SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Removing old metal (welded and riveted) gate hardware

Tmnca
8 years ago

Our front garden gate needs a new latch, I would like to install a thumb-latch handle type. The gate itself is wood in a very sturdy metal welded frame, set in a fence of the same construction. I have found a latch that will work nicely, but it needs to be set lower down in the gate that the old wire-pull gate latch that was previously on there. The new latch would be installed into the wood on the gate, and the catch into metal on the post of the fence.

I have questions on the best way to remove the old hardware, and to fasten the new hardware:

The old hardware is attached to the metal fence frame and gate frame by a combination of rivets (the latch and the handle) and welding (the crossbar - not sure what to call it - which broke off and left behind just a welded glob). I tried using a metal drill bit to drill out the rivets but they are very smooth and convex, so my drill bit just slides off! I also tried a chisel and hammer but these things did not budge. Other ideas? I would like to remove the weld-blob from the broken-off crossbar for aesthetic reasons but I think it would have to be ground down or something. Advice on removing all these old parts? I own the basic power tools but nothing specialized.

For fastening the new catch on the fence frame, I have to do it on the metal as the post is 4" wide and the latch won't reach over far enough to place the catch on the wood instead. Can I simply drill holes in the hollow metal post and screw the catch in, or should I get a rivet set... or is there another method?

Comments (8)