SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mongeyweiss

need advice re Lacanche Cluny

mongey
8 years ago

Hi all. In 2005, we redid our San Francisco 1883 Victorian kitchen and bought a gas/electric Lacanche Cluny. I prioritized the vintage look over reliability/service and that was key to my decision. I don't really regret my choice too much, because the range has worked pretty well and looks beautiful. BUT we have had a lot of reliability problems over the past 10 years with the gas burners, especially with the front right 15000+ BTU burner's electronic ignition (have had service people out to repair it a half dozen times at least). The other burners' electronic ignition have gone out periodically as well. We have also had trouble with the electric convection oven, whose broiler has broken on several occasions.

Now I am restoring an 1884 Victorian on the north coast of California and face a similar range choice. I need something with a vintage look -- like a Lacanche or an Ilve Majestic or a Cornufe 90 -- and am also concerned about reliability and budget. I am even more concerned about reliability than I was for our SF house because this north coast house is far out of the way and service calls will be tougher to schedule.

I am wondering about other Lacanche owners and whether you have had my reliability problems, and whether you would now choose a different range than Lacanche a second time. I also want to hear from Ilve Majestic and Cornufe owners about their experience with the reliability of their ranges. And is there another range out there with vintage looks and a better record for reliability?

Thanks all.

Comment (1)