SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_384

Need help with furniture placement in living room

Kate S
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

We just moved into our first house and I am having trouble figuring out how to best arrange the furniture in our living room. I want to buy new furniture, starting with the seating, but I can't figure out what arrangement would work best. Below are some pics of our temporary set up (I intend to replace all the furniture - once I figure out what I need to buy!) Note that the room I am concerned with is the one labeled "living room" in the floor plan - we are using the "family room" as a kids playroom for now so the living room is our only family seating area, and it also houses the TV.

The TV is currently between the two windows on the front wall, and I'm not sure there's a better place for it. Since the room is quite big, the couch cannot be backed up to the opposite wall - it's too far away - so it's floating in space. We definitely need to add more seating, bit I can't decide whether a sectional would work here, or if that would look odd in the middle of the room. Another option would be to buy a loveseat, or two armchairs, and place them perpendicular to the couch - that's what I was trying to mock up here with the one armchair and the ottoman. However, all of these arrangements leave a few feet of empty space along the side wall that I have no idea what to do with. Maybe add some built ins?

What type of seating arrangement would you put in this room, if it were yours?

Comments (5)