SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjcpeterson

What shrub to plant as natural fenceline on top of retaining wall

mjcpeterson
8 years ago

So our deck design had to be adjusted due to the location of our septic tank. Originally the stairs from our deck would lead down to the stone stairs shown in the photo below and act as a barrier to keep the kids away from the retaining wall drop off. Instead now I have a big open space that needs to be filled. I'm wondering what type of shrub I could use as a sort of natural fence to keep people (especially our children) safe from that drop off. Is there any shrub that is recommended for something like this? Maybe something fragrant, as the septic tank is right there and can sometimes have an unpleasant smell when the wind is just right. We do plan on rocking the area and having other plants in front of these shrubs. We are in zone 4b/4a (right on the line) and in the upper midwest.

Please let me know if you need anymore information or if you have any other ideas!

We would probably use the same plants on this side as well on top of this wall. A hot tub will be where the wood is shown on the ground.

Comments (7)