SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newtolawncare

Small Backyard Lawn Renovation NEPA

newtolawncare Scranton 6a
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello all, enjoying forum and advice. Thanks to all who contribute. Wanted to share small project details, any advice would be great. Background:

Found this forum after (unfortunately) I bought some product.

~1200 sq ft, in Northeast PA (Scranton). Not kept up over past 6 years (since daughter was born). Prior to that had commercial service. The guy said it was in terrible shape and had "difficult to kill" weeds. I don't recall varieties, was about a decade ago. I cancelled service when child came (~6 years).

Until recently (past week) No feeding or watering by me, just cutting. No weed killers either.

Since the kiddie pool & toddler swing set are too small for her anymore, the backyard lawn was cleared for repair. Also planning on using it as test bed (for me) for front lawn repair (next year) if it cannot be salvaged.

Goal: Have a lawn, starting with backyard. Started Wednesday 2nd of September 2015. Wanted to plant seed by Labor day (September 7th).

Current state of backyard: Gets ~7-10+ hours of direct sun during summer months behind me is East (in pic) standing on deck.Deck casts morning shadow, it provides shade until ~10-11am (there is moss growing at the base). Some vines on retaining wall (behind the trees, Thuja green giant privacy) seems to be growing into the grass from beneath. There are 12-14 ft hedges to the right, lawns veers left in photo, even worse over there.

On approx August 30 I laid down Preen Lawn Weed Control (before finding this forum) thinking I could salvage. There was essentially no grass to salvage. So I started with a "rapid reno" due to (possibly) quick October chilly weather.

The white stuff is dying cloves (I think) and crab grass, after I started to spray Roundup directly on it (before I found forum and bought concentrate+sprayer).

I used RU concentrate after that pic (Wednesday), scalped with mower at lowest setting Friday,and more RU concentrate in sprayer again Friday evening. Even with this approx 900 sq ft area, I had 2 lawns bags full after first scalp.

Saturday tried to setup oscillating sprinklers with a Rain Drop timer from Amazon (thank God for Prime shipping, local big box had some cheap/bad looking timers). My 10 year old Gilmore sprinkler wasn't cutting it possibly due to lower water pressure (I split with Y adapter for 2 sprinklers, get 70-80psi at the main, have expansion tank + this is opposite end of the main into house). The other oscillator was new, but wouldn't cover his "L" shaped lawn. I did get it watered a few times however. So..

I went to Lowe's and Home Depot Saturday evening and went "sprinkler crazy", I ended up grabbing a new "pro" oscillator from HD, with some orbit stake in the ground models as well. I grabbed some $7 cheap plastic square model as well. My local HD doesn't carry Lesco with Dimension unfortunately, but I grabbed a bag of Sta-Green lawn soil (at Lowe's) to fill in the swing set holes, a depression from a long gone bush, and a small depression in the middle of this yard (to avoid puddling).

The rotating stake in the ground models were tested Sunday morning (~6-7AM), they work great (after fiddling with them a bit). One is covering one half of the L, and the other opposite half.

After the yard dried a bit, I used a metal rake to pull up anything/everything I could. also roughed up the surface. What I pulled up, plus another scalp with the mower , filled another yard bag. I laid down some new dirt in the holes, and snapped some pics of the prepped area (I think these were before rake and final scalp).

Above - Morning Deck shadow on the right.

Above - The other half of the L, some dead spots upper right were there before I started.

Above- Larger dirt spots were depressions caused by draining kiddie pool for 5 years. Used Sta-Green lawn soil to level a bit.

After final scalping/rake. I laid down my grass seed (~9AM Sunday morning) and Scott's New Lawn fertilizer right on top (walking on the seeds). Used Scott's broadcast spreader. For grass seed I bought from Big Box due to timing, and learning how quickly I needed to plant in Fall, as preferred time ,just a few days ago. I choose Pennington's Tall Fescue. Was 20% off at Lowe's this weekend. I bought a 7 lb bag, based on bag rate it should have been enough for this area. However, I bought a 3 lb bag and laid that down as well. Here are pics of the mix label:

Above was the 7 lb bag. Below 3 lb bag.

After walking around a bit more, I let loose with sprinkler's, ran 3-4 times today (pretty hot Labor day weekend, almost 90 or at 90 each day). This dirt dries quickly due to direct sun and lack of rain past month. I will settle in at every 6 hours going forward, for 15 minutes a pop.

Last shots below, finished before 11:30AM Sunday prior to Labor Day. I realize I should have started weeks ago, and should try better seed, and things like Dimension/Tenacity (I think?),but didn't have time. Other than that, any advice?

Comments (18)