SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Bad reaction to new Feliway Multicat ?

Debbie Downer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My brown tabby was in the hospital overnight and was diagnosed with feline vestibular disease , which severely effects balance. When he came home with hospital smells on him and behaving so differently, my other cat Orange was afraid of him and would hiss and take swipes at him. Actually this is pretty typical reaction when one cat comes home from vet or hospital, and I thought Id get some Feliway because that's seem to help in the past.

I thought Id try the new MULTICAT formula instead of the regular formula I've always used.

Well, a few days later I came home to find Orange hiding deep within a storage cabinet, behind some stuff, where he pretty much stayed the next few days. He would come out hesitantly if I coaxed him out, but the minute he saw or heard Figgy even from a distance he would get all twitchy and look terrified and go diving back into the deep recesses of the cabinet.

He was showing all the symptoms of full blown hyperesthesia! Actually, I didnt know what it was called at first - I googled "twitchy cat" and came up with all kinds of info about it. Oh great, I thought. Another weird cat disease.

I observed the same confused twitchy behavior, dilated pupils, etc. as described in the articles. I even saw the "rolling skin" thing - the muscles on his back rippling like a wave under the skin. Very strange. One time I just held him and massaged his back and that seemed to help although the articles warn that petting can be a trigger. It just broke my heart to see this usually confident and happy cat acting like this.

This went on for a couple days until suddenly I realized - this all started a couple days after I had plugged in that new MULTICAT diffuser! So I pulled it out and put back in one that was REGULAR formula, and literally, within 2 hours Orange came out of hiding and was starting to seem a little more relaxed. After 2 days he was pretty much back to being his relaxed, sweet lovable self. Now he and Figgy still aren't close pals like they used to be but they seem to be tolerating each other pretty well.

Interestingly - wikipedia article says a suspected cause of hyperesthesia is suppressed aggression. This is VERY interesting because when I bought the MULTICAT Feliway the guy told me that in addition to the usual happy cat pheremone that's in the original formula, they added another one that mimics the pheremone the mother cat emits to keep harmony between the kittens and keep them from attacking each other.

HMMMMMM......

Well I have no real scientific proof that the MULTICAT caused Orange's symptoms. Its a new product and there isnt much written about it or any reviews pro or con. I'm not about to try it again to see if the same thing happens! So I admit, it very well could be a coincidence that Orange developed these symptoms during the very period this product was in use.

But I know what I saw and I know that what I saw was radically different from what Ive seen before or since. Like every cat Ive ever had, Orange would occasionally twitch, swish his tail, etc. but always brief and nothing out of the ordinary, nothing like he was those few days.

Just thought I should put this out there in case anyone else observes anything similar. If you do and if you are using this product, then you might want to try NOT using it and see what happens.

Comments (12)