SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgect

Oxi White Revive...Anyone Try It?

georgect
8 years ago

I saw a TV commercial today for this (is it new?)

There are different formulas.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Comments (31)

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I use it and love how it whitens. Only use powder and not liquid.

georgect thanked maylingsmom
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

If I'm not mistaken..the powder is mostly sodium carbonate, not much of anything good in it.

George why don't you cut to the chase and order pure sodium percarbonate, than you know your not getting a ton of fillers. No worry about a booster causing extra suds, you will use less and its probably more cost effective.

georgect thanked mamapinky0
  • Related Discussions

OxiClean and HE FLs

Q

Comments (11)
    pennc94 wrote: How, may I ask, have you been using Ecover with your FL? That is, when do you add it to the wash? Before? After water is full? I use 1 TBS of the Ecover powdered bleach on my whites to keep them as white as possible. I add the bleach along with the detergent in the detergent compartment. sparky823, the Bi-O-Kleen Premium laundry powder is the best product I've ever used in my Asko. I tried the Bi-O-Kleen dishwashing powder as well. While it does a good enough job cleaning, it is prone to leaving a white powdery residue inside the dishwasher and on some dishes where the water pools and dries (even with rinse-aid). It also lacks enzymes, which is needed for soiled loads. Instead, I am using Ecover Dishwashing Tabs which were rated #3 by Consumer Reports against all other commercial brands -- for an eco product, that is a huge accomplishment. I have no complaints about the Ecover Dishwashing Tabs, except that tabs are a "one size fits all" solution which I'm not very comfortable with. I've been splitting one tab between the pre-rinse and main wash cycles, which has been working out just fine. I may try the Ecover Dishwashing Powder for finer dosing, although it didn't rate as highly as the tabs.
    ...See More

OxiClean Detergent Paks....BEWARE!!

Q

Comments (24)
    Oxiclean cannot bleach your clothes. it's more likely that you set the garments on a bleachy spot in your laundry room, or a cloth with bleach was washed in the same load, or you had some bleach on your hands from handling a bottle of bleach. and if your walls have streaks from splashing oxiclean on it, the wall covering may have natural dyes; oxiclean reacts with organic stains, which includes organic dyes in clothing, carpets and walls. the active cleaning mechanism in oxiclean is completely different from bleach. the label indicates that it should not be used on silk or leather, but you should not be putting silk or leather in a washing machine anyway. i've used the packs in top-loading, front-loading and He machines for 15 years and never had a single issue with stains or streaks. And that may mean nothing to you, and you'd be right, because I'm using a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence. Just like you are. [except my argument is actually backed up by compelling evidence; the scientific facts of the product]
    ...See More

Oxi White Revive free with rebate at Walgreens.

Q

Comments (0)
    For those who want to give it a try. 20 load size.
    ...See More

Anyone try the Arm & Hammer liquid with Oxi?

Q

Comments (26)
    Not so FAST my little chick..yes I'm talking to you El...try the A&H powder pods...Larsi set me on the trail of these awhile back and they smell amazing..like good old fashioned clean detergent. ..they do a very nice job on whites. Joel...have you tried the A&Hpowder pods, oh what the hell are they called...I can't remember LOL.. they smell great, nothing like A &H'ers other products. You know one of the hardest scents to get rid of is dog urine..well my tiny little lil uses the disposable potty pads, but I use washable pads under them just to be on the safe side do to leaks, I wash them weekly at the laundramat using 2 of these pods..all traces of urine is gone and the pads smell terrific. no they are not the best detergent out there but they are good..
    ...See More
  • georgect
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK, Mama. I will.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

George....Listen to Mama!! I ordered 99% pure sodium percarbonate on Amazon. $10 for two pounds. Arriving Thursday!! :)

georgect thanked larsi_gw
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Lmao@ George...OK, Mama. I will.....such good manners..haha

Omg Larsi your gonna love the sodium percarbonate.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

I could be very wrong, but I think the "White Revive" has Enzymes added into it. :-)

georgect thanked Laundry Mich
  • miami mami
    8 years ago

Mitch-the liquid white revive det does contain enzymes, but no whitening agents that I recall, which means it's going to need boosters and additives to actually whiten. The reason I picked it up was it smells really really good, very clean, I really like it, and my grocery was having a great sale on it, a BOGO free which I added coupons to. I think I got both huge bottles for $3. I use it on different things, mostly towels. I had pretty decent results with it on whites with oxi booster added plus a 2 hour hot water soak, 18 min wash. The stuff suds up quite a bit even though it says HE.

• miami mami
    8 years ago

Kind of deceiving to call it "white revive" I think.

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

mama - you really have something against oxi products, don't you? You constantly slam it. Why is that?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

May, I use powder detergent which contains sodium carbonate, most oxi boosters are loaded with sodium carbonate. .it overdoses my clothes and they feel harsh, dry...sodium carbonate can be a pain to rinse out if too much is used..and I don't need to use it if its in my powder detergent. ..wouldn't be such a problem if I used liquid detergent. if I buy a oxy booster its because I want the oxy...otherwise I could save a ton of money and buy a box of washing soda. In the future Bea I will be sure to be careful how I word my love/ hate to washing soda...but I'm sorry if my dislike of it upset you.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I'm also sorry for assuming that others buy Oxy products for the oxy.

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

It bothers me when people put down a product another person uses and they don't have a clue why that person uses it. That is all. It's not a personal thing against you.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

May, I'm sorry, I should not have assumed someone was buying a product labeled oxy for the oxy, your right I don't have a clue, I'm sorry May if I offended you.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Maylingsmom: I totally agree. The post about Paw using the Sun detergents really got to me. He even went and bought other higher price detergent after that.

Then when I told about the Oxi that had clogged the pump and also I used it in a steam carpet cleaner and had to dissolve it and then strain it before adding to the steamer tank, y'all treated that like it was a big lie. You started filling up jars trying to prove me wrong. Maybe you did Mitch with the Oxi Clean but that happened to be the brand I was using in the steamer. Bought it at Sams in a big box and it all didn't dissolve. Maybe it has been improved since??? I must say though, I can half way see where you wanted to do the test yourself, but things like that really gets to people.

I'm not trying to hurt no one's feelings, just telling you as Maylingsmom did. I thought the purpose of these forums was to compare things and give tips, not low rate about what someone uses.

And 1 more thing I have wanted to say but stayed quiet because I knew I would be racked over the coals about it--The ones of you that have FL that dispense the bleach in the first rinse/cold water. That is because it does better in cold water. Bleach dies faster in hot than cold. I am no chemist but I know this. Also if you will google bleach and hot/cold water you will see the meat packing houses are not allowed to use hot water when cleaning because the bleach dies too fast so that is not allowed. I wash in Hot/warm and cold so I'm not a strict cold water user--just colors. My clothes don't stink and aren't stained.

Hope you understand how I feel. And I'm not trying to be a horses tail either.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sparky, I was joking with Paw, sorta, in a joking way telling him Sun...well never mind..I hope Paw knew I was joking, I will have to go back to reread what I wrote directly after .dont talk as if Paw doesnt know what hes doing and was led..but you know what..have you never boughta different detergent after hearing good reviews from someone? I have. Also I know no one was thinking you lied about that stuff not disolving..geesh, you said it they wondered if theirs was the same..

All this because I said store bought oxy FOR ME is not what I want..because there's something better without all the fillers IMO ...

Tell me good folks...does this usually happen here? Hasn't Sparky and Maylingsmom been here in this forum for a long time? I did not join here to cause strife, actually if you want the truth I joined because I'm lonely, but I will not be the cause of all of you having issues with each other. Paw I am sorry if you felt you had to buy a different detergent because yes I did put down the Sun..I'm sorry Paw..most of you folks I've enjoyed immensely, but I won't be the cause of problems in this group that got along great.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

I wanna reach out to Sparky, in particular. I was never, ever attempting to bash you. Honestly, I became quite concerned reading your post, and didn't know what to think of it.

I originally did purchase, pure-sodium percarbonate, via Ecover's Natural Bleach box. But.. after they stopped making it, I went to purchasing OxyClean... because, it was well priced ($9 for a huge 11lb box) and... more importantly it was extremely easy for me to locate. I really don't like making purchases online, if I don't have to. Stupid yes... but, I don't like stuff being shipped. I'd rather just go into a magical store, like Target or Safeway and be in & out in 10 minutes with whatever it is.

Try as I may... I'm still working through that Original Box of OxyClean from 2013. I typically don't use more than 1-2 Tablespoons a load. It's wonderful... and even buying the "pure" stuff... I still come out ahead, buying a huge bulk box. And it works for me. I've never had a problem with it... and I get deep rinses from my front loader, not to mention that fact that I have soft water.

So... when you posted your comment, about it not dissolving. I wasn't sure what to think. I'd never seen anything in the sump pump of my washer, but lint and a random penny. So... for the sake of it... I tried dissolving it, and posted a pic for Larsi to see.

I didn't even Boil the water. I just got straight tap water, from the faucet. My Hot Water Heater is set to 150* although, it doesn't ever come that close straight from the tap.

I'd like to apologize though for how I acted. But I want to reiterate, I never wanted to target or call you out in anyway. It was just me, acting in curiosity, and wanting to experiment. Either way, I understand how my actions we're reflected, and they probably did look horrible on my part. And... I hope you'll forgive me. I enjoy reading your posts, and being apart of this wonderful community.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Pink: Maybe I have misunderstood some things and I KNOW you have. I didn't say this because you buy different Oxi. In fact that was my main point. We shouldn't think anything about what others buy. I was talking about May said something about Paw (meaning him I reckon) about the detergent because she said her son was a single Dad and times can be tough sometimes and you might need to get something cheap and she couldn't see putting someone down for that(not exact words) and I agreed.

I didn't write this to run you off. These people rather talk to you than to me anyday--I know that and that doesn't bother me--so don't you go anywhere. This is the most I have been on here in a long time.

Me and you (or at least me for sure) are too old to be fussing about something like this, much less telling the folks here what they need to do. We have kids to do that too and it does no good--LOL.

Sorry about this and hope things are ok now.

You mentioned Lonely---How, with all that washing you have to do and the neighbor lady I don't see how you would have time to spell it, much less be it! LOL

I will tell you how I get around those type feelings. I think that time is passing fast so there is no use in dwelling on(whatever the problem is) because sooner than later(because the time is flying, way faster than when we were young) we will be in a Nursing Home so now is the time of our lives, so don't blink.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Mitch: You are fine.No problem. I did say in my post that I could half understand how everyone wanted to see about the dissolving and I had that huge box also but I finally used it all. So don't worry about it. I shouldn't have said anything. I don't want Pink to be hurt but looks like she is--but I hope not.

Thank You for your kind words!

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

We never know what a person's personal issues are. I never would have shared that about my son except I know there are times that things are hard for many people as they are for him. I saw a person who came for advice on another board who was having money issues and a large family to wash for. The posts aimed at that person really hurt me. I think the original poster eventually deleted the messages but I was ashamed at how people acted because the person said they used Xtra laundry detergent. We should be here to help each other and support each other. Isn't that supposed to be the purpose of the message board?

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

Let me add this about fillers. The fillers are used by detergent companies to make the other ingredients in the detergent work better. Fillers is probably not a good word to use because it apparently has made some people think it is a useless product when it is not.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

@ Sparky...OMG. I am shocked honestly you took some offense with the dissolving Oxi products in water tests we performed. It is because of YOU that we now know of this problem!!! So, I say Thank you Sparky!!

I was really concerned about whole particles not dissolving in my new machine, and that is why I wanted to see how bad it was. Instead of you being upset, as you what you said was NOT being challenged...I would have thought you would be flattered that we all tried what you told us about.

I guess, you just cannot please everyone! :(

@ MamaPinky....I teased paw about the Sun detergent too. I re-read the post, and everyone, including Paw seemed to be in a happy, joking mood!! Mama....you do not need to feel bad. NO ONE was being poked at. It was all in good fun. We are all one happy, sick family!! XO

@ Maylingsmom....No one is being attacked for using any product. This is an advice forum, and the consensus is that Sun Detergent is not good for clothing or machines. We even spoke about how with coupons and store sales, one can get a "better" detergent for very little. You always seem very angry and bitter. This forum is fun, and wonderful and I look forward to checking it daily. I rarely see anything positive or nice from you!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I should add the sodium carbonate in oxy boosters will cause no problem in the long haul if your using a liquid detergent, however if you are a powder user, there's already a fair amount of the stuff in the detergent. Adding more will accomplish what? Excess use of washing soda can and will eat away at fabrics expecially cottons, it can also cause yellow spots from heat if its not rinsed out.

May pointed something out, that detergent companys use fillers for a reason, to make the other ingredients in detergent work...I get that, but this whole thing is I wasn't referring to the sodium carbonate in detergents, I was referring to laundry boosters with added washing soda, that I will say again if using a powder detergent there's no need to add more of the stuff

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

Wow, Larsi. I don't know where this came from " You always seem very angry and bitter. This forum is fun, and wonderful and I look forward to checking it daily. I rarely see anything positive or nice from you!"" It seems this is not the place for me if I am viewed in that way.

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

Please post something of mine that you think is "aggressive"".

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

I should have used the word argumentative maylingsmom, not aggressive. My apologies.

Before anyone gets more upset, or anything else is said foolishly....I am saying auf Wiedersehen to this thread. I'm still on our BELOVED Laundry Forum, but I wash my hands of this conversation.

I want EVERYONE to know, they are respected and I hope EVERYONE stays on this Forum. Including you maylingsmom ;) :)

georgect thanked larsi_gw
  • beaglenc
    8 years ago

Good Morning to all!! It's time to take a chill pill or as my Dad would say, simmer down. It's easy to misunderstand the tone of something in writing. I'm sure NO ONE meant any harm. It saddens me to think that feelings were hurt. We have a lot to offer on here and we have different opinions and experiences of what works best for us.

ALL OF YOU ARE FANTASTIC and add so much to this forum! You have made it sooooo much better than it was before.

Mamapinky, you mean so much, not just to me but all and I have learned from you. So please do not go anywhere!!

georgect thanked beaglenc
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Bea, you said it better than I ever could have..thank you!

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

Once again, I will ask for the exact posts that you all are reading of mine that are causing you an issue. I have no problem with anyone on here. But mama just think for a minute. It seemed every time Oxi came up you questioned the use of it. So I just decided to ask why you felt that way. Maybe, it is just me and I am feeling out of sorts today. Anyway, let me repeat, I need to see the posts and that way I will know what and how I said it so if I decide to post I can avoid whatever it was.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

May I absolutly did make my feelings about oxy with all the added sodium carbonate known, quite a few times..for very good reasons, no denying that. But that's not the real issue here. I think, I could be wrong, but did you feel belittled because of my opinion on the stuff considering you use it? I did not think of it that way, I didn't take into account that its what you like and that you have good results with it. I didn't make sure people understood that with a liquid detergent its fine, and even with a powder some people have good results. I was only trying to express the dangers to fabric with using to much washing soda, I never ment it to sound like a put down. I'm sorry May, maybe I was unsensitive about it. I don't want issues between us. Did you know that your one of the reasons I joined this forum, your not affraid to question people, and you've been helpful. I hope this can be put aside as a misunderstanding, and let it go. I also hope you can accept my apologies if I made you feel bad personally, that was never my attention. In the future even though we both know I will give my opinion on products I hope you know its not aimed personally at you. And I would like for us to be friends, again May I am sorry if my feelings about too much sodium carbonate made you feel personally attacked.

• maylingsmom
    8 years ago

mama- that's exactly it. You say it every time it comes up. After a while it begins to feel like you are looking down on me or as you said belittling me.