SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanasflowers

Baptista, False Indigo transplant question

Last summer my daughter and I passed an Amish farm that had a (huge) false indigo in full bloom along the road. We weren't familiar with this plant and stopped to ask about it. The lady we talked to had her husband dig up a section for us which had very little soil attached. It was labor intensive, and he just hacked it out. All the roots were cut, and when we got home, I divided the section into 2 parts (7-9 stalks each. I planted mine that day but my daughter planted hers a day or two later. Both grew well, and hers had 2 blooms this spring. Mine didn't, but I have 11 stalks. I transplanted mine yesterday to a better location, and in just one year, the roots were huge, and they were covered in swollen white growth nodules for next years stalks (I'm guessing). Also, towards the ends, the roots were covered in little bulblets, or that's what they looked like. I know I didn't get all the roots, but way more than they had when I originally planted them. Both places have good black topsoil, but the new location is nearer the drip line, and has more sun, but lots more room to expand. I can't wait till it blooms, but in reading other posts, it seems that it likes drier, sandy soil. My soil drains very well, so hopefully the drip line being a foot or so behind it won't be a problem. Was this location a bad choice?

Comments (3)