SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laticauda

Which of my herbs do I need to overwinter and/or collect seed?

laticauda
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I know this is probably pretty late to be asking this, but I have a few herbs growing in my summer garden and I'm a little bit clueless about all of that stuff. My grandmother taught me how to grow stuff, but not herbs! Does anyone have a website that has this information, that would be wonderful?

or maybe a pre-typed FAQ type answer, lol.

I have cinnamon basil (went to seed, of course), Genovese Basil (to seed), "Pesto Perpetuo"; I'll have to dig this one up but I've got 3 or 4 big plants of it that I started from just a few cuttings at the end of spring. As well as the shrubby-tree the original plant turned into. Same story with my lavendar. Stuck some cuttings in some already occupied-by-food-plants' pots. They looked really sad for a long time. It was raining so much and it was quite chilly, I thought for sure they'd just get a fungus and die, but no....now I've got quite a few pretty large lavender plants, bigger than what I bought the parent plant as, for sure!

I also have my rosemary but I'm not sure if it or the lavendar have bloomed. I don't get out that side of the garden very often and I would have to try pretty hard to check, lol!

maybe I should just dig them all up and try to maybe propagate some for the spring to probably donate to a local organic store owner.

I guess I need to know which ones of these DIE after flowering, if any.

oh, and of course I have copious amounts of mint, but I think that stuff is pretty tough, tough enough for here, I'd think! (SIDE NOTE: I mean, right? Anyone correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

I guess I could find a way to overwinter them in the pots they are already in, but can I store them in a garage to something? Or do they need light as well since they may or may not die back in there?

also, NONE OF THESE ARE PIG they are all in some sort of container because that's how I have to grow my garden, mostly fabric pots and reused buckets of varying sizes.

Comments (3)