last modified: 8 years ago

This thread is intended to give people a place to post photos
and/or talk about birds, critters, wildlife, fish, whatever - topics you
might not want to start a whole thread on, but are still
garden-related. You can see the range of possible topics in the previous
threads:

INDEX to threads 2008 to 2011

For 2012, see the links posted in

RE RE: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2012 #7. There may be problems with some of the links. I've corrected those I can edit.

2013 threads:

INDEX: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013

2014 threads:

INDEX: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014

2015 threads:

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #1

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #5

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #6

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #7
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #8

..............................................................................................................................................................

It's late summer and sneaking into fall and the insects are enjoying the harvest.

The first goldenrod blooming had appropriately colored insects on it. This scene really puzzled me - there was a wasp there but also something color-coordinated but with no apparent wings and with prominent legs. (wasp on the lower part of the pic). After some investigation I think I've identified it as a Locust Borer (Megacyllene robiniae) which is a serious pest of black locusts but also feeds on goldenrod pollen. It's a type of long-horned beetle native to Eastern North America. Not the clearest pics but the best I could do quickly. It didn't stay long.

The bumbles are busy. Here on a mullein.

And swarms of them are all over the sweet autumn clematis, stuffing their leg pouches with pollen. The clematis has a pronounced buzzing sound to it.

I think this is a honeybee, although I could easily be wrong. Honeybees have been rare here for a few years.

Claire

Comments (74)