SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Musty smell and dampness - Heat pump issue?

numbersjunkie
8 years ago

We have a vacation home in NC that was rented all summer, and we just got here last night. As soon as we walked in there was a noticeable damp musty smell. None of our renters complained (got glowing reports about the house) and our cleaning lady who is fanatical said there was no smell when she was here 2 days ago. There is no sign of moisture or ant kind of leak anywhere. It is a ranch house with an unfinished basement. We've owned this house for 25 years and have never had this problem.

I call the A/C contractor who installed the system (maybe 15 years ago) and he said hes never heard of an A/C causing that and it must be a plumbing leak somewhere. He says if the A/C is working, that shows its OK. And hes too busy to come out while we are here for the long weekend.

I read here about cleaning the coils, filter, drip pan, but our unit (in the basement) does not have any of that. There is a filter where the return air duct opens to the main floor. This is a heat pump not just an A/C unit.

Should I call another contractor? Other suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!