SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

My Personal Mealy Nightmare

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have had these pots with multiple plants aranged in them . Some were done 6 years ago.. I have shown many pictures of them through the years. Slowly they have become over grown. I have changed them, subtracted and added to them through the years. I have REALLY enjoyed them. This year with all the rains and two trips out of town and then 3 months of not a drop and high temperatures, things looked pretty bad. I had a lot of deaths and deaths of some pretty cool plants. I lost E. afterglow, E subridgida, E. cant, fenestaria (sp?) and many hearnias and stapeliads. I have been working at my job pretty hard and I started to think , maybe it is not rot and started looking and realized it was mealies. I have not had mealies ever and had become fairly lax in my care. My experience now is that huernias and echeverias are the most susceptible of the plants that I have. The opuntias don't seem to be bothered in a life and death way. Maybe they are not the first on the menu. Maybe now that the choice things are mostly history, they will be next.

Anyway I took three combo pots and dismembered them. I had not changed out the dirt since they were made . This is a situation of my making. That is when I realized that mealies were in more places then I thought. I pulled many small pots with dead or sickly plants and started tearing stuff up, Dunking them in warm water, spraying them with dawn , rinsing and spraying with alcohol. . I took my decorative rocks and pot them in boiled water. Pots got scrubbed out in boiled water. I have no idea if I am doing it right, I am just doing it.

My ever expanding ER

I planted many of the cold hardy plants in the dirt. and gave the thugs their own pots and started all over again....Sad and hopeful.

The one above is my playing with different colors pots and the one below are the remnants of the small huernias and staples. I think they are entirely to green. I am a bit bored by this pot. So I see future messing with this one.

I have 2 more big combo pots the one below, I love the composition and it has had death of several plants so mealies are in there. I poked out some Stapelia scitula and saw fuzzy masses in the roots. The fennestaria that have been with me since the beginning are probably beyond help. We will see. I have them in a little pot. . I really don't want to mess with this one but it is next on the operating table , but right now I need to take a break and go back to my Day Job. Pots always look like they had a very bad hare cut.

I have three varieties of fucaria at the feet of the Opuntia 'Joseph's coat' that are very healthy and several years old.. That is a "Ming Thing" and anacapseros on the back side. They seem to be less afected Today, but I know that can change quickly. I also really NEED TO give this opuntia more root run.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!