJoe
    8 years ago

i drool over the dog and coffee area!

cpartist thanked ImWithJoe
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Autumn, I'm not ditching the windows but adding more light with the two windows. First is what I was originally thinking with 3 windows. They would be 3 windows above the cabinets.

It's the 3 windows on the left side under the gable.

Now here is a not quite to scale version of what I'm thinking with the two windows instead. The two windows will let in a lot more light which is why I am making the change.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I like it. I think I like Lavender's idea a tad better because it puts coffee making nearer the sink. But it also puts the dog stuff closer and maybe you don't want that so close? I know I wouldn't. I also think the fridge needs to be a bit closer to the prep area. How about something like this? Sorry, my cut and paste skills suck but, hopefully this gives you the idea. If you don't have the width for this much, you could nix the separate pantry and combine pantry with DOG cabinet.

Or even narrow it up more like this

Although maybe Coffee & Dog are too narrow now? Oh, well, you can play with the widths, right?

I drool over your home, the huge patio and pool. Quite frankly, I would never be inside. I'd put all my money into the outdoor living, make a great outdoor kitchen and add a cabana. Who needs a house? :)

cpartist thanked funkycamper
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention, I love the narrow windows flanking the range. It would bug me not to be able to look outside. And, yeah, cabinets to the ceiling!!

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I love the change to add the two tall windows flanking the cooktop! That's going to look so great. Adding natural light and no cleaning above cabs? Win-Win.

Since your cooktop is going to be such a focal point with the windows, I like that it's perfectly centered now on the wall. That was the one tiny thing that bugged me with the first plan was the cooktop not being centered. But now that you bumped everything down and moved the prep sink to the fridge side, everything is looking so much better to me. Yet it still keeps the flow you wanted. Love it Cp!

I'd skip the sideways broom closet though. I think the 18" uppers in glass above the equal sized coffee and pantry cabs will look really nice from the living room. I am just not sure how the broom closet would tie in with them. Plus it is encroaching into you dining room pretty far now, so the broom closet is pushing it. But thumbs up from me on everything else!

Btw, the outside elevation drawing looks awesome!!!

cpartist thanked rebunky
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Funky. The reason I have everything in the order I do is because DD eats RAW. Meaning she eats uncooked raw food which is stored in the refrigerator. Added to her food are vitamins, water, and some other things. I purposely put the dog area near the prep sink so after DD is finished eating, DH can pick up the bowl, and clean it in the prep sink and leave it out for me to put away in the DD garage. That's why I want to keep the order of DD on left and coffee on right. Yes, DH has a coffee pot that needs to be filled but it doesn't need to be filled daily.

Thanks also on the windows. It was bugging me too, especially since the only other windows that would let in enough light were the sliding doors on the dining side.

As for the refrigerator being closer to the prep area? It's only about 54" away from the corner in my version. :)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you rebunky. :) I think you're right about the broom closet.

What about making a 24" glass cabinet instead of the 36" cabinet I had thought I wanted?

If I put a 24" glass cabinet, it would give me 48" between the doorway and the end of the cabinet.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Oh, makes sense about the dog food now. I should have known. Every step of the way, you have shown how thoughtful your planning has been. I shouldn't have second-guessed you.

cpartist thanked funkycamper
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

So are you saying you'd lose the 24" pantry, but do a 24" glass hutch style cabinet next to the coffee cab instead? Do you have any inspiration pictures of that? I'm just not able to visualize what that would look like.

Hey, I just remembered that drop dead gorgeous craftsman buffet you designed, so where is that going now?

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Funky. I try and think it all out, but honestly, I am able to because of everything I've learned here on this forum. :)

So are you saying you'd lose the 24" pantry, but do a 24" glass hutch style cabinet next to the coffee cab instead? Do you have any inspiration pictures of that? I'm just not able to visualize what that would look like.

No! LOL. I'm saying that next to the pantry, I'd put a 24" glass cabinet. Right now I have 72" between the pantry (minus the broom closet) and the door to the study. I am wondering if I put in a 24" glass cabinet, 1. if it will look good and 2. if there will be enough room between the door entry and the cabinet? The space would be 48".

Hey, I just remembered that drop dead gorgeous craftsman buffet you designed, so where is that going now?

Thank you. It will either go behind one of the couches if I set up the living room that way or more likely it will go under the front windows in the living room.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is what I'm thinking of in terms of a glass

cabinet. Your thoughts?

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Hmmm, I'm not sure! What about if it was a corner glass cab instead?

cpartist thanked rebunky
  • amg765
    8 years ago

What about leaving the original broom closet/cabinet, making it deeper so it doesn't look awkward next to the pantry and having the top be glass. The brooms don't need more than 5'

I'm confused as to how the coffee cabinet would work. Will there be a thicker shelf at counter height? Depending on the type of coffee maker I might worry about steam on the inside of the cabinets. I know I have to pull my electric kettle to the front of the counter before using it or the bottom of the cabinet gets slightly damp.

If your husband objects to the appliance garage only because his coffee maker doesn't fit, you could have one made like in LL's picture but custom height and depth so it DOES fit. The coffee maker could go on a pullout shelf so it slides out easily for use.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Gotcha. My windows flank the range. Be sure they are sized as you want them for full view. Mine are a little too short and I can see OUT but I can't see the ground. It's...annoying (but dh is tall so he can see everything - too bad he is not the cook). I am sure you will have that all together but I thought I'd mention it because you are making a change.

There was some fear the windows as we had planned would be too low as in below the counter so we shortened a foot to be safe than sorry when we should have just done 6". Anyhow throwing that out FWIW, lesson learned over here.

cpartist thanked autumn.4
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks rebunky,

Hmmm, I'm not sure! What about if it was a corner glass cab instead?

Um, do you have an example of what you mean? I'm not sure I understand in terms of a corner cabinet?

Thank you fishcow.

What about leaving the original broom closet/cabinet, making it deeper so it doesn't look awkward next to the pantry and having the top be glass. The brooms don't need more than 5'

I'd be afraid that it would be too "heavy" looking with three cabinets that are solid like that.

I'm confused as to how the coffee cabinet would work. Will there be a thicker shelf at counter height? Depending on the type of coffee maker I might worry about steam on the inside of the cabinets. I know I have to pull my electric kettle to the front of the counter before using it or the bottom of the cabinet gets slightly damp.

It would be a pantry cabinet with a shelf inside at counter height, pull out drawers below and then shelving above at different heights. DH has a keurig so really not an issue with steam inside.

If your husband objects to the appliance garage only because his coffee maker doesn't fit, you could have one made like in LL's picture but custom height and depth so it DOES fit. The coffee maker could go on a pullout shelf so it slides out easily for use.

DH has already let me know he doesn't want a pullout shelf. It was my original thought. :)

Thank you autumn. Actually I didn't consider being able to look down, but now that you mention it, I will make sure that I have the windows low enough so I can look out. I'm only 5'3" so it would be an issue to me.

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

I thought the garage was set-back before... that would allow the needed window on that wall that is now shared with the garage... just sayin'.

:)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The garage was set back when the front of the house was the same side as the garage. However to keep the square footage within zoning allowances we had to move the front door to the other street, and doing so move the garage forward to get all the square footage into the house. There's a huge thread in the building a house forum that explains it all and shows all the different variations we went through. If we now move the garage back, we will have to lose some square footage somewhere and will have to push the study back.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So to relieve some personal stress today, instead of working, I decided to play with the layout some more, even though I'm supposed to get a plan from the KD.

All cabinets are 42" high with 18" glass cabinets above that. Inside the glass cabinets I'll put anything that is just for show. I'm hoping to paint the inside a bold color too for some punch.

Yes I know that 42" between table and counter is narrow but we have that in our condo now and while not ideal, it's still doable. I would rather have the extra space in the work area as I expect when we entertain, mostly we'll be using the living room and the outdoors. The space listed between aisles is taking into account an 1 1/2" overhang.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is not having lots of uppers next to my cooktop or lots of uppers at all. I'm so used to having everything above me and reaching up. I can't decide at my height 5'3" if I'm actually going to be better off reaching into drawers for my dishes, etc. My glassware will still go in an upper.

I really need to figure out what will go where. So far I haven't been able to wrap my head around all that.

I am planning on having a disposal at both sinks and figure after prepping it's not a big deal to turn around and dump everything in the trash on the island.

The 13" pullout next to the sink will be for soaps, sponges, etc as well as having a paper towel dispenser. I'll probably add a second dispenser somewhere near the prep sink.

Cabinet next to pantry will be all glass upper.

Regarding the corner upper cabinet, do you think that could hold the glasses? And if so, would you make the doors glass?

The base corner cabinet will actually be all drawers.

In actuality if i can figure out what to put where, I probably have more cabinet space than I could possibly need. Yes I know that's hard to believe but even in my smaller kitchen now, I don't think I use all the drawers. In fact if it wasn't for DH and him keeping the dog's mess out by the sink, I might not have even bothered with a prep sink. I probably would have been fine without one.

All thoughts and comments welcome.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Re: Corner cabinet....Well I tried to find a good picture, but everything I found was more of a vintage or country style. I did find this one which isn't exactly right either, but sort of gives you the idea of what I meant.

I guess my thought was ending that run with the two tall pantry cabinets somehow without breaking the flow of the 18" glass uppers.

It also seemed like it needed a more defined ending to the kitchen since it is going further into the dining area now. I realize it is an open floorplan, but I still think the rooms need to be more defined somehow if that makes sense.

My main concern though was with the 24" cabinet extending behind the table, it may feel a little bit cramped being a main walkway. I was imagining coming in from the garage with groceries bags. Or if people were seated on the ends and you wanted to get into the cabinet. Idk, what do you think?

When do you get the KD drawings and elevation views? I'm so excited to see them!

cpartist thanked rebunky
  • autumn.4
    8 years ago

I am 5'7 - and I cannot see the ground. Major dismay since I initially wanted the windows down to the counter like the pic below (sometimes GC'ing your own build has it's disadvantages). DH is 6'3". He can pretty much see it all.

cp if you can list out what you currently have in uppers near the range then see where it would be natural to grab them without uppers and jot it down and then look at your layout and see once where you can put the puzzle pieces in (ahem Lisa_a where are you with your reveal-sorry puzzle makes me think Lisa_a)? I went through a lot of graph paper rearranging my stuff once I had the layout finalized.

You have a nice 36 and 40" drawer stack flanking - that is a lot of space! All of my everyday dishes including glasses are in one 30" x 54" cabinet opposite the DW and the top shelf holds a couple serving bowls. We don't go to the ceiling but the cabinet instead goes down to the counter.

rebunky I think I know what you mean so that last cabinet is angled and ends the kitchen but welcomes the dining room by it's position?

CP - look at this space, the corner is not a 90 degree but it reminds me of what you have going on around the range part.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Cpart- I know you can move the table closer to the windows....but 42" with chair and stools sliding out is going to push people into your work area. A wider walkway on the 'helper' side of the island might be a good idea :)

• omelet
    8 years ago

If you don't need the storage space have you considered not putting any additional cabinets to the right of the pantry but using that wall for art, a collection or a dramatic piece? Some people might be intimidated with that design choice but you certainly have the talent for it.

I really like the two windows by your range, from the light they'll let inside as well as your new elevation.

cpartist thanked omelet
  • mrspete
    8 years ago

I like the kitchen ... but not the dining area.

The kitchen is simple and functional. You have your storage near the entrance and everything else laid out in a logical manner. I do like Lavender's flip-flop of the refrigerator.

I don't see any mention of a microwave. Since you say you eat out frequently, I'm guessing that you'd have leftovers to warm up.

Since you say you're not a serious cook, why go with a larger-than-standard cooktop and range hood?

Instead of the glass cabinet, what if you use a narrowish china buffet? That is, a furniture piece instead of something built-in. It'd give a break from the cabinets -- a break from the white cabinets?

I also like the upper corner glass-front cabinet Autumn posted above. I'd want a (hidden) lazy susan to make it easy to reach the items in the cabinet, but then I'm not quite 5' tall.

Now, the dining area:

With the sliding glass door on one side and the island/stools flanking the table, it seems too crowded. I'd either lose the door and go with windows (which would allow the table to scoot closer to the wall) or lose the barstools (which don't seem to have much of a point, given that the table's right there). Or, given that only two people will live in this house, how about downsizing to two barstools and placing them on the end of the island where the dishwasher is placed?

cpartist thanked mrspete
  • amg765
    8 years ago

Maybe this got asked already, but what is the distance between the DW corner of the island and that post at the entrance to the living room? That looks like it could be a pinch point.

i think if you get big, chair-like bar stools the space between the table and island will be crowded, but if you do backless ones that tuck under the overhang when not in use it will be fine. It's not like people are going to be using both sets of seats at the same time.

cpartist thanked amg765
  • autumn.4
    8 years ago

Did you ever see Bellsmom's retrofit susans in a diagonal cabinet?

That is always an option if you want to break it up.

42" from island counter to table is pretty tight. Have you mocked that up?

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I knew I could count on you guys!

Thanks Rebunky.

I'm thinking I might ditch the idea of a cabinet there completely the more I think about it?

When do you get the KD drawings and elevation views? I'm so excited to see them!

So am I! Well she was working on them but then I just hit them up Monday with the idea of putting the two windows in instead of the three high windows, so my guess is she's gone back to the drawing board a bit. Plus I know she just finished my fireplace wall. Haven't seen it yet, though.

Thanks Autumn.

CP - look at this space, the corner is not a 90 degree but it reminds me of what you have going on around the range part.

I really like that space, including the narrow cabinets attached to the hood. I had considered doing something like that and moving the windows out a bit more, but wasn't sure how it would look. I think something like that might work and will see if I can mock it up.

Thank you fishcow, mrspete, LL and Omelet.

Cpart- I know you can move the table closer to the windows....but 42" with chair and stools sliding out is going to push people into your work area. A wider walkway on the 'helper' side of the island might be a good idea :)

i think if you get big, chair-like bar stools the space between the table and island will be crowded, but if you do backless ones that tuck under the overhang when not in use it will be fine. It's not like people are going to be using both sets of seats at the same time.42" from island counter to table is pretty tight. Have you mocked that up?

I'm answering all the above at once. LOL. Including Mrspete's comments about the narrowness. :)

In answer to if I mocked it up, no I haven't because I actually have the same amount of space (actually a bit less to be honest) between my bar area and dining table in my condo now, so I know exactly how tight the space is. Is it ideal? Nope and if I ever need to have a sit down dinner, I can move the dining table further towards the sliding doors. Yes it would be tight for the people sitting on that side of the table, but they'll be sitting. And since the last time I had a sit down dinner for more than DH, myself and one visiting child was about 4 years ago, I doubt there's much worry about all that. LOL.

Additionally as fishcow mentioned, I'm not planning on getting big type chairs for my bar area. The stools I have now have a small back but they still fit under the counter and I'm planning on something like that as I don't like "in your face" barstools. Plus if they are able to be pushed underneath, then people can stand there if they don't want to sit.

To answer Mrspete's question DH likes to eat breakfast at the counter and when I do prepare dinner once in a blue moon, he likes to sit there chatting with me.

I don't see any mention of a microwave. Since you say you eat out frequently, I'm guessing that you'd have leftovers to warm up.

The microwave will be on a shelf above the oven. :) No leftovers to heat up as I normally order appetizers when I eat out. Otherwise I'd weigh 2000 pounds. LOL. However we do use a microwave occasionally.

Since you say you're not a serious cook, why go with a larger-than-standard cooktop and range hood?

No, I said I didn't cook often. When I do cook, I am serious about cooking and cook only from scratch. No canned sauces or soups for us. No microwave dinners, etc. Only fresh and real ingredients. Additionally, most of my cooking is done on a cooktop and not the oven. I do a lot of sauteing, making soups, sauces, pasta, rice, etc.

Conversely, since I rarely use my oven, I'm going for a fairly basic oven.

Instead of the glass cabinet, what if you use a narrowish china buffet? That is, a furniture piece instead of something built-in. It'd give a break from the cabinets -- a break from the white cabinets?

My island will be cherry wood to break up the white. Plus my dining table and chairs are cherry. I also have the buffet already that is going to wind up in the living room. I may just leave off the china cabinet all together as I'm not sure I need the extra storage.

Maybe this got asked already, but what is the distance between the DW corner of the island and that post at the entrance to the living room? That looks like it could be a pinch point.

I think you're correct fishcow. It looks like I may have to shorten my island by about a 6-8" which is still a nice sized island. I noticed that myself tonight when I was looking at it.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Yeah, ditch that last cabinet if you don't need. :-)

You will most likely have those sliding doors open all the time (hello Florida weather) I think the issue of the table chair being to close to the stools is not going to be a real issue, since you will most likely end up pushing your table a little closer to the sliding door wall I suspect,

I agree that shortening the island is a good idea. I saw that pinch point too, but knew you had those flanking craftsmen cabinets designed perfectly to separate the great room to kitchen/dining. Moving the island further out would make it that much closer to the table, so that wasn't good. Shortening the island does seem like the best option. Maybe the trash p/o can be smaller and then add a second small one on the perimeter somewhere too? Or maybe loose that smaller pull out?

Oh please show us that fireplace wall elevation along with the kitchen when you get it from the designer. Tell her, hurry up! All your GW friends are tapping there fingers waiting!

cpartist thanked rebunky