SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

"I hate old things."

That was said on house hunters a few weeks ago. The wife was a spoiled brat type who would not look at any house pre-1970 . She said all old things gave her the creeps. And she didn't want her house to be haunted.

I guess ghosts don't exist after 1970? Is that the haunted cut off date?

They bought a house from 1920, because it had been completely renovated :/

Do people realize how stupid they sound on these shows sometimes?

Comments (9)

• Jmc101 z5
    8 years ago

It's acting and only as good as the script. My question is why people watch HGTV. I gave up on it when they quit showing the G in the programming.

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I watch house hunters only.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

I hate to tell her, but a house from 1970 is 45 years old, that's not exactly new. The show is very scripted and they already own or are ready to close on one of the houses when the show is taped.

When the show was first on, there was a lot of

Agent: this is the Living Room

Buyer: Okay

A: this is the kitchen

B: yeah

A: this is the master bath

B: Uh huh.

I think they decided it was more interesting if they made the buyers complain about everything.

• bungalowmo
    8 years ago

"Someday she will be an "old thing". "

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Al !!

• sandiocd
    8 years ago
    I don't think I could ever live in a new build. I could not afford to build something of the quality of my beautiful Edwardian! She has spoiled me to expect fine original hardwood, 11ft ceilings, deep baseboards and intricate crown molding. There are not ghosts, but the old girl certainly contributes to warm spirits...
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

If you ever have to demo (by hand) part of a pre 1960s building get ready for some pain! The wood is almost all old growth and like steel. Just heft a 2x6 from the late 50s in one hand next to the identical species harvested today. The old saying "they don't build em like they used to" even applies to concrete for pete's sake. They cannot duplicate the quality of materials used from times gone by. Nuff said.

• chookchook2
    8 years ago

That is so true, Rusty. We have broken so may drill bits and one heavy duty drill!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I don't think I could ever live in a new build. I could not afford to build something of the quality of my beautiful Edwardian! She has spoiled me to expect fine original hardwood, 11ft ceilings, deep baseboards and intricate crown molding. There are not ghosts, but the old girl certainly contributes to warm spirits...

Funny I said the same exact thing. I grew up in a 1930's house. My first house was a 1927 craftsman bungalow and my second house was an 1898 Victorian/colonial revival. (It couldn't decide, lol) I loved both those houses and the details they had. The cove ceilings in the craftsman, the original ironing board and subway tile in the kitchen, the crown moldings and staircase in the victorian, the original wood floors in both houses. I could go on and on.

However, I am now past 60 and living part of the year in SW FL. We have looked for the past two years to find an old home down here. Either the house has been completely bast**dized, to the point where any of the old details have been completely removed, or it's been completely remuddeled where it would take more money than it's worth to make right, or the house is way too big or too small, or the house would be a danger to us as we age in terms of steps, etc. So we are building a new "craftsman". My point is never say never. Sigh. :)