SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Red-Spotted Purple Caterpillar & Hibernaculum

MissSherry
8 years ago

An early instar red-spotted purple caterpillar has already made its hibernaculum on a cherry tree with low branches. There are also two more eggs on the ends of leaves (what's left of them) on this little tree. Wild black cherry always loses its leaves early. I would have brought in this cat to raise myself, but RSPs and viceroys come out of their little 'homes' during the winter on warm days and chew on leaves remaining on the tree - I wouldn't be able to provide the new growth they nibble on in spring, so I thought it'd be better to leaves it alone for now, in case it wants to go into the hibernaculum and stay there until spring. If this little one outgrows its hibernaculum, I'll be interested to see if it makes another, bigger one or what. I've never seen a cat beyond this very small size in one, so maybe I'll bring it in to raise once I know it's done with it - there are some pretty decent looking cherry leaves in woods around the corner, much better than the ones on the tree the cat is on now. Here's a picture of the caterpillar, with the hibernaculum made in the lower leaf -

I've been releasing my monarchs, about equal numbers of males and females - there are still a few chrysalides left. I'm trying to root some A. lanceolata and A. viridiflora, and, knock on wood, three of the A. lanceolatas and two of the other look like they're taking - the A. lanceolatas have made a decent amount of new growth already. Let's hope they're really rooting and not just growing from old energy and die back. I'd love to have both types growing here - once I get a few plants rooted, then I'd likely get seed pods, or there would be more branches to cut and root again.

I released a gulf frit yesterday, and I'm still feeding one last caterpillar, so that's winding down.

The promethea moth cats are thriving and growing.

And the question mark cats have nearly all made their chrysalides, just a few are still eating.

Sherry

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus