SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robbie_gillette

Would appreciate help with house plans

Robbie Gillette
8 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to help out. My hubby and I are preparing to build house # 2. For our first house we bought stock plans from a magazine - think pre Houzz, Pinterest - even decent internet!! Our plans had stairs that poked into the great room from the entryway. It was a disaster so we did some modifications.... Long story short I ended up hating every modification we made. So no stock plans this time - but because all the issues we had in our previous home were my fault I'm second guessing every design decision. So after 5 pus years of designing and pouring over literally 1000's of plans, walking thru every home under construction and Parade of Home in our area - this is what we've come up with.

We are building a 2800 - 2900 square foot house. We own a 1/2 acre lot and have a considerable amount of cash to put down and hold in reserve. Our budget is 350k - 375k. We will be the general contractors again and this will be my full time job.

We are empty nesters with 3 grown daughters who all live nearby and rarely have out of town guests. I am ready for my 2nd hip replacement and do not want to have to deal with any stairs this time around. Hallways are wide to accommodate a walker, etc. I haven't added in the wall depth yet so made hallways extra wide to get a rough idea of what rooms would look like. We are planning on a main level hearth room in addition to a great room and this will be where we watch tv, etc. Three bedrooms - master, a snore room and a hobby / office. Over sized laundry for sewing machine as I am an avid quilter.

We aren't hoarders, but we both have accumulated items over the years that we don't want to part with - so the garage will be 24 X 30 with room for shelves to store decorations and a separate workroom for hubby. I am going to interview 2 draftsmen this next week as we sold our previous home and are ready to go.

Thanks again for your input.

Comments (13)