SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhousenyc

Brilliant Space Planners: What would you do with this Layout?

oldhousenyc
8 years ago

Hi Everyone,

First, a thank you - I've lurked, learned, and laughed with you all for over a year in the "just dreaming" stage of our kitchen planning, and continue to be be amazed by the expertise so generously shared here. To Buehl, LWO, Lavender, Sophie, Joseph, Kompy, IglooChic, RococoGurl, Marcolo, Boxerpups, Fori, NYCBlueDevil- to name just a few - I am so grateful for your shared experience and insightful advice.

We're a family of 2 adults, finally ready to begin translating ideas to paper and budget. Our home is a 1920's Tudor Revival cottage near NYC and we plan to stay another 15 yrs or more - possibly our forever home. The kitchen is a tiny galley that can't be expanded in footprint - our goal is to maximize utility and enjoyment of the space with optimized layout and improved (accessible! drawers!) storage, services upgraded to current needs and standards, and aesthetics that reflect our style while also respecting the spirit of the house.

My drafting skills are not great, but I took a crack at drawing the current space and adjacent areas for feedback. The tight passage between the kitchen and LR (choice of through narrow dark hall or narrow opening to DR) is a significant "pinch point" in an otherwise very open layout - we're open to modifying or taking down (with structural work) the wall separating the hall and DR to ease the bottleneck, but at a loss on how to better utilize the area ("pony wall" buffet/storage? Shallow pantry area between wall studs?). We've also toyed with the idea of adding more windows in the corner where fridge is now for more light and sense of spaciousness.

For appliances, we're planning a 27"-30" fully integrated refrig/freezer (limited options due to 85" ceiling height), 30" DF range (stretch goal - 39+" Volnay), and 24" integrated DW. We desperately need effective venting - no clearance to route through roof or ceiling so must go through soffit/upper cabs to back wall unless range is flipped to the exterior side.

Before we get too far into the details, we're open to all possibilities within the constraints on footprint, vent access, and ceiling height. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert