SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabigabatini

What would you do with this kitchen backsplash?

sabigabatini
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

To the left the kitchen opens up to the contemporary living room, which overlooks a boat marina with glass sliding doors to the deck (balcony). Walls are a dusty blue (BM Glass Slipper) with white trim. One wall is almost fully mirrored to reflect the outside view, and the opposite wall has the pale blue walls with a fireplace in the middle (with white molding and black slate surround). Living room floor is amber bamboo with a huge pale lavender/grey wool rug.

Currently the backsplash is just painted (a creamy off white, BM Vanilla Iced Cream). It needs to live up to the rest of the renovation...there's nothing special about it and I feel it looks almost drab in person. Any suggestions welcome! Everyone else I've asked has said the same thing: white subway tile. I myself was considering a deep navy tile to match an accent wall in the living room (which is SW "Naval" dark navy). I'm the worst at visualizing. Thanks!

Comments (73)

• amykath
    8 years ago

This might be fun. Getting in both the yellow and bluish colors. This site has some pretty good prices.

tile

sabigabatini thanked amykath
  • Yayagal
    8 years ago

I would definitely go with a calming tile in a complimentary color so I've attached some below.calm colors and not much pattern

• Related Discussions

What do you think of this backsplash in my kitchen PHOTO

Q

Comments (16)
    That happens to be one of my all time favorite backsplashes. Unfortunately, I don't believe it works with your cabinets because of the two tone. Two tone cabs (to me) lean toward a more classic traditional feel. That backsplash (again, to me) reads a bit more earthy. It's not that it doesn't go with the individual colors of your cabinets, I believe it's because of the two tone. It's hard to read your countertop color on my monitor, what is it? I see that your uppers (beautiful BTW) have glass fronts and shelves. The shelves look to have a slight greenish cast to them. What if you were to do a mini brick (assuming you like that cause of the Fire and Ice pick) in a very pale green glass? It would tie into your glass shelves? This is from Oceanside Glass, Elevations, Color Midori Matte, 1x2 offset joint (I think). Just as a kinda idea of what I'm talking about. I didn't search a bunch of sites... just went to Oceanside cause I thought they'd have something along of the lines of what I'm talking about.
    ...See More

What do you think about this backsplash for my kitchen?

Q

Comments (33)
    BeeYOOTifulllll!!! I don't know which I like better, for me, I would go with the white ones, but the green is gorgeous! We had green counters in our last house and loved them. However, I love the white because you can change the accent colors of your kitchen much easier. OTOH, the green will be something distinct that not any other house you go to will likely have...that is a plus for me! Whichever way you go, I think it will be simply gorgeous!
    ...See More

Backsplash Help Needed - What would you do?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the suggestion, Davidro1. I think the Schluter edge is a little more contemporary and not sure it will match with my kitchen. Good to know there are other options though. Thank you, Babushka Cat, for putting it into perspective for me. Yes, I am so construction fatigued, I'm willing to put mismatched tiles on the wall! (After being so picky about everything else.) I haven't been able to find any vendors that have crackle tile in stock. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!
    ...See More

Backsplash? No backsplash? What kind of backsplash?

Q

Comments (25)
    didn't have time to read all the answers. I have no backsplash and have never regretted it...been over 6 yrs. It is painted with BM matte...which has ceramic in it. It is as beautiful now as it was when first painted. I love the fact that I can showcase other things ...art etc in my kitchen and no competition. Also if I ever want to change it is as quick as a paint brush...expense is minimal..paint only ! All in all I think it is serene as you point out . Here is one pick. Since I have a lot of high heat cooking in my kitchen..built in deep fat fryer as well as gas cook top I can definitely speak to the longevity of paint only. c ( more at this album )
    ...See More
  • sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you aktillery, that glass mosaic is interesting but not my style. I'm going to take a couple of pebble tiles home, and I'm going to get some other options too when I'm at Lowes tonight (I should have the place to myself on Saturday night of Labor Day weekend!).

In particular, and they do have it in-store, are these I browsed on their website:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_630842-87523-WN002SILV1212___?Ntt=elida+ceramica+silver+mixed+material&UserSearch=elida+ceramica+silver+mixed+material&productId=50334189

http://www.lowes.com/pd_644564-74035-LWESQUICKSILVER_1z0vje9__

Here's natural stone tile, has the calm blue, do you think the amber looks orange or yellow? :

http://www.lowes.com/pd_354396-93840-20-619_1z0z33vZ1z0zm23__?productId=3477525&pl=1

Classic carrara look stone (I'm getting away from the color aspect completely here, it's white and gray):
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_354384-93840-20-627_1z0tnk3Z1z0z33v__?productId=3477505&pl=1

• User
    8 years ago

this is the link

blue and yellow tile

• User
    8 years ago

I'm not sure a stone would work with the yellow...having a hard time envisioning it. What is your style? Modern, contemporary? Traditional? The yellow to me is contemporary and stone you linked to is more traditional or rustic?

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lukk, it's a contemporary waterfront condo but not stark. The carrara stone is definitely not rustic, more classic glam I'd say. You're probably right that it won't really go with the rest of things. But it's so preeetty!

And, that is a really cool site you posted.

• User
    8 years ago

Yeah...I had the same problem when we were tile shopping, soooo many over budget tiles I fell in love with. To help with the budget, have you considered doing a solid glass subway and having a tile feature as a focal point instead? Or a play with just white tiles of different shapes or even a solid piece in one color. I like the 2nd and 3rd ones down, they're very smart looking. The layout of the last one could allow for play with color as well.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I haven't considered that, not sure about it yet. But I saw something either on the Lowes site or a different one - can't remember now *argh* but it was white subway shape tile (rectangle) installed in a diagonal direction, and it looked really nice - still classic but different than the usual horizontal install. I'm searching for it...

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Found a pic, it's herringbone subways. Are they just for accent areas on a backsplash?

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I still think you need to incorporate the countertop color or it could look like a hodge-podge. It's interesting that people are recommending a completely different color because whenever someone posts a yellow/gold granite no one ever suggests a blue BS....the general concensus always is that you pull a color from the granite for your BS...unless you go with plain white. I would keep looking for something that has some of the yellow or find some accent tiles in yellow and incorporate them into a white BS.

• User
    8 years ago

That's herringbone and I think it would look really pretty. And a positive is the tile itself is not expensive. However, one thing to keep in mind when you look at the designs is that the more cuts, the more expensive the job will be. That's one reason why the brick style is so popular, minimal cuts are needed at just the ends. Herringbone would probably be a bit more expensive because of the cuts across the tops and bottom but with the cheaper tile it could work out great for you. This lantern is another that would work in your kitchen really well too. Another lady, Bee did something similar to this in her contemporary home and it was stunning.

Here they used a different grout color

Or you could just use some as a feature for interest.

Questionable as to how it would look with the yellow, but I like the play with the gray here

Joanie, the reason I haven't been suggesting more yellow in the BS is because the counter is a solid color and a stronger color to boot. If the OP goes with a solid white BS, the counter color will take center stage in the room but if she uses other colors in the backsplash like blue, white and even a tad of yellow, it will help the eye balance it out or soften it; especially if she uses those colors in other ways like towels and/or accessories.

• oaktonmom
    8 years ago

What about something like this?

sabigabatini thanked oaktonmom
  • chispa
    8 years ago

My confusion is that the OP keeps saying the space is contemporary, but the kitchen and many of the details in the rooms (trim, etc) are the opposite of contemporary.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oaktonmom, thanks for the suggestions and helpful input.

lukkiirish, I love the lantern idea!

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

I"ve been looking at tile for our rebuild and have found that mosaic tile supplies .com and Wayfair have some really pretty glass tiles like the first ones you posted for very good prices. I've already ordered some floor tile from WAyfair and it arrived with in a week and was just what I wanted for very little money.

sabigabatini thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

Wow, Wayfair has an amazing selection! They have white tiles in various shapes if you decide to

go that route. I found this one that might work with your colors and add drama if the darker tiles are bluish. I personally would go more neutral for resale, but you know how long you're going to stay there. Countertops are easier to change out than backslashes.

sabigabatini thanked k9arlene
  • User
    8 years ago

Yeah? Me too! I think it would be really pretty. It's different so it adds a little unique to it.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I like that elida one from Lowes you picked

sabigabatini thanked Kippy
  • sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's actually not. If I get a chance when home I'll take a better pic. It's not even close to 'grandma's kitchen'...

• User
    8 years ago

Her cabinets have a traditional styled door but the solid yellow corian could lend to either contemporary or cottage. That's why I think the simplicity of the white lanterns would be really lovely especially with the yellow counters. They come in various sizes, she'd just need to use a size that's to scale. I don't see it as a "grandma's kitchen" at all and lantern tiles are more classy than fancy.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's another perspective of the living space and (not your Grandma's) kitchen...the Xenon under-cabinet lights are on. The floor to ceiling window doors overlooking the marina/water are behind me. (I also included a closeup of the Avonite counter/continuous sink). Excuse the mess, just finished construction (ceiling skim coated, bamboo flooring installed). I love the chairs but they're being replaced.

• chispa
    8 years ago

There is nothing wrong with Gandma's kitchen. It isn't a derogatory term!

The space looks nice and fresh after your remodel, but on first glance I don't think anyone here would describe it as contemporary. You are free to decorate it in any way, but the room and kitchen have definite traditional elements. It is what it is. Some of the contemporary tiles you showed, add nothing to the kitchen, instead they make the space mismatched. I would choose a simple and neutral tile.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Beadboard

Blue

sabigabatini thanked tibbrix
  • oaktonmom
    8 years ago

Is your last photo of the counter? It doesn't look yellow after all. After seeing the latest photos, I agree with chispa that you should go with a natural tile for a more cohesive look with the rest of your condo. Wall art, paint and accessories go a long way to adding color and punch. Don't think I'd try to do it with the backsplash.

sabigabatini thanked oaktonmom
  • sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Eek, I looked at my photo and that is definitely NOT the accurate color - must be something up with my camera. It is in real life a calm yellow, DEFINITELY yellow though... with a granite-like inlay typical of Corian (though it is Avonite).

• User
    8 years ago

I see no reason why lantern tiles wouldn't work and look nice. If it were me, I'd probably go with a white subway and have some blue liners or accent tiles added in that carry the blue and yellow.

Chispa, for some, especially those who are grandma's, a grandma's kitchen isn't a big deal or derogatory, but if that's the OP in the mirror of her original pictures, I'd say she's put off by the term because she's younger and not ready for a grandma kitchen yet. :c)

• chispa
    8 years ago

Lukki, the kitchen is what it is and whatever the OP chooses to label it, isn't going to make a difference to the way it looks to everyone else. It is an older kitchen and only a total gut/remodel will change that. Keep the kitchen simple and keep the emphasis on the furnishings, art and water views.

• User
    8 years ago

Chispa, I was talking about the term Grandma's kitchen. Maybe our perspectives on what an older kitchen is are different too, cause I don't see that really either; could be a matter of demographics but where we are this is what an older kitchen (grandma's kitchen) in need of a gut job looks like lol We have lots of these in our area

• clara_sophia
    8 years ago

Is that a newfoundland? We have one - a year and a half old Sophia. Your space is so nice and pretty. Not "grandma" to me!

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm old enough (barely) but it's ok, my boyfriend and I are having a good time with it...now every time I'm in the kitchen he addresses me "yo, Grandma" and I answer "NOT classy!" :-D

I rather like the idea of sticking with the subways (or perhaps even the lanterns) and incorporating a line of color or some individual tiles in the color(s).

Clara, lollll! It's a black lab...an English Lab actually. There's a better pic of her on my profile photo (as a puppy). Newfoundlands are awesome, you will have so much fun with her. :)

• Scott Harris
    8 years ago

My suggestion is very "old school" and crazy ... Wallpaper. Wallpaper can be durable, artistic and (as only a backsplash) changeable as you tastes and styles change.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Scott, I in fact have seen some incredible wallpapers lately. So amazing that they make me want to do my whole house in them! Hmmmm, it's a thought but I'm not sure it's a good choice where my boyfriend (a chef - and a messy one!) will be cooking?

• Scott Harris
    8 years ago

I'm a sloppy cook, vinyl coated, with a gloss sheen will take the steam, the grease, the splatter ... with EASIER cleanup than anything with grout, unless you like scubbing. :-)

sabigabatini thanked Scott Harris
  • sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

no no no no no, I don't like scrubbing!! :-D Will look at some....

• dixiekayp
    8 years ago

Jlc712 further up refered you to the Cement Tile Shop. I'd heard of cement tiles, but didn't know where to find them before. I fell in love with more of their tiles than I have square feet in my house! With your beautiful, daring, not-trendy, stylish yellow counters, and navy accent wall nearby, that site has so many gorgeous tiles.... For what you describe, I would lean toward white with a grey design and maybe a touch of yellow, red, and/or navy. If you go with too much blue and yellow, it will look very '80s Provençal, (or was it Tuscany)? I can see texture conflicts with glass or ceramic, and boredom with subway tiles. I love the idea of wallpaper, but would read up on water-and-oil proofing. I think Lukkiirish is steering you well with her pictures of "lantern" tiles, the picture of the grey geometric, and the Moorish geometric, although that last one might be too rustic.

And have fun at street fairs finding something to hang over the fuse box!

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dixie, hahah, the fuse box! I have a beautiful tapestry from Indonesia (given to me by - drumroll - my GRANDMA!) that I hang over that ugly thang. Just haven't gotten it back up yet...

I will look more closely at the cements. I appreciate your input. In the meantime, a total departure from those, I just saw this online (below) and I fell in love...granted, it is subway...it is glass...it is blue (and I have no idea where to find it). It might not gel perfectly perhaps but somehow I think the happiness of this color with the sunny yellow counter will be a really cool beachy combo. The question is whether I should embed other tiles (yellow or white) within it, and if so, how....or, leave as is.

(Edited to add...my cabinets are pickled pine and sometimes they have that pinkish hue - ugh - so with this light blue that could be a disaster eh)

• dixiekayp
    8 years ago

I LOVE those tiles. If they don't match the living room wall, then add more be beachy blues in the same sight lines. I looked again and saw the pinkish problem in your picture with the counter chairs; you may have to paint another coat. I definitely would not add yellow in...just the blue. But here's my minor concern:

You have three colors all with different reflection/texture/depth/whatever-to-call-it elements. I had counters like that and the imbedded glass is very sharp-edge geometric. I had glass tiles too, but glass tiles are fluid under the hard surface. It was a little off.

Overall, it is a minor, overly designery concern. The most important element is that it looks happy. It's fun. You see pretty blue glass that looks like the water and pretty happy counters that look like the sun shining up at you. Happy is far superior to perfect. Your white Kitchenaid will look great (so would my yellow one!), and you limit all the counter stuff to white, water or shiny. More paint and you are down to two depth issues. You could add glass door pulls too. You'll have fun figuring it out.

And if you can't find the tiles, consider zinc or stainless steel :)

sabigabatini thanked dixiekayp
  • sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great advice.! Those glossy light blue subway tiles are the same tone blue as the walls though the walls are a little grayer blue (BM Glass Slipper).

I may repaint the cabinets, white, and was planning on ss pulls and knobs in brushed satin but not sure now. The KitchenAid mixer is actually cupcake frosting pink (see pic) - funny how photos lie! I love it, my fave appliance.

Re 'happy' design well, I sure could use a dose of that right about now! Re a SS backsplash, I actually have a stainless steel sample and here's a pic...I went to the Lowes site and a reviewer posted a pic of it installed with a yellow counter!! (also below). It has the lantern feel to it though it's not exactly that shape...it has a watery movement to the shape which is cool. If I went with this, it would relate to all of my appliances, they're all stainless.

Reviewer's end result, taken from the Lowe's site - he has yellow counters!!:

My KitchenAid.

• User
    8 years ago

We have an English Lab with a little mix of American Lab in her. It wasn't intentional but she's the same color as our oak cabinets and matches our rustic kitchen perfectly! :c )

I didn't see that your cabinets are pickled! I thought they were already painted white. You say that now you "may" paint them which tells me that you don't have a plan for the room as a whole and trust me, that's not good. Before you make any decisions for the backsplash, can I suggest that you first take a step back to figure out what exactly you want to encompass in your update? Then find all the elements for the changes at one time to create a board. Include everything on your board wall color, cabinet color, backsplash, counters, hardware, flooring, lighting, appliances, even the things you are keeping so you know going in that when it's done, you'll love it all and everything will fit together the way it should.

You should also have a good idea of what style you want as well, for example, the house may have some contemporary elements in it, but the kitchen itself and many of the tile choices you've been drawn to so far do lean towards cottage and/or traditional. And that's ok, lots of people mix styles and end up with some great looking rooms, but you should know what style you want before you start choosing anything. Maybe you can scour through the Houzz site and even blogs to find inspiration photos that have the look and/or some elements you like. It's important to do this. As you can see just from your backsplash search there are SO MANY options to choose from. What if you put in a backsplash that works with your yellow counters but when you go to paint the cabinets you find a color you love but then it doesn't work with anything else you've done so far? A board will help you avoid that problem.

If you want or need help putting a board together you can post a new thread and even cross post in the kitchen forum. Tell us what your hoping for and post some inspiration pics. You'll be amazed at what you can come up with. If something you like is too expensive, people can help you find options that will work equally as well but will fit your budget better and so on. I really urge you to consider this cause I speak from experience. I wasted so much time and money before I learned this trick.

sabigabatini thanked User
  • sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, I realize that. I was never intending to paint the cabinets, but when I was looking at that glossy light blue subway tile the pickled wood of my cabinets worried me because sometimes it looks pinkish, in certain lights. With the stainless I'd probably keep the cabinets as is. (Wouldn't white pretty much work with anything I've considered so far though?) I don't mind the pickled cabinets at all, mind you - I like them and would rather NOT have to paint them. The stainless mosaic tile is neutral and will reflect the counter in and of itself a bit...and relates to my stainless Sub Zero fridge, oven and dishwasher. It's a clean look and maybe I should reconsider what would work the best all around. You're right I need to look at everything all on a photo page with each idea I'm considering...I have some but it's not organized for this specifically.

• User
    8 years ago

You response makes the point. Updating is like a puzzle, if you have everything laid out on a board first, you'll know that when it's done, ALL the pieces are going to fit perfectly together.

Ha Ha, No two whites are the same, there are lots of whites with lots of different tints. Do a garden web search titled "which white paint color should I use" and you'll get over 208,000 responses. You need to figure out which white will work best in your space. And what if one day you see cabinets painted in say, a darker gray or navy? (a trend which is gaining popularity because white cabinets are so over done now) And you think, wow, that would go great with my yellow counters but cr*p, not my backsplash...or the paint I chose for the walls. It's all relative. Find what you like first, figure out what you're willing or want to change in the space and make a board with all your choices. It can be a really fun process, you'll learn so much and when it's done, you will love the results!

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I spent more hours than I care to admit researching whites when I renovated upstairs. I settled on BM Simply White for my bathrooms and hallways, and Benjamin Moore White (yes, that's a color! Contractor's secret! It's a clear, crisp white) for all the trim. I love Simply White, and if I were to change the walls downstairs from the Glass Slipper blue to white, that's what I'd use if it looked good in the light there.

I also have a can of BM Chantilly Lace from a project that I didn't finish, I would test that with the Simply White if I went in the white direction but I think it's a better white for just trim, or for cabinets, vs walls.

Question, for a home that is for sale, I know neutral colors are the way to go but would you see the pale blue-gray Glass Slipper as a risk versus white walls in the living room and entryway? I chose that blue because I thought white was "the usual" and the blue is pretty since it's waterfront, but it's not a dark or weird color either. But if I knew white is a better choice when for sale, I may reconsider and repaint it (there's not a ton of wall space so it'd be easy...there's so much mirror! Which is another topic for discussion - whether to keep the mirrored walls - they do reflect a lot of light and make the room feel more spacious - but I wonder if they look dated or not).

Thanks again for all your time and help, you've been amazing and I appreciate it.

• dixiekayp
    8 years ago

Lukki is right about boards; they help you think, and I have been doing them since I was a teenager. I've even saved my late mother's house boards from a college project. However, the ends to which we use them are soooo different.

I think the easiest to work with are big form boards with faint lines at the half-inch. For my current house, I cut strips of blue painters tape for walls, which need to move, and taped on pretty scrap book paper for furniture, applicances, etc. I have so many paint chips over the years that I may well owe SW and BM money! Fabric is my biggest weakness--I rub the between my fingers, move them to different lights. (looking at your stuff, you may want to look at the marrimekko site).

And I have executed exactly one of them. It was a 6" x8" kitchen.

To me, "done" means, "I perfected it all in 2004 !!!" Furthermore, some perfectly decorated houses are very hostile to visit, as my clothes don't coordinate or something. "Grandma's kitchen"? It was "done" --all fresh and stylish once.

Definately have fun with design boards. Then the next time you are looking for shoes and spot a crazy light fixture, you can say, "wow! The the black works with my surround, thing-a-ma-jigs are the same shape as those lanterns in my backsplash, and look! That not gold, it's yellow! I could hang it ____!" Or you love it and know it won't work as it, but if you change....

Since you asked, neutrals for resale make me tired. Live with the blue you like and paint it only if you want to. The mirror? So dated it is practically retro and I would absolutely keep it. The little part around the corner doesn't reflect your water, but probably cannot be removed with damaging the corner, my first thought would be a tall, skinny metal palm tree with green and white Christmas tree lights on it. You can do better. Can you raid your gandma's? For the main mirror, I can think of a whole bunch of things I would try out --most would not work my first attemp (if ever!), but when I got it right It would be fresh again and I would smile. You cannot ever work out your reflective or light-related stuff on a board--but this is about your backsplash and I digress.

sounds like you are going with the wavy stainless. I never get to perfect, but you are close with that one!

sabigabatini thanked dixiekayp
  • User
    8 years ago

I wouldn't change the color from the Glass slipper. As long as your colors are pleasing to the eye, it's usually ok. It's when you have colors that are more bold and harder to paint over that it can be an issue.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

dixie, I love your way with words, and you have an open and creative mind, I can tell! Thanks for the vote of confidence. This is taking up a lot more time than I actually have, but I'm slow to make decisions with this endeavor and this board has been sooo helpful! I think I'm going to trust my gut with things from this point forward. I'm extremely proud of how my upstairs turned out and I made every design, construction and color decision myself -- and I absolutely love it still, 5 years later. The downstairs is proving more challenging, and I have a lot going on personally in my life - my father is ill, my horse may be homeless soon, and I was just put on p/t from my f/t job. It's been fun coming here and using you guys as my design sounding board, it's my daily respite from the real world! I'll keep you all posted on my progress if you can stand to hear from me again. Cheers.

• dixiekayp
    8 years ago

I'm smiling. You made my day. And please please let me know what you do with your mirror!