SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smart_tea_pantz

Need help identifying a Pomegranate tree -- possibly Parfianka?

Sandy (Zone 9, San Jose, CA)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Two years ago, I bought a "Parfianka" pomegranate tree from Lowes (in San Jose, CA) along with a Wonderful pomegranate tree. I planted them in October 2013, and the Wonderful fruited the very next spring, giving me 9 giant delicious red fruits by November 2014.

I loved how the Wonderful poms tasted last year -- sweet AND tart -- a delicious combination!

This year, my Parfiankas have 12 large fruits! I read that Parfianka is ready by late summer, and the poms are indeed bigger than my fists and deep magenta right now. (The Wonderful fruits are still small and just starting to turning red in blushes).

Yesterday, I cut off a smaller Parfianka fruit to taste, and I'm a little disappointed in their flavor so far, which is just too sweet with no tartness. (Kind of one-note.). I had read that Parfianka was a taste-test winner and is supposed to taste similar to Wonderful, but with soft edible seeds.

However, the Parfianka fruit I tasted was sweet only, no tartness at all. I find white or pink pomegranate varieties to be too sweet and one-dimensional, which is why I avoid them in general.

Is it possible that what I have is not a Parfianka at all? Or do I have to let the fruit hang a little longer on the tree for it to develop its full flavor?

I have read that sometimes nurseries mislabel their plant varieties, so I'm trying to see if what I have is indeed a "Parfianka". I have Wonderful Pomegranates as a base for comparison, and they do have very different growth patterns.

One very distinct feature for my Parfiankas is that the young fruit is two-toned: bright green on the round part and hot pink on the tips (calyx). The green part becomes more hot pink as it grows, and then overall ripens to a deep magenta. The calyx is large and more of a volcano shape.

In contrast, the young Wonderful fruit is entirely dull green with dark red speckles that look like rashes. It stays dull green for the majority of growth and then starts turning red in splotches, until it ripens to a dark red. The calyx is smaller, thinner and flares out at the tip.

So, can I ask if any of you with Parfianka pomegranate trees find that yours fits the same description as mine (growth and taste-wise)? Are your Parfianka fruits ripe right about now too? (The Wonderfuls are still small and greenish).

I'm hoping that someone could help put my mind at ease by confirming the true identity of my pomegranate tree,

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,
Sandy

Comments (13)