SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcarroll184

Speed Queen washer - spin issue?

ken c
8 years ago

Our Fisher and Paykel GWL11 has finally given up the ghost after 11 years. Well, I did have to replace a diverter valve a couple years ago, but now it looks like the control board has lost its mind.

So, spent several days researching - found out how little Consumer Reports ratings match up with peoples real world experience and ended up buying a Speed Queen with electronic display - the "82" model despite Consumer reports saying it's cr@p. Well, they said the F&P was crap too, but my wife loved it..

My wife doesn't like the fact that the unit will not fill while the lid is open, that's how she used to add the detergent in the FP. While the FP filled with water she would add the detergent intto the water and flush out the detergent cup in the fill water stream - worked a charm. Now she has to go back and forth to the laundry room sink - think I will have to find and defeat the lid open switch, anyone done that yet?

Oh, obviously we are NOT using the normal/eco mode!

Second thing is the three water levels - small is small, but both medium and large are very large! I wonder why SQ didn't divide them more equally?

The big issue though is that the spin leaves the clothes quite wet - at least relative to the FP. I know the SQ spins at 710, I don't know what the FP span at but is this normal? Is my unit behaving correctly? It's hard to give a definitve % of water removed via the spin but they definitely feel wet vs the GWL11.

Happy with the wash (it actually uses water - gasp!). It cleans the clothes, and it's fast, but the spin is a little disappointing, please advise Speed Queen fans.

Cheers!

Comments (21)