SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

I have no idea what I'm doing. Help me design my bathroom

rebeccamomof123
8 years ago

Me again. If you haven't been following along, I'm remodeling a main floor bathroom from a half bath with laundry to a full bath and relocating the laundry to the hallway in a stackable configuration in a closet with shelving. Upstairs I have an outdated full bathroom (not a master) but we're holding off to remodel that once we have another place to shower/bathe in the house. Hence, the downstairs is going first. I'm a family of 5 with my only other full bathroom outside the bedroom doors, so it's especially fun when I go to take a bath at night and one my one, my kids file in to brush teeth, etc. Luckily we have a curtain for privacy but it's not ideal. So, needless to say, I'd like a bath in my downstairs bathroom because I bathe at night and would like an option where I won't be interrupted by kiddos filing in. (They each go to bed at different times.).

Houzz is not allowing me to upload photos (anyone have any insight to that?) So, I'll give measurements as best I can. The space is 76 inches by 65 inches. The 76 inch wall has a window on the back wall, which is an exterior wall. Opposite that is the other wall, with a 30 inch un-centered doorway located 27 inches in from the left and 19 inches in from the right. The 65 inch wall on the left currently has the washer dryer on one side (which will be relocated) against my garage wall, with dead space on the other side. The opposite 65 inch wall has my sink, then toilet going from front to back. That is a shared wall with my kitchen which I'm not interested in disrupting since my kitchen was just remodeled three years ago.

Suggestions to fit a bath/tub combo? I'd like to put it right where the washer dryer was, but that spot is only 27" wide. I could bump into my garage, but there is no support beond that wall, below, since it leads to a garage which is steps down. Could an alcove be created without require footings/support to add about 6 inches? That's probably all I need.

Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing. I should mention that we'll be using the same GC that did my kitchen. He works better if I show him pics/measurements and he can execute. He's not great at design/layout.

Comments (33)