SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillius18

Check out this insane kitchen -- Flinstones House

Jillius
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

There is an unusual house where I grew up that is on a hill and visible from an adjacent freeway. I saw this every day on my way to school:

Here it is closer up:

Back then, it was painted white, and we called it "the mashed potatoes house". Now it's painted orange and people are calling it "the Flinstones house". It was such an unusual structure (generally, but also for the area, which is otherwise filled with traditional mansions) that everybody knew of it. And obviously for me and my classmates at that age, the home inspired a fair amount of interest and wonder.

(My mom was a lawyer for the town this is in and apparently the construction of this house immediately inspired the people of Hillsborough to pass new town laws so that nothing this weird could ever be built there again.)

One of my elementary school classmates posted on Facebook today that the home is up for sale and linked to the realtor's website. Here is the site with pictures of the whole house and a virtual tour: http://www.flintstonehouse280.com/

I'd never seen inside the home, so that was interesting by itself, but the kitchen is completely unlike anything I've ever seen before. I thought you'd all enjoy seeing it.

The craziest thing to me is that it actually has perfect fridge --> sink --> prep counter --> cooktop flow, and (paging funkycamper!) the dishwasher is not under the prep counter.

And I am surprised at how much I like the rest of the house. It seems kind of soft and cool and peaceful.

And the little amorphous stained glass windows are charming.

Comments (35)